Charge Filter or Kona Honky Tonk

pompeyvin
pompeyvin Posts: 12
edited May 2012 in Commuting chat
New poster here, any help, comments appreciated.

Currently doing a 13+ mile commute from Essex into Hampstead on an old Giant Boulder MTB on road tyres. Done it 20 or so times so far since I started in March, would have loved to done more but was put off by some of the foul weather we've been having. Manning up to the situation now and decided there's only so wet you can get, so just getting out there and enjoying it! :mrgreen:

I've decided to get something more appropriate for the journey and figured out I can save more than the tube fair this summer alone, so looking at getting something a bit quicker. Narrowed it down to a few choices now and wondered if anyone can help me decide. Torn between a cyclocross and an old school steel racer, so found a couple that came close to ticking all the boxes.

I'd sold myself on a gorgeous looking 2011 Honky Tonk on clearance at chainreactioncycles for £550, but wasn't sure on the sizing. Went in to LBS to get some guidance and they agreed the 56cm would be the right size for me. Got them to quote me for a Honky Tonk 2012 while I was there and on cyclescheme the pricing works out about the same, just not sure I'm sold on the 2012 brown paint job when I was so keen on the metallic blue of last years. Went to order the 2011 from chain reaction but while I'd been out it had been "discontinued" i.e. some other lucky bugger bought it :evil:
Put the cyclescheme form through today but colleagues have said HR have taken 2-3 months to get their certificates through in the past, not sure I can wait that long!

While looking for alternatives I've found the Charge Filter Mid on offer for £480. Looks a great deal and could be more practical than the Honky Tonk, with mudguards and, I think, clearance for larger tyres. Still not sold on the paint job, and had been looking for caliper brakes rather than canti.

So, any advice, suggestions, reccomendations or alternatives I should consider? Budget is £800-900 on Cyclescheme or up to £550 upfront

Cheers in advance!

Comments

• pompeyvin
    Hmm, genesis, not familiar with their work since Phil Collins, come along way then?
    Just seen their Equilibrium 00 too which looks a tasty bike, but maybe a bit more road orientated than I'd planned.

Why does spending money have to be so hard?
  • veronese68
    veronese68 Posts: 27,770
    I must admit I like the Honky Tonk. But, were I buying a bike now I'd go for a disc brake cyclocross bike. The cantis on my Jake are a bit rubbish. If everything isn't just right they barely slow you down. Thankfully, I've got them right now. But disc should be easier and more consistent.
  • rick_chasey
    rick_chasey Posts: 75,661
    I'm keen on my kona paddy waggon, so I'd be tempted to say go for the kona.

http://www.bikeradar.com/gear/category/ ... k-10-38691

They like it too.
  • FoldingJoe
    FoldingJoe Posts: 1,327
    I love my Honky Tonk. Perfect mixture of comfort and speed for the commute. I run mine with 25's, and SKS mudguards, and I would dare say there is probably enough clearance for 28's and guards.

How tall are you, where are you based? Welcome to try mine in The City near Bank if you are interested. It's a 54.

Alternatives could be the Kona Honky Inc, which has disc brakes. I was going to buy one instead of the Honky Tonk but it was a 56 and I was after something smaller.

Cheers,
    FJ
    Little boy to Obama: "My Dad says that you read all our emails"
    Obama to little boy: "He's not your real Dad"

Kona Honky Tonk for sale: http://www.bikeradar.com/forums/viewtopic.php?f=40090&t=13000807
  • pompeyvin
    Cheers for the advice all, good comments on the Kona has pretty much convinced me.

I'm 6"4' but with long body and relatively short legs (32/33), so was considering the 56 or 58, LBS pretty sure the 56 would be ok. 54 sounds like it would be too small for my needs, but cheers for the offer.

HR now saying 1-2 weeks for the certificate so going to hold on for a while as off to Rome for a few days next week. If it's not just about ready to go when I come back I'll look again to see if theres a quicker option
  • pompeyvin wrote:
    Hmm, genesis, not familiar with their work since Phil Collins, come along way then?
    Just seen their Equilibrium 00 too which looks a tasty bike, but maybe a bit more road orientated than I'd planned.

Why does spending money have to be so hard?

Is your commute on the road? If so, get the Equilibrium, just do: you'll love it.
  • pompeyvin
    So in an unprecedented example of efficiency, HR have signed off the voucher already and it's on it's way in the pot to me apparently.
    No more messing about for me, so Honky Tonk deposit paid and on order, just waiting to see if the bike or certificate get here first now!