Best non cheesy wedding disco tunes

alan_a
alan_a Posts: 1,581
edited May 2012 in The bottom bracket
I'm DJing at a friend's wedding next weekend. It's been a while since I've done one and I'm thinking of making some mash ups for the occasion.

What are your favourite not too cheesy classic chooooons for the disco?

Ta.

Comments

• Pross
    Pross Posts: 43,163
    Non cheesy wedding songs? That must be the ultimate oxymoron!!
  • Cleat Eastwood
    Cleat Eastwood Posts: 7,508
    This is a classic.
    The dissenter is every human being at those moments of his life when he resigns
    momentarily from the herd and thinks for himself.
  • rick_chasey
    rick_chasey Posts: 75,661
    Slave to the rhythm?

Parent's first tune at their wedding disco.
  • Yossie
    Yossie Posts: 2,600
    Rage Against The Machine - Killing in the Name -

REM - End of the World
  • APIII
    APIII Posts: 2,010
    Exactly what level of cheese are we talking about here? We had Modjo - Lady, for our first dance. More mozzarella than stilton imo.
  • graham.
    graham. Posts: 862
    I would suggest this for the new inlaws. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=O_cso4MpFuo

Or this maybe. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iGKvnUm3OFE
    Graham. :D
  • byke68
    byke68 Posts: 1,070
    How about Woman - Anti-Nowhere League! :twisted:
    Cannondale Trail 6 - crap brakes!
    Cannondale CAAD8
  • Yossie
    If the groom dances with the bride's sister/mother/best friend stick on The Buzzocks "Ever Fallen in Love With".

Alternatively, anything by Nine Inch Nails.
  • alan_a
    alan_a Posts: 1,581
    I should have known better....

Looking for some nice stilton. No dairy lea.

Modjo/lady = perfect

Andy Williams - I love you baby = perfectly cheesy but utterly fantastic

Eric Clapton Wonderful tonight = slit my wrists

Macarena / ymca / grease etc etc etc = hell
  • Yossie
    Macarena / ymca / grease etc etc etc = hell

Agree 100% but unfortunately hellishly bad music fills dance floors. Same as ABBA and associated awfulness - I'd rather stick a needle in my ears and lick an IED but it fills dancefloors.

Unfortunately weddings aren't meant to be an arena of ground breaking music for afficionados - essentially you play tat, people get slaughtered, they have a laugh and dance and you do the business with the bride in the car park while her new husband is staggering around with his mates.

Well, its been like that at every wedding I've dj'd at ………

Any pictures of the bride's/birds who follow the bride up the aisle's norks then please feel free to post them in the normal place.
  • rick_chasey
    Alan A wrote:

Modjo/lady = perfect

Oui.
  • rick_chasey
    But seriously, slave to the rhythm.

If you want it a little more dancey ala Mojo - albiet nowhere near as classy, but, well, a fun funky dance record:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=pl ... 7cXA#t=64s

They seem to like it: http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=pl ... VjiYZT8ZTM

And it's appropriately lovey.
  • Yossie
    Smashing Pumpkins - Today.

While playing it you can also bore people about the fact that the delicious Victoria has got part of the lyrics tattooed down her forearm. Now that's cycling trivia for you.
  • mfin
    mfin Posts: 6,729
    Something by Rage Against the Machine (seriously).
  • CiB
    CiB Posts: 6,098
    I'd drop a Yes album on and disappear to the bar for an hour personally.
  • OffTheBackAdam
    OffTheBackAdam Posts: 1,869
    Roy C "Shotgun Wedding"
    Dare you, double dare you! :twisted:
    Remember that you are an Englishman and thus have won first prize in the lottery of life.
  • byke68
    byke68 Posts: 1,070
    Butter them up with the usual syrupy slush then put on some Napalm Death (Scum era) then Deadwood's 8 19. :twisted:
    Cannondale Trail 6 - crap brakes!
    Cannondale CAAD8
  • jc4lab
    jc4lab Posts: 554
    My Fav soppy song. aint disco but its .. Bob Jovi.'s....Ill be there for you..
    jc
  • rick_chasey
    KLF what time is love?

Woah, Woah...
  • Yossie
    There has to be a Beastie Boys tribute in there somewhere,. Has to be. It would be wrong otherwise.

End the evening by playing Oasis' "Married With Children".

A spot of "Cigarettes and Alcohol", "Supersonic" and "Wonderwall" will go down a treat - make sure there is lots of hand waving and lighters in the air for "Wonderwall".

Any requests for "Angels" by Retardo Williams should be met by a swift kick in the goolies. Or shoot them in the face with a gun.
  • thegreatdivide
    thegreatdivide Posts: 5,807
    I did the music for a mate's wedding and played 'This Charming Man' (he's a big Smiths fan) and had the Minister up dancing like a loon!
  • CHRISNOIR
    CHRISNOIR Posts: 1,400
    Get a bit of Motown / Stax on there. Every good-hearted person loves a good soul tune.
  • Aggieboy
    Aggieboy Posts: 3,996
    CHRISNOIR wrote:
    Get a bit of Motown / Stax on there. Every good-hearted person loves a good soul tune.

Yeah. This plus countless other classy toooones. Didn't know I could do romantic, did you!!? :lol:
    "There's a shortage of perfect breasts in this world, t'would be a pity to damage yours."
  • Yossie
    Lou Reed's "Perfect Day".