Fixed Gear -> Fixed Wheel
Pavement -> Tarmac Road

Keep it going guys

Comments

• Hoopdriver
    Hoopdriver Posts: 2,023
  • CiB
    CiB Posts: 6,098
    Hey yer have herself a nice day now right? --> mornin.
  • Cleat Eastwood
    Cleat Eastwood Posts: 7,508
    Bush -> War mongering twat. :D
    The dissenter is every human being at those moments of his life when he resigns
    momentarily from the herd and thinks for himself.
  • rick_chasey
    rick_chasey Posts: 75,661
    Tire - Tyre.
  • rick_chasey
    rick_chasey Posts: 75,661
    Miles - kilometres :twisted:
  • Cleat Eastwood
    Cleat Eastwood Posts: 7,508
    Fanny Pack -> Aggieboys harem.
    The dissenter is every human being at those moments of his life when he resigns
    momentarily from the herd and thinks for himself.
  • capt_slog
    capt_slog Posts: 3,965
    15/64" x 25.4 t.p.i
    > M6

The older I get, the better I was.

• RonB
    RonB Posts: 3,984
    Randy (potential training partner) -> Randy (Cleat's permanent state of mind?)
  • team47b
    team47b Posts: 6,425
    Gee, she's a good bike - snigger
    my isetta is a 300cc bike
  • Pross
    Pross Posts: 43,163
    Surely Gran Fondo is a European term? It differs slightly from a sportive I believe as they are more of a race (which obviously we know sportives aren't ;) ).

Likewise Randonee / randonneuring comes from the Europeans.

Pavement is the correct terminology used in highway engineering for the surface of a carriageway as opposed to a footway so the Yanks are correct there I'm afraid. I wish more Brits would realise this!
  • p9uma
    p9uma Posts: 565
    Fanny > Arse
    Trek Madone 3.5
    Whyte Coniston
    1970 Dawes Kingpin
  • Mike Healey
    Mike Healey Posts: 1,023
    Pross wrote:
    Surely Gran Fondo is a European term? It differs slightly from a sportive I believe as they are more of a race (which obviously we know sportives aren't ;) ).
    Correct
    Correct
    Pavement is the correct terminology used in UShighway engineering for the surface of a carriageway as opposed to a footway so the Yanks are correct there I'm afraid. I wish more Brits would realise this!
    Corrected. Worked in local Highways Dept for nearly 5 years before retirement. Not once did I hear the word "pavement" used for anything except the correct thing, i.e. footpath alongside road ;)

anyway:
    Outer Lane - inside or nearside lane
    Median - no equivalent
    Curb - kerb (curbs are used on horses)
    Sidewalk - pavement (ok, sidewalk is pretty logical)
    Bicyclist - cyclist
    Rate of speed - speed
    Organising the Bradford Kids Saturday Bike Club at the Richard Dunn Sports Centre since 1998
    http://www.facebook.com/groups/eastbradfordcyclingclub/
    http://www.facebook.com/groups/eastbradfordcyclingclub/
  • rolf_f
    rolf_f Posts: 16,015
    Pross wrote:
    Pavement is the correct terminology used in highway engineering for the surface of a carriageway as opposed to a footway so the Yanks are correct there I'm afraid. I wish more Brits would realise this!

Why would you assume that the highway engineering term is correct in general useage?! We aren't here highway engineers :wink:
    Faster than a tent.......
  • Pross
    Pross wrote:
    Correct
    Correct
    Pavement is the correct terminology used in UShighway engineering for the surface of a carriageway as opposed to a footway so the Yanks are correct there I'm afraid. I wish more Brits would realise this!
    Corrected. Worked in local Highways Dept for nearly 5 years before retirement. Not once did I hear the word "pavement" used for anything except the correct thing, i.e. footpath alongside road ;)

Sorry, you're wrong - I'm a (UK) highway engineer and have been for 20 odd years. The first thing we were taught was the correct definition. If you don't believe me have a look at the Highway Agency's design guides

http://www.dft.gov.uk/ha/standards/dmrb/vol7/index.htm ;)
  • Pross
    Rolf F wrote:
    Pross wrote:

Why would you assume that the highway engineering term is correct in general useage?! We aren't here highway engineers :wink:

Just 'cos it is (or more because the OP has said it is a US translation which it isn't). Besides, Yanks tend to refer to surfaced roads as the "ass-falt" (even if it's concrete!!).
  • rolf_f
    rolf_f Posts: 16,015
    Pross wrote:
    Just 'cos it is (or more because the OP has said it is a US translation which it isn't). Besides, Yanks tend to refer to surfaced roads as the "ass-falt" (even if it's concrete!!).

But as I implied - it doesn't actually matter what the correct highway engineering term is unless we are on a highway engineering forum. Unless you meant that you get upset about Brits poor knowledge of highway engineering terms which no doubt is limited but perhaps not something to worry much about!

None of this alters the fact that pavement is a perfectly acceptable term in English for the thing next to the road that you walk on. Different terms mean different things in different fields. You only have to read one of Spen666s posts to realise that :lol:

And Yanks are a bit mad anyway as per their use of ass-falt (and for that matter 'gas').
    Faster than a tent.......
  • Jez mon
    Jez mon Posts: 3,809
    Rolf F wrote:

And Yanks are a bit mad anyway as per their use of ass-falt (and for that matter 'gas').

Gas, as a shortened version of Gasoline is arguably more correct than petrol as a shortened form of petroleum, as petroleum really means crude oil...
    You live and learn. At any rate, you live
  • DrKJM
    DrKJM Posts: 271
    Jez mon wrote:
    Gas, as a shortened version of Gasoline is arguably more correct than petrol as a shortened form of petroleum, as petroleum really means crude oil...

And if the TV yesterday was to be believed was a proprietary term belonging to one of the many oil companies around in the thirties. Apparently the correct term (or at least the one still used by the big wholesalers on invoices) is 'motor spirit'.
  • nickel
    nickel Posts: 476
    Allen wrench> Alllen key
  • majormantra
    majormantra Posts: 2,094
    Fenders -> mudguards
    Crankset -> chainset
  • rodgers73
    rodgers73 Posts: 2,626
    Median - no equivalent

Central reservation?
  • [Cannondale] Bugger = Buggy
  • Pross
    Nickel wrote:
    Allen wrench> Alllen key
    Or hex wrench ;)
  • pinno
    pinno Posts: 52,098
    Trunk - boot
    Hood - bonnet
    Expanded metal - weldmesh
    Gas - petrol
    Jello - Jam
    Pokey/Slammer - Jail
    Highway - motorway
    Rowt (verbatim) - route
    Faucet - Tap (as in sink)
    Fall - Autumn
    Baby carriage - perambulator

(Suthin' accent - baakreveewdatcam) on the subject of wheels:

"They spin up real good, didnt buckle wen I hit the pothole called the gran canyon an' I weigh 632 pounds" - "they accelerate quickly, are bomb proof despite the fact that I am too fat for a conventional bicycle"
    seanoconn - gruagach craic!
  • manglier
    manglier Posts: 1,259
    Highway - Trunk Route
    Freeway - Motorway
  • ddraver
    ddraver Posts: 26,661
    "adjectiveist" - use of an adjective with -ist on the end to indicate the superlative

e.g. Winningist
    We're in danger of confusing passion with incompetence
    - @ddraver
  • majormantra
    majormantra Posts: 2,094
    We seem to have drifted away from cycling words...
  • ddraver
    ddraver Posts: 26,661
    We seem to have drifted away from cycling words...

Well there are nt actually that many.... :wink:
    We're in danger of confusing passion with incompetence
    - @ddraver
  • nevman
    nevman Posts: 1,611
    Wheel>well
    Whats the solution? Just pedal faster you baby.

Summer B,man Team Carbon LE#222
    Winter Alan Top Cross
    All rounder Spec. Allez.
  • Ben6899
    Ben6899 Posts: 9,686
    Pross wrote:
    Pross wrote:
    Correct
    Correct

Sorry, you're wrong - I'm a (UK) highway engineer and have been for 20 odd years. The first thing we were taught was the correct definition. If you don't believe me have a look at the Highway Agency's design guides

http://www.dft.gov.uk/ha/standards/dmrb/vol7/index.htm ;)

I'm with Pross here. "Pavement" is the correct term for the material from which the carriageway is constructed. Most folk could be forgiven for making the common mistake that Pross mentioned, but I'm staggered that someone who claims to have worked in highways would disagree. Staggered.

Just my 2p worth.

Ben6899 BEng CEng MICE

PS. "median" is the central reservation. This term is used in the Republic of Ireland as well.
    Ben

Bikes: Donhou DSS4 Custom | Condor Italia RC | Gios Megalite | Dolan Preffisio | Giant Bowery '76
    Instagram: https://www.instagram.com/ben_h_ppcc/
    Flickr: https://www.flickr.com/photos/143173475@N05/