Mont Ventoux

paulcuthbert
paulcuthbert Posts: 1,016
edited June 2012 in Pro race
Loads of pros have said how the Ventoux is the toughest climb in France.

I'm (finally) doing it in 2 weeks. Has anyone here ridden it? Just how tough is it...

Comments

• Le Commentateur
    Le Commentateur Posts: 4,099
    It's a long slog. Nothing supersteep but seems like a relentless 10% in the middle part before you get above the trees. It's a bit early in the year still, so might be quite cold nearer the top than in July.
  • TheBigBean
    TheBigBean Posts: 21,578
    You may get more replies on one of the other bikeradar forums. There are quite a few people here like me who watch pro racing and cycle very slowly.
  • gsk82
    gsk82 Posts: 3,570
    it was 36 degrees at the bottom (bedoin) when i did it lst year. it was an utterly horrible experience, especially the first 12k in the trees as they provided no shelter from the sun but stopped the wind circulating.

the descent into malaucene was the best 24minutes i've had on my bike and well worth the climb (which after the event i enjoyed also)
    "Unfortunately these days a lot of people don’t understand the real quality of a bike" Ernesto Colnago
  • andyp
    andyp Posts: 10,455
    It's a little bit deceptive as the intial few kilometres after Bedoin are easy and you wonder what all the fuss is about, then you come round the first hairpin and, bang, a 10% ramp that doesn't ease until just before Chalet Reynard, some 10 kms later. As gsk82 says, this is a heavily wooded section and if it's hot the trees seem to suck all the moisture out the air so it's a dry, unrelenting heat.

I've always found the final 6 kms from Chalet Reynard to be much less of a slog but then I've been fortunate and never ridden it when the wind is blowing hard.

Enjoy it.
  • Cumulonimbus
    Cumulonimbus Posts: 1,730
    Have done it from Bedoin and found it harder than the other climbs i have done in the Pyrenees and Alps. The bit through the forest is really tough and the final ramp in the last kilometre or two finished me off.

One idea if it is hot can be to head up early, ie 8 or 9am. Another is to spot the photographers from a way off so you can look cool as you head past 8)
  • DavMartinR
    DavMartinR Posts: 897
    As above really. I'd recommend you take a rain cape & gloves with you in your jersey pocket. The weather on the mountain has its own climate. Did it one summer high 20's in Bedoin,Seven Km up torrential rain. Absolutely frozen on the way back down, come hardly work the brakes. Very hard, but very memorable.

Enjoy
  • brucey72
    brucey72 Posts: 1,086
    I did the climb in 2009 and found it a very difficult climb from Bedoin - tougher than Alpe D'Huez, Galibier, Iseran or Joux Plan in my opinion as a result of the relentless heat when going up through the trees. The road doesn't have many hairpins either where you can have a bit of a breather like some of the Alpine climbs so the road just seems to ramp up at a relentless 8-10%. It is slightly easier from Chalet Reynard onwards but it wasn't windy when I did it either. The descent back down at 7pm once all the buses and cars had left was the most amazing descent I have ever done though, making all the hard work worthwhile.
  • curium
    curium Posts: 815
    Here is my review from 2010 - Link
  • exlaser
    exlaser Posts: 266
    brucey72 wrote:
    I did the climb in 2009 and found it a very difficult climb from Bedoin - tougher than Alpe D'Huez, Galibier, Iseran or Joux Plan in my opinion as a result of the relentless heat when going up through the trees. The road doesn't have many hairpins either where you can have a bit of a breather like some of the Alpine climbs so the road just seems to ramp up at a relentless 8-10%. It is slightly easier from Chalet Reynard onwards but it wasn't windy when I did it either. The descent back down at 7pm once all the buses and cars had left was the most amazing descent I have ever done though, making all the hard work worthwhile.

could not agree more, spot on.

i did the climb from bedoin last year with my brother-in-law, it was the hardest thing i have ever done on a bike( not enough training :oops: ) and that was with the weather being very kind.

but the sense of achievement at the top made all the pain worth it and has been said, the descent is amazing.
    my brother in law recorded over 50m.p.h on the way down and was still overtaken by other cyclists!!!! :shock: :lol:
    Van Nicholas Ventus
    Rose Xeon RS
  • dsoutar
    dsoutar Posts: 1,746
    If you think once is hard, have a look at this http://www.clubcinglesventoux.org/en/rules.html. I was aware of this a few years ago. Clearly doing it 3 or 4 times in one day isn't enough any more as they've added a new category where you do the three normal routes - but twice over !!

Madness - or madmen (which is what cingles means)
  • bisoner
    bisoner Posts: 171
    Has anyone managed to do the climb on a Tacx Turbo trainer (I have a Bushido) and compared it to the actual road? I've not managed the actual climb yet but I have done it a couple of times on my Tacx. It's certainly one of the harder climbs I've done on the turbo. I don't have the weather to contend with but I still sweat like a looney with the fan on full tilt.

Hardest for me is the Col D Telegraph and Galibier double climb, again, only on the turbo but really looking forward to doing this properly one day.
  • I rode Ventoux last summer as part of a trip that took in Alpe d'Huez, Col d'Izoard, Galibier and Ventoux. I'd say Izoard was the hardest. Ventoux second hardest. We were lucky in that there wasn't a strong wind the day we rode up Ventoux, but that just made it hotter. The hardest part is the long 10% section before Chalet Reynard. It's relentless. The road doesn't switchback (with one exception) so there is no let up - you don't get the short break that you do on the transitions on the Alpe for example. After Chalet Reynard it is easier apart from the 11% section in the last kilometre. As far as the section before Chalet Reynard is concerned, i would keep reminding myself that it is a mental challenge as much as anything else. Don't crack. I would also make sure to drink lots/have lots of gels because it's easy to get lost in the challenge during that bit and hard to eat something more substantial when you are struggling with the climb (i forgot to eat/drink, and almost bonked at the Chalet). If that's all the tough stuff, the good news is that the sense of achievement you get when you reach the top is incredible. And then there is the descent! Enjoy that, it is probably the best bit of riding you will ever do in your life.
    Fatboyslim
  • Mccaria
    Mccaria Posts: 869
    Bisoner

I did the Ventoux programme on the Tacx turbo a lot of times in preparation for doing the Etape in 2009. Mr Chalk meet Mr Cheese.

On the Ventoux the temp was above 40' on the climb and as others have already mentioned, the bit through the trees with the sun directly above and no breeze makes it very tough, brings back some painful memories. A lot of straight road at 8-10% gradient without corners for relief. Had a sense of humour failure at the 10km to the summit sign which pretty much lasted until the 100 yard to go sign. Worst part was that the Etape finished at the top of the Ventoux and we were driven off, so didn't even get to descend down the other side.

Would like to go back and do it again sometime but would certainly steer clear of the hottest part of the day next time.
  • FoldingJoe
    FoldingJoe Posts: 1,327
    Little boy to Obama: "My Dad says that you read all our emails"
    Obama to little boy: "He's not your real Dad"

Kona Honky Tonk for sale: http://www.bikeradar.com/forums/viewtopic.php?f=40090&t=13000807
  • Beatmaker
    Beatmaker Posts: 1,092
    FoldingJoe wrote:

Wow, I've just read that. Four times up Ventoux on a fixie. That man is resilient.
  • emadden
    emadden Posts: 2,431
    I did it in 2009 and it was a tough experience... I am by no means a climber - never was, never will be: Im more of a "punchuer"... :lol::lol::lol: So I suffered bad on Ventoux - but did find it to be a climb that I could get a rhythm on. Ventoux is not as hard as a number of climbs Ive done in Switzerland (Furka, Grimsel, Sustenpass), or even in the Dolomites, but on some those I almost stopped and cried like a little girl... So my experience on Ventoux was relatively more enjoyable.

I climbed from Bedoin - the classic route. From there to St Estève the gradient is sapping and deceptive - around 5%, but you cant really see it and it feels like you cant get going. Once into St Estève you swing left and you hit a 10% gradient that takes you though the forest. Im my opinion the first 2 or 3 kms here are tough. I found that from about 1km before Chalet Reynard to the top was easier going - I could get on top of the gears and the wind wasnt too bad. Well worth doing!
    www.dotcycling.com
  • Frank the tank
    Frank the tank Posts: 6,553
    Just finished reading put me back on my bike and the description of the Ventoux has made me feel it's something I must do one day. Has anyone on here ridden it in windy/less than ideal (whatever they are?) conditions as from what I've read the wind can be exceptionally vicious.
    Tail end Charlie

The above post may contain traces of sarcasm or/and bullsh*t.
  • ratsbeyfus
    ratsbeyfus Posts: 2,841
    Just finished reading put me back on my bike and the description of the Ventoux has made me feel it's something I must do one day. Has anyone on here ridden it in windy/less than ideal (whatever they are?) conditions as from what I've read the wind can be exceptionally vicious.

I did it a couple of years ago. On the day I did it from Bedoin it was really windy at the top. The last kilometer i had to unclip a few times as gusts were threatening to throw me off the bike, and shoving me sideways across the road. I also had to do the first few kilometers of the descent with one foot unclipped for the same reason. Great fun though, and I definitely recommend it.

I had one of them red bikes but I don't any more. Sad face.

@ratsbey
  • maddog 2
    maddog 2 Posts: 8,114
    It's a good climb. Perhaps tad harder than the Galibier, as the top is unsheltered and goes on for a bit longer. Longer than the Galibier and longer than you think.
    Facts are meaningless, you can use facts to prove anything that's remotely true! - Homer
  • greeny12
    greeny12 Posts: 759
    Did it and made a little film about it afterwards if you're interested:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XRUDnWe_H_0

Then went back last year and did it again, this time with added wind:

http://cyclingapprentice.com/2011/06/27 ... wind-king/
    My cycle racing blog: http://cyclingapprentice.wordpress.com/

If you live in or near Sussex, check this out:
    http://ontherivet.ning.com/
  • inkyfingers
    inkyfingers Posts: 4,400
    greeny12 wrote:
    Did it and made a little film about it afterwards if you're interested:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XRUDnWe_H_0

Then went back last year and did it again, this time with added wind:

http://cyclingapprentice.com/2011/06/27 ... wind-king/

Excellent, love the comments from your wife "watch that car"!
    "I have a lovely photo of a Camargue horse but will not post it now" (Frenchfighter - July 2013)
  • paulcuthbert
    paulcuthbert Posts: 1,016
    Thanks for the advice and tips.

Next question- how do I get to Bedoin from Nice (considering I don't have my bike with me)

:?:
  • carbonmanx
    carbonmanx Posts: 53
    im going for mont venteux in a couple of weeks and very excited about it!

a couple of questions I have to anyone who has done it, did you do it on a double / compact / triple and how did you get on?
    Just trying to decide which to go up on as i'm renting a bike from bedoin.

How did you manage fluid wise? did you take a couple of bidons and were you able to refill at the top?

I am going to be on holiday with the wife and kid, is there much for them to do in bedoin? or around the area whilst I attempt the climb?

any other tips or suggestions or comments would be welcome!

Thanks!
  • greasedscotsman
    greasedscotsman Posts: 6,962
    carbonmanx wrote:
    I am going to be on holiday with the wife and kid, is there much for them to do in bedoin? or around the area whilst I attempt the climb?

They should be in a car behind you, hanging out of the windows shouting "Allez, Allez, Allez".
  • Le Commentateur
    Le Commentateur Posts: 4,099
    Second time round I had a drink at a cafe in Bedoin and just took a couple of bottles on the bike. No problem.

But the first time I stupidly thought I could supplement the two bottles with a camelback and then found it almost impossible to use on the slope such was the effort required to breathe on that testing climb, so I ended up carrying a litre and a half of liquid on my back all the way up, with the sound of it sloshing around to torment me.
  • greasedscotsman
    :D:D
    carbonmanx wrote:
    im going for mont venteux in a couple of weeks and very excited about it!

a couple of questions I have to anyone who has done it, did you do it on a double / compact / triple and how did you get on?
    Just trying to decide which to go up on as i'm renting a bike from bedoin.

How did you manage fluid wise? did you take a couple of bidons and were you able to refill at the top?

any other tips or suggestions or comments would be welcome!

Thanks!

OK, I'll try some more helpful answers. :D

When I rode, I used a triple, a 53/39/30 with an 11-23 on the back and I was fine with it. But I reckon you need to find out what cassette is being provided with it. A compact with a 11-21 might not be so great. I would also go for the lowest you can get, better to be undergeared than overgeared.

I had no worries with fluids as I was on a guided trip. I seem to remember refilling my water bottles about halfway, but I'm not sure. But then my ride didnt start in Bedoin. There is a cafe at Chalet Reynard, which is 7km (?) from the top, so you should be able to get something from there, both on the way up and down if you can't get anything at the top. I can only remember souvenir shops at the top.

No idea what the family could do in the area, but as I suggested in the earlier post, can they not act as your support on the climb? The views at the top are worth driving up to see if you aren't riding.
  • carbonmanx
    in an ideal world family would be in the support car, however I may have some convincing to do depending on the heat to persuade my wife to drive for a few hours slowly behind me :-D
    However if there is a cafe she might be tempted to follow for a bit and then head to the cafe for a drink and take in the views :-)
    Thanks for the info anyway, its helped.
    cheers
  • greasedscotsman
    Well, in fairness you wouldn't really want them right behind you. But they could drive up halfway, wait for you there, give you a water bottle, gel, encouragement :D and then continue up to the cafe and then the top? That's basically what the tour company did for me and it was really helpful. Means you don't have to carry it all yourself. I am so grateful for the banana the guide gave me between Chalet Reynard and the top, was beginning to struggle at that point. :D

The views at the top are stunning, but only if it's clear.

Love the view on streetview, they go from this...

Sunny Ventoux

...to this when you click the "advance" arrow.

Not so sunny Ventoux
  • carbonmanx
    Yeah, im definitely hoping its not blowing a gale, although I know the chances of it being blowy are pretty high!

Be great to do it with a team support car :-) especially if they are handing out stuff like a feeding zone :-D
  • turkeytickler
    turkeytickler Posts: 640
    I did it in 2010 - certainly wasn't easy but as long as you choose your gearing wisely, stay within your own limits (I just found a heart rate that I could sustain and rode to that), and don't get unlucky with the weather it's really not that hard.

I am qualified to say this because on my ascent, whilst busy try to look cool and euro as I rode a "beautiful" stage, I was overtaken by a bloke on a unicycle. Yes a bl**dy unicycle - made me feel 2" tall!! Anyway, if it can be made to look easy on a unicycle, it can't be that hard....