Lifting Front Wheel

Stone Glider
Stone Glider Posts: 1,227
edited May 2012 in Road beginners
That's it really, what is happening and how can I deal with it?

At present I am staying in Australia at my daughter's house, which is built near the top of a cliff. My son-in-law has lent me his mtb which I am riding. Although too small for me I have raised the saddle and got on with it. The riding is good with plenty of trails and paths to follow but the gradients are crazy! Thanks to the gearing I can slog up the slopes sitting down, the frame is too small to stand on the pedals with confidence and all but the steepest parts can be climbed.

However the worst ramps have caused me to lose control as the front wheel fails to adhere to the road surface and I veer across the road. Thankfully the local drivers are very considerate and no harm has befallen, just a very worried pedalist who gets off and walks!

Any observations?
The older I get the faster I was

Comments

• cougie
    cougie Posts: 22,512
    I guess this wouldnt be an issue if the bike was the right size for you.

You need to get more weight over the front - so maybe bend your arms more if you can ?

Or just walk those bits - its not worth getting run over for.
  • rolf_f
    rolf_f Posts: 16,015
    Any observations?

Yes - that folk in the MTB forums are probably going to be better able to solve MTB issues :wink:
    Faster than a tent.......
  • Pross
    Pross Posts: 43,183
    Steep climbs are always difficult - out of the saddle and leaning forward you will lose traction on the back wheel whilst sitting down will leave the front wheel lifting. Has the bike got bar ends fitted? If not then that might help get the weight further forward. Having the saddle high should be helping if anything as it will mean you are putting more weight forward (assuming the bars are still set low - if not and you can still ride comfortably try dropping the height of the bars to achieve this). With really low geared bikes lifting the front or wheel spinning the back will often be the governing factor in whether you can make it up a really steep hill - as above, you may just have to accept failure and get off!
  • ddraver
    ddraver Posts: 26,661
    You need to shift forward on the saddle, put your forearms flat and "pull the bars" back down toward the contact patchy on the rear tyre. Drop your upper body toward the bars (but not leaning forward, reduce your "nipple to bar distance").

Be ready to shift your weight back if you loose traction, but then move it forward again straight away when your free again. On a really steep hill it should feel like your shoving the saddle where the sun don't shine!

10805121-cyclist-climbing-up-a-rock-with-his-mountain-bike.jpg

Be wary of the highest gears, sometimes spinning slower and smoother will hold traction more - although it'll bloody hurt!

Look as far ahead as you can and try to plot a route around the obstacles on the trail, looking for traction and avoiding loose bits, or big rocks. Look at the path you want to take, not the obstacles you're trying to avoid

If you ve not done much MTBing before, be prepared to fail more that you succeed - it's not easy! But it will really bring along your bike handling skills in a way that Road or even CX just does nt! Most of all enjoy it, does it really matter if you don't clear "that" section, if so then walk down and have another crack at it.
    We're in danger of confusing passion with incompetence
    - @ddraver
  • Stone Glider
    Stone Glider Posts: 1,227
    Thanks folks, pretty much as I expected, there is no magic ingredient to solve the problem. Getting off and walking will continue to be the answer. :)

My set of mtb skills is entirely inadequate for the challennge. :oops:
    The older I get the faster I was
  • bails87
    bails87 Posts: 12,998
    One tip that works quite well, try dropping your wrists. It stops you yanking up on the bars.
    MTB/CX

"As I said last time, it won't happen again."