Fork and Wheel Upgrades for a RockHopper SL 2010

mattrixdesign2
mattrixdesign2 Posts: 644
edited December 2012 in MTB workshop & tech
Hi

I have a Spesh RockHopper SL 2010 SL, it had been a reliable ride, only upgrades have been the tyres (some Nobby Nicks), after a recent ride to Coedllandegla I think it may be due a fork upgrade.

This is the model..

http://www.specialized.com/us/en/bc/SBC ... nuItemId=0

The fork is "RockShox Dart 3 SL".

I am looking for something that is suitable for XC, light weight etc.

Also, can you recommend a worthy wheel upgrade, again something light and fit for XC use, looking for the MTB equivalent of Mavic Aksiums - which I thought were a great Road Bike upgrade, for a relatively small amount.

Thanks

Comments

• supersonic
    supersonic Posts: 82,708
    I'd look at a Rockshox Reba, and a Superstar Switch/Crest combo.

About £275 and £220.
  • Thanks

Ref Forks what do I need to know interms of sizes/dims to make sure I get it right?

If I buy new is it likely that the steerer will need cutting down?

Is this relatively easy to tackle myself?
  • Chunkers1980
    Chunkers1980 Posts: 8,035
    Forks are steerer size and length. Disc mount fitments. Fork A2C to match frame.

Pretty easy to fit yourself, remove, change over the crown race and fit. Measure lots cut the steerer once with the future in mind.
  • Chunkers1980
    Chunkers1980 Posts: 8,035
    Oh and a fork that works with your new wheels (front hub) if you go there. But SuperStar ones a very good as they can be converted simply from QR through to 20mm
  • sensi10
    sensi10 Posts: 68
    Hi, all depends on how much you want to spend , i have 2012 reba rlt qr15 on my rockhopper , and quite simply they are the tits. Also look at recons which are very good and are reasonable priced .
  • spongtastic
    spongtastic Posts: 2,651
    Thanks

Ref Forks what do I need to know interms of sizes/dims to make sure I get it right?

If I buy new is it likely that the steerer will need cutting down?

Is this relatively easy to tackle myself?

1. You'll need a standard steerer model
    2. Yes, unless you order one with a 'cut' steerer which is usually cheaper
    3. I'd say it is, but that's just me. Go to your local bike store and see how much a new fork would cost to buy & fit, it may not be much more than buying one off the internet and then having them charge more.
    The only real problem you might have is removing the headset crown race from the darts.
    Visit Clacton during the School holidays - it's like a never ending freak show.

Who are you calling inbred?
  • Greer_
    Greer_ Posts: 1,716
    supersonic wrote:
    I'd look at a Rockshox Reba, and a Superstar Switch/Crest combo.

About £275 and £220.

+1

Or £180 for Rockshox Recon Gold dependant on budget. Both are standard 1 1/8 steerer. Cutting the steerer is a simple enough job. All that's needed is a sharp hacksaw and a ruler. As for the crown race, a screwdriver and a mallet will sort it. Just don't hit the bearing surface. Other than that, don't forget to purchase a star nut for the new fork!
  • Thanks All - will keep the above options in mind.
  • Giraffoto
    Giraffoto Posts: 2,078
    I have a Specialized Hardrock, which isn't too far from the Rockhopper in basic spec, and I've seen huge improvement from fitting a Rockshox Recon Gold fork. You'll feel like you've got a new bike. As for the wheels, I'll be getting Hope wheels some time soon - my experience of them on my road bike has been brilliant and I want more of the same off road!
    Specialized Roubaix Elite 2015
    XM-057 rigid 29er
  • dubcat
    dubcat Posts: 754
    Supersonic would you still recommend the superstar switch/crest combo as an upgrade for this bike or is there something else on the market I should look at? I have the same bike as the OP and already upgraded to Reba SL forks. Tyres are being upgraded any day now and I figured wheels would be a next step.
    2010 Specialized Rockhopper
    2012 Bianchi Infinito
  • Dubcat wrote:
    Supersonic would you still recommend the superstar switch/crest combo as an upgrade for this bike or is there something else on the market I should look at? I have the same bike as the OP and already upgraded to Reba SL forks. Tyres are being upgraded any day now and I figured wheels would be a next step.

Even more so 'cos you can get the same wheelset for £200 now!

http://superstar.tibolts.co.uk/product_info.php?cPath=74&products_id=496
    "Why have that extra tooth if you're not using it?" - Brian Lopes

Votec V.SX Enduro 'Alpine Thug' 2012/2013 build

Trek Session 8
  • Resurrecting an old thread... I never did change my suspension forks. After 2 recent trips to Coed Llandegla, a Blue run with my 8yo a few weeks ago, and the Black/Red run this Sunday it seems my current OEM forks are wacked. They seem to have lost their spongyness - i.e. rock hard with only about 2cm/3cm travel.

The bike is about 3 years old, and to be honest gets less use than the road bike... but I can not carry on with wasted forks.

So I have a dilemma, do I invest in some new forks and get them fitted at a shop (I don't intend to fit them), or do I consider a new bike in Jan (possible sale/discounts).

I am quite happy with Rock Hopper, but I do find the bottom bracket is a bit low for some really rocky terrain, gears (other than a wobbly front mech) and breaks have been mostly faultless.

I like XC riding, not down hill, I actually do well with climbing so like a nice light bike... but would also like to give full suspension a go.

If I am to stick with what I have, what budget would you allocate for forks? Is it a worthy investment?
    Is it possible to a get a decent XC Full Suspension MTB for less that 1k - that doesn't weigh a tonne - I doubt it?
  • mcnultycop
    mcnultycop Posts: 2,143

So I have a dilemma, do I invest in some new forks and get them fitted at a shop (I don't intend to fit them), or do I consider a new bike in Jan (possible sale/discounts).

January isn't cheaper, now and just before now is. 2013 models are already out.
  • The Rookie
    The Rookie Posts: 27,812
    The suntour XC family have pants seals, if they leak in water they give the symptoms you describe, a simple strip, clean and regrease can work wonders...
    Currently riding a Whyte T130C, X0 drivetrain, Magura Trail brakes converted to mixed wheel size (homebuilt wheels) with 140mm Fox 34 Rhythm and RP23 suspension. 12.2Kg.
  • Ive got the same Rockhopper, bought recently and immediately found the forks to be knackered, dart3's with little to no commpression. Ive fitted a set of Rockshox Reba RLT 2013 Solo Air, bought new from Merlin. You need to fit 100mm forks with a 1/18 steerer (same as origianal). You will need to cut the stearing stem to fit, just go by the same length as your origianal steerer, I added an extra 20mm to give some more height for my bars, bought some exra spacers and a new Star Nut. Really easy job and its transformed the bike for £320, but you can spend less if you go for a lower spec fork.

Good Luck.
    Paracyclist
    @Bigmitch_racing
    2010 Specialized Tricross (commuter)
    2014 Whyte T129-S
    2016 Specialized Tarmac Ultegra Di2
    Big Mitch - YouTube
  • Thanks I am getting quotes of 360 fitted, seems fair to me.
  • cooldad
    cooldad Posts: 32,599
    I'd look for some 2012 Dual Air on sale. Only takes 15 minutes to fit - simple job.
    I don't do smileys.

There is no secret ingredient - Kung Fu Panda

London Calling on Facebook

Parktools
  • cooldad
    cooldad Posts: 32,599
    Or Solo Air £276 plus a bit of postage
    http://www.bike-discount.de/shop/a82130 ... =GBP&cn=gb
    I don't do smileys.

There is no secret ingredient - Kung Fu Panda

London Calling on Facebook

Parktools
  • cooldad wrote:
    Or Solo Air £276 plus a bit of postage
    http://www.bike-discount.de/shop/a82130 ... =GBP&cn=gb

Thanks! Not sure if its because I was posting at the same time as your post, but I just lost some stuff I had written :D !

I'LL TRY AGAIN...
    What I was asking is what are the main differences between Recon Gold and Reba... This is how I see it

Recon - cheaper/heavier/less control/easier to setup
    Reba - more expensive/lighter/more control/more difficult to setup

...is that a fair summary?

Also are these fit and forget, or do they require maintenance? Do I need a pump all does a normal bike pump work? I would perhaps do about 8-10 heavy MTB sessions a year.

Sorry for being dumb on this, I know more about road bikes these days!