56% off! How does that work then?

p9uma
p9uma Posts: 565
edited May 2012 in The bottom bracket
This seems like a good deal. If it looks to good to be true it probably is, or I have missed out on summat.

http://www.amazon.co.uk/exec/obidos/ASI ... os_product

I have just ordered one of these. It probably won't come, and if it does it probably won't work. I don't understand how Amazon can sell something over £100 off recommended price! I bought the enemy the 210 version of this watch last year and paid a lot more for that.
Trek Madone 3.5
Whyte Coniston
1970 Dawes Kingpin

Comments

• Jez mon
    Jez mon Posts: 3,809
    Quite why have you ordered one when you think if it comes it won't work ;-)

I got an electric shaver off amazon last year for a similar amount off...think they generally do such discounts when there's a replacement product coming out soon.
    You live and learn. At any rate, you live
  • p9uma
    Jez mon wrote:
    Quite why have you ordered one when you think if it comes it won't work ;-)

I got an electric shaver off amazon last year for a similar amount off...think they generally do such discounts when there's a replacement product coming out soon.

I'm sure it will be fine, my comment was a vague attempt at humour.
    Trek Madone 3.5
    Whyte Coniston
    1970 Dawes Kingpin
  • GiantMike
    GiantMike Posts: 3,139
    p9uma wrote:
    I don't understand how Amazon can sell something over £100 off recommended price!

Because it costs Garmin about £20 to make it and Amazon get them reappl cheap. The RRP is some spurious figure that the manufacturer comes up with so that retailers can offer a large discount on it.

For example, on my desk I have a soiled spoon. I would recommend that Amazon sold it for £1000. I sell it to Amazon for £10. They sell it for £20 with a 98% discount over RRP. The spoon only cost 28p to make.
  • mattshrops
    mattshrops Posts: 1,134
    GiantMike wrote:
    p9uma wrote:
    I don't understand how Amazon can sell something over £100 off recommended price!

Because it costs Garmin about £20 to make it and Amazon get them reappl cheap. The RRP is some spurious figure that the manufacturer comes up with so that retailers can offer a large discount on it.

For example, on my desk I have a soiled spoon. I would recommend that Amazon sold it for £1000. I sell it to Amazon for £10. They sell it for £20 with a 98% discount over RRP. The spoon only cost 28p to make.

AAH so you say, but just exactly how soiled is it? how many hours of labour were involved in said spoiling?were any animals or pvc clad persons damaged during its transformation? Not quite as simple as you thought is it? :D
    Death or Glory- Just another Story
  • GiantMike
    GiantMike Posts: 3,139
    mattshrops wrote:
    GiantMike wrote:
    p9uma wrote:

AAH so you say, but just exactly how soiled is it? how many hours of labour were involved in said spoiling?were any animals or pvc clad persons damaged during its transformation? Not quite as simple as you thought is it? :D

I wanted to show a picture to demonstrate. I googled 'pvc woman soiled spoon'. Never again!
  • p9uma
    Curiously there are no soiled spoons on the Garmin site, anywhere. Further one can buy the Forerunner 410 on the Garmin site for much more than on Amazon. And the 210 is more expensive on Amazon than the 410. There are no soiled spoons on Amazon either. I am curious to know wear one might purchase a soiled spoon on line. Maybe EBay?
    Trek Madone 3.5
    Whyte Coniston
    1970 Dawes Kingpin
  • rolf_f
    rolf_f Posts: 16,015
    GiantMike wrote:
    I wanted to show a picture to demonstrate. I googled 'pvc woman soiled spoon'. Never again!

I once Googled "tar sprayed hardcore" - a technique of using demolition waste to make pavement and parking surfaces. Or at least that's what I thought it was :lol:
    Faster than a tent.......
  • capt_slog
    capt_slog Posts: 3,965
    Rolf F wrote:
    GiantMike wrote:

I once Googled "tar sprayed hardcore" - a technique of using demolition waste to make pavement and parking surfaces. Or at least that's what I thought it was :lol:

I used to work for a company involved in reclaiming 'brownfield sites', areas of land that once had heavy industry on them. A famous place that was heavily polluted is in America (I think), it's called "Love Canal", not a good one to Google on a works machine!

The older I get, the better I was.

• p9uma
    Rolf F wrote:
    GiantMike wrote:

I used to do research for a radio station, when Christopher Reeve died I was asked to research Superman, so I googled Superman. I wish that I had not.
    Trek Madone 3.5
    Whyte Coniston
    1970 Dawes Kingpin
  • team47b
    team47b Posts: 6,425
    I once had to contact a design company called Attick, I now know why they put the extra letter K on the end, think Aggie's basement and then some!

Sorry Aggie, didn't mean to cast dispersions, but there is no other smilie that comes close
    my isetta is a 300cc bike