Man down: Tooting High Street (again)

mtb-idle
mtb-idle Posts: 2,179
edited May 2012 in Commuting chat
yup, the most dangerous stretch of road on my whole commute has claimed another cyclist. Tooting High Street circa the Trevelyan Raod junction.

I passed by at about 6-30pm heading south and two medics attending a male rider on the ground. I didn't stop as there were already plenty of people around and I hadn't seen the incident but best wishes for recovery.

Anyone on here know anything more?
FCN = 4

Comments

• DonDaddyD
    DonDaddyD Posts: 12,689
    Not just me that thinks this road is just vile. I could take it a lot faster but just don't have the stones.

Hope the downed rider is alright.
    Food Chain number = 4

A true scalp is not only overtaking someone but leaving them stopped at a set of lights. As you, who have clearly beaten the lights, pummels nothing but the open air ahead. ~ 'DondaddyD'. Player of the Unspoken Game
  • whitebait01
    whitebait01 Posts: 610
    I went through there just before six and it was ridiculously busy all the way down from Bec. No chance of safely putting down any pace at all. Don't know what it is about Tooting, but definitely the most dangerous section of my commute. Lots of dodgy moments along there... Hope the chap's alright!
    Ribble Audax - FCN 5
    Dedacciai Pista - FCN 3
  • Flyingbogey
    Flyingbogey Posts: 352
    Tooting Bec to Colliers Wood is to roads what Addison Lee is to vehicles. I have been knocked off twice in this area and Never anywhere else.
    Bianchi Nirone C2C FCN4
  • veronese68
    veronese68 Posts: 27,770
    I don't ride that way, but I can imagine it's awful. Too busy, too many side turnings, too many idiots. I'm glad I don't go anywhere near it. Hope he's alright.
  • mattcroad
    mattcroad Posts: 189
    I came past at 6:30 too, got side swiped by a lady at the corner before who was turning across me. Hit by passenger door while up on one wheel due to my hard braking. She said she didn't see me because she was looking at the accident ahead (how ironic), lucky no damage to myself or the bike as she did at least indicate, but left me no time to get out the way.

I really do think this is one of the most dangerous stretches of road in London, at least one man down every 2-3 weeks between Tooting Bec and Broadway.

I hope he's OK, but I did see the ambo's getting the backboard out...
    There is a rule for that
    FCN 4 2009 Trek 1.5
    FCN 11 2007 Apollo XC.26s
  • rjsterry
    rjsterry Posts: 29,357
    Used to ride it regularly, but started avoiding the worst of it after the first spate of accidents. Since I witnessed one nasty shunt at the foot of Balham Hill and then had a less painful bump in the same place myself, I've abandoned CS7 altogether. Seems to be a matter of time before someone gets properly smashed up along there.

Hope tonight's chap isn't too badly hurt.
    1985 Mercian King of Mercia - work in progress (Hah! Who am I kidding?)
    Pinnacle Monzonite

Part of the anti-growth coalition
  • jzed
    jzed Posts: 2,926
    The standard of driving on that section is woeful. My new commute is like this but for around 7 miles solid. Cars pulling out without looking, suddenly stopping to put the handbrake on before engaging first to turn the corner, pedestrians just stepping out of the road.

Hope the rider is ok.
  • Origamist
    Origamist Posts: 807
    I must have missed this by a few mins as I came through at 6ish. I hope the rider is OK.

This is a partial diversion (half a mile longer, but no traffic lights):

http://www.gmap-pedometer.com/?r=5453225

Unfortunately, I saw a scooter rider knocked off by a van driver half way between Balham and Clapham South yesterday morning. Thankfully, the scooter chap was OK, but his bike was badly scratched. I gave him my card as a witness (the driver was denying liability) and then realised I had actually handed over a Caffè Nero loyalty card - the shame!