How much can a road bike take regarding going off road?

dween
dween Posts: 12
edited May 2012 in Road beginners
Hey,

I've just purchased a Specialized Secteur Sport (My first road bike), coming from MTB to a sports hybrid which I could cycle the paths of Richmond Park.

How much can a road bike take regarding going off road? Would it be a big no no to go on trails/paths on a road bike?

Thanks!

Comments

• jmcc500
    jmcc500 Posts: 33
    Judging by this, a fair bit:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5z1fSpZNXhU&feature=youtube_gdata_player

Think it will be down to tyres more than anything, but I'm sure someone who knows will be along shortly :)
  • CiB
    CiB Posts: 6,098
    I agree; the tyres are the biggest factor. I reckon if a bike can withstand me using all my strength to nearly rip the bars away from the steerer whilst trying to force the pedals round up a masssoooof hill and then cope with a desperate late braking manoeuvre from 30+mph, it can cope with a bit of bouncing down a canal path. But the tyres probably won't.
  • Gizmo_
    Gizmo_ Posts: 558
    I'm not taking mine off road. It might get dirty :(
    Scott Sportster P45 2008 | Cannondale CAAD8 Tiagra 2012
  • gmb
    gmb Posts: 456
    Gizmo_ wrote:
    I'm not taking mine off road. It might get dirty :(

I don't take mine out of the house for the same reason. I'm nearly 15 stone :(
    Trying Is The First Step Towards Failure

De Rosa Milanino :-
    http://i851.photobucket.com/albums/ab78 ... -00148.jpg
  • Gizmo_
    Gizmo_ Posts: 558
    I caught myself avoiding a puddle yesterday :lol:
    Scott Sportster P45 2008 | Cannondale CAAD8 Tiagra 2012
  • jameses
    jameses Posts: 653
    Probably more than you would expect, but it wouldn't be comfortable.
  • ShutUpLegs
    ShutUpLegs Posts: 3,522
    Its a bike, whats the worst that can happen :?:
  • Duffer65
    Duffer65 Posts: 341
    My regular route takes me through Richmond Park and around the wonderfully smooth roads of SW London :roll: finishing with a warm down along a trail path. I've been cycling this route (with variations) for a few years now and my road bike is still in one piece.
    Where would you be if you fell down a hole?.. Stuck down a hole... in the fog... Stuck down a hole, in the fog, at night... WITH AN OWL!
  • dween
    dween Posts: 12
    Thanks!

So if it's the tyres that are the main problem, would it be worth getting some marathon plus/gatorskins etc?

The bikes is going to be mainly used on the roads between clapham and twickenham with the odd detour in Richmond park, and the weekend cycle to north london to see the g/f
  • rick_chasey
    rick_chasey Posts: 75,661
    paris-roubaix.jpg

ParisRoubaix_VeloPress_BobRoll.jpg.

Road bikes are pretty sturdy.
  • godders1
    godders1 Posts: 750
    Road bikes are absolutely fine on bumpy, uneven ground.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=pl ... TR3A#t=13s

As mentioned thicker tyres will increase comfort.
  • MichaelW
    MichaelW Posts: 2,164
    I have ridden a roadbike with 28mm tyres along lots of the South Downs way. You cant do "big air" stunts or crash through obstacles but you can ride carefully through almost anything.