Helmet - about £50-£60

sophidog
sophidog Posts: 180
edited May 2012 in Commuting chat
been looking at reviews in a couple of magazines and am considering Las Infinito, Bontrager Circuit, Giro Savant & Spiuk Zirion. The query i have is how far down the back of the skull do they come? Am looking for better protection there than the 'sit-ontop' Bell City that i have; would also like a detachable peak. Any owners out there that can help pls?
TIA
Road: Rose CDX-3000 Cannondale CAADX 105 2011
Turbo: Fuji Nevada Mountain Bike(Y2K)

Comments

• pitchshifter
    pitchshifter Posts: 1,476
    Tried a Savant the other week. Definitely my next helmet. Looks the business, light and comfy.
  • dhope
    dhope Posts: 6,699
    Kask K-10, half price @ £65
    http://www.planet-x-bikes.co.uk/i/q/HEK ... ky_edition

High end, and a very favourable review here
    http://www.bikeradar.com/gear/category/ ... 0-10-37848

Edit: Whoops, missed the detachable peak bit
    Rose Xeon CW Disc
    CAAD12 Disc
    Condor Tempo
  • vala
    vala Posts: 197
    Something like an Urge Endur-O-Matic? I just picked one up from Winstanley's for £64 delivered. Cooler then you would think and protection comes down a bit lower.
  • DonDaddyD
    DonDaddyD Posts: 12,689
    This got a decent review in Cycling Plus. I wear it - replaced the Propero bought in 2008 for £79.99

Just as good IMO, if a few grams heavier.

Specialized Echelon
    Food Chain number = 4

A true scalp is not only overtaking someone but leaving them stopped at a set of lights. As you, who have clearly beaten the lights, pummels nothing but the open air ahead. ~ 'DondaddyD'. Player of the Unspoken Game
  • Scrappaman
    Scrappaman Posts: 58
    I can second the Echelon recommendation; it's a good fit, very adjustable, comfortable, and loads of ventilation.

They also have more safety test passes to their name than most helmets and I've seen them absorb some incredible damange.
  • sophidog
    sophidog Posts: 180
    gone for the Kask K10 @ £65. At just a fiver over budget i think it's a steal; just need to find a way of quietening that 'shouty' blue bit!!
    Thanks for the pointer dhope.
    Road: Rose CDX-3000 Cannondale CAADX 105 2011
    Turbo: Fuji Nevada Mountain Bike(Y2K)
  • supersonic
    supersonic Posts: 82,708
    Best to try first if you can - the worsr helmets are those that don't fit properly.