Rockshox sid 120mm reduced to 100mm

Andy_Newlands
Andy_Newlands Posts: 13
edited May 2012 in MTB workshop & tech
Hi

I've been scrolling through forums for a couple of hours now trying to find as much information as I can about reducing some Rockshox SID XX forks to 100mm but have yet to find the complete answer I'm looking for.

I'm currently building up a lightweight XC bike and like the SID's, but like the idea of a thru axle even more, and Rockshox only do it on forks 120mm and above. I have yet to buy a fork so this is the deciding factor in which one I go for. the 120mm fork is actually $20 cheaper where I'd be getting it from so price isn't really a factor and I'm happy to pay for a bike shop to do the reduction as I'd rather not mess with a brand new fork myself.

I know with the 2012 SID's they can be reduced to 100mm but does this in any way affect the behaviour of the forks? basically are they going to be just like an original set of 100mm forks or will the travel's progressiveness be mucked up by the reduction?
I assume air pressures will need to be changed slightly but is this process worth it or would I be just better off with a 9mm qr SID instead of messing around with a perfectly good fork?

Cheers
Andy
2011 Specialized Stumpy Expert EVO

Comments