Puncture Blow-Out

Sesquepidilian
Sesquepidilian Posts: 83
edited May 2012 in Road beginners
Had a blow-out this evening. Nothing really dramatic other than a big ol' hole in the tyre. I had noticed a flat spot for a mile or so before.
I'm also wondering how common is this kind of thing ? What do you guys do when you're doing big mileage away from home ? I figured replacing the tube would result in yet another shagged tube so just walked the half mile or so home.
I don't really fancy fitting puncture resist tyres either, TBH.

Comments

• Pross
    Pross Posts: 43,183
    Carry a strip of tyre patch rubber or a piece of old tyre to temporarily patch a hole. To be honest I've only had the tyre burst on me a couple of times in all my years of cycling. Keep a close eye on your tyres and replace when they show signs of wear or serious cracks. The only times I can recall it happening are once when I locked up under hard braking and last year when the blackthorn hedges were being cut and the tyre got ripped in several places.
  • warrerj
    warrerj Posts: 665
    when I'm out on my MTB I always have a tyre boot in my kit. I use an old toothpast tube with the top and bottom cut off and slit up the side. They work REALLY well. You could carry 1 in you pocket onthe road an not notice it's there.
  • rob21
    rob21 Posts: 284
    Nothing really dramatic other than a big ol' hole in the tyre. I had noticed a flat spot for a mile or so before.
    I'm also wondering how common is this kind of thing ?
    sounds like you maybe running you tyre's under inflated.
  • desweller
    desweller Posts: 5,175
    warrerj wrote:
    when I'm out on my MTB I always have a tyre boot in my kit. I use an old toothpast tube with the top and bottom cut off and slit up the side. They work REALLY well. You could carry 1 in you pocket onthe road an not notice it's there.

Another vote for Colgate Tyre Repair Technology. Had one that lasted a couple of years after I had a new tyre sustain a slit in the sidewall. Just have to remember to put it back in when you get a conventional puncture.

Happens pretty rarely though.
    - - - - - - - - - -
    On Strava.{/url}
  • rob21 wrote:
    Nothing really dramatic other than a big ol' hole in the tyre. I had noticed a flat spot for a mile or so before.
    I'm also wondering how common is this kind of thing ?
    sounds like you maybe running you tyre's under inflated.

Only checked them a couple of days before though I could feel a flat spot for a littlwe while before.
    Possibily a legacy from a puncture I had a couple of weeks ago, maybe ?