2x9speed set up, can I use a 10spd front mech?

Andy B
Andy B Posts: 8,115
edited May 2012 in MTB workshop & tech
I have looked in the FAQ, but this one isn't covered & I've not seen any info on this particular set up

I want to run a 2x9 speed set up

26/39t chainrings

X0 3x9 speed shifters

I can get a XTR 10 speed front mech on the cheap & would like to use it if I could

Will there be any issues using a 10 speed front mech on this set up?
2385861000_d125abe796_m.jpg

Comments

• nicklouse
    nicklouse Posts: 50,675
    Not ideal.

I would just pick up a 9spd front mech.
    "Do not follow where the path may lead, Go instead where there is no path, and Leave a Trail."
    Parktools :?:SheldonBrown
  • Andy B
    Bugger!

In what way would it not be ideal?

Less than optimal shifting?

Or just plain won't work?
  • nicklouse
    It will work. But have fun with the set up.

For you I don't think you will have too much problem getting, or seeing when, the best ou can out of it.

Others might just try to hard and still not be happy.

Let us know how I goes as it is still a bit of a grey area.
    "Do not follow where the path may lead, Go instead where there is no path, and Leave a Trail."
  • Andy B
    I'll give it a go then & report back in about 10 weeks when my new frame arrives

If it doesn't work I'll stick the mech on my 30spd Cube Sting, a rather nice upgrade from the SLX on there at the mo
  • bails87
    bails87 Posts: 12,998
    I've got an XT 10 speed double mech on my 2x9 setup. It works a hell of a lot better than the Deore 3x9 mech that was on there before. Setup was very easy too, no dropped chains, no missed shifts.
    MTB/CX

"As I said last time, it won't happen again."
  • nicklouse
    bails87 wrote:
    I've got an XT 10 speed double mech on my 2x9 setup. It works a hell of a lot better than the Deore 3x9 mech that was on there before. Setup was very easy too, no dropped chains, no missed shifts.
    with what shifter?
  • bails87
    bails87 Posts: 12,998
    SRAM X9 9 speed from a few years ago.

Edit: I should add, the reason the 9 speed mech didn't work well was because it was a triple and the cage was too long for it to be positioned properly. It hit the chainstay before it was low enough, whereas with the double the smaller cage means I can position it properly. So a 9 speed double front mech may work better, but the 10 speed one shifts cleanly so the difference would be negligible.
    MTB/CX

"As I said last time, it won't happen again."