So how do feed stations work in a sportive?

Cool4catz
Cool4catz Posts: 76
I have my first sportive this weekend on the Baleach and whilst there are no feed stations en route i wondered how in a normal sportive how taking time for some chuck and a drink impacts on your time. Do you need to take a break and if you do is there a time limit on the stop?
I'm thinking of doing the Trossach Ton next month which has two feed stations en route. Advice and information very welcome.

Comments

• Cleat Eastwood
    Cleat Eastwood Posts: 7,508
    you just go to the feed station and if the food is free just grab and eat - its usually standard fare - bananas, cakes, water - some have energy drink refills/gels - depends on who is sponsoring I guess. There are usually queues so even if all you want is a butty it will probably take a good five minutes. Anyway its goo dto have a break and a natter with fellow sufferers.

Theres no compulsion to take a stop and i've been on rides where groups have stopped and taken on food and drinks at pubs or cafes.

There are no time limits you can stay as long as you like - some timed sportives will have a mat you ride over to stop your timing chip, but most dont have this.

Bottom line is if you're hungry or need a refill or just to grab some bars to stick in your pocket then use the stop - if you feel you can plow on then carry on carrying on....and good luck
    The dissenter is every human being at those moments of his life when he resigns
    momentarily from the herd and thinks for himself.
  • Edward H
    Edward H Posts: 38
    There you go, Cleat summed it all up.
  • Cool4catz
    Cool4catz Posts: 76
    Edward H wrote:
    There you go, Cleat summed it all up.

true, very true. I've signed up for the Trossach Ton this morning so I'll take the good advice and enjoy the experience. Off to Applecross tomorrow, good luck anyone and everyone doing the Baelach Beag. THanks
  • kim10
    kim10 Posts: 186
    Just a word of advice. Make sure you take some food/energy bars etc yourself as you cannot have guarantee that there will be anything left at the feed stops. I have been to a few sportives where the feed stops has been badly stocked and run out quickly. If it’s a well organised event there will probably not be any problems but I always turn up with enough food to see me through just in case.

Good luck with the ride.
  • Ron Stuart
    Ron Stuart Posts: 1,242
    Apart from kim10's good advice I would just add that in particular with energy products one man's cup tea isn't another's in other words the strength of energy drink given isn't normally at your control. Neither is type of drink or gels if supplied.
    Eat/drink only that which you have experienced prior to the event as being useful, having a guts ache or wanting to dive behind a bush isn't what the day's outing should be about. Best to experiment on your training rides. Sometimes it can go wrong with a certain combination of products.
    In my experience what the 'Industry' tells you to take and how frequently is over the top with energy products. I rotate a biddon of water with a biddon of energy drink plus nuun tablet in second biddon on hot day and so on. Food solids and real food plus slow release sugars in like fig biscuits till 70% into ride then just a gel every 15 miles with plenty of water. That's for me, what works for you may be different so try a few things out before your event. What's available at the feeds varies and please don't fill your pockets with free gels to take home be considerate, remember those behind might well have been cycling longer than you and feel the benefit all the more.
    Enjoy 8)
  • hatone
    hatone Posts: 228
    With regards to carrying some of your own food, I'd recommend you make/bake them. No need to buy gels, cereal bars or ready made biscuits.

I make my own flapjacks, which is dead easy to make. They're a good form of food solids, slow release energy and provide a sugar boost. I cut them into 3'' by 1.5'' wedges then wrap in foil. Plus they survive well in your back pocket, especially on hot days (unlike cake or soft'ish based food). Best of all, tasty esp with sultanas thrown in!
  • Generally most sportives are well stocked with a good range of food to suit most tastes, but it is worth taking some of your own food just in case either there really isn't anything you like or they have run out, or on some of the bigger sportives, it can be a real scrum to get to the food, so it's easier not to stop, but make sure you do have enough to drink.
    There is nothing like the incredible feeling of summiting a Tour climb with blue skies all around and the sun on your back.
  • Wirral_paul
    Wirral_paul Posts: 2,476
    If you're worried about your time so much then enter a Time Trial. Otherwise, just enjoy the day and try not to worry too much about the time - for me at least its more of a social day out on new roads with new scenery to enjoy.
  • leshere
    leshere Posts: 38
    Hmm I am just about to enter Sportive for first time too (Ups and Downs)...all this talk of busy and/or empty feed stations I feel an attack of Soreen coming on. I do with the home made route too. Fruit Juice cut with water 50:50 a pinch of salt or some crisps, bit on banana gives a good balance...but malt bread from home is never the same as some squidgy soreen