Wheel help please

Tony__B
Tony__B Posts: 26
edited May 2012 in MTB general
I have an '06 Rockhopper and, having broken a few spokes in the last few months, I'm thinking it might be time for a wheel upgrade. I'm thinking this is the sort of task I should be able to carry out myself but I'm confused.

For example, I've looked at Hope Hubs wheelsets (on the basis of good reviews) and found this:

"The 3 XC rims (XR400, CREST, 717) all come as QR wheels with the fronts having a 15mm conversion in the box and the remaining rims come as QR, but this time with a 20mm conversion in the box."

What does this mean? My existing wheels have quick-releases, but what do the 15mm/20mm measurements refer to and how do I know which I need?

Forgive my ignorance: I usually get my LBS to work on my bike, but thought it was time I started doing this stuff for myself. While I'm on, any recommendations for robust wheelsets (I'm 14st) with a £200-£300 budget? I ride mostly round Swinley and don't do much jumping!

Comments

• Mccraque
    Mccraque Posts: 819
    Take a look at the Superstar Stans Superdeal @ £220.

I'm 14.5 stone and running them on my hardtail. I bash them around a fair bit and they're still running straight and true. And running them tubeless is a piece of cake too.

I believe there's just an adaptor that you screw in to convert to a 15mm or 20mm. If your fork is a standard QR then slect QR from the hub option. Ultimately it's just an axle choice now - the 15mm and 20mm giving a stiffer front end (and a screw through rather than QR), should your fork permit.

http://superstar.tibolts.co.uk/product_info.php?cPath=40&products_id=496

The Crest rimmed wheelset weighs in at 1650g and is plenty strong enough to cope with a lot more than Swinley has to throw at you. If you really want to go beefy the flow rim is an even more sturdy option but at a weight penalty.

EDIT - you'll need QR if that is what you are currently running and don't plan to change your fork....
  • warpcow
    warpcow Posts: 1,448
    They all come with QR adapters, so you'll be fine. Then they also come with another adapter for thru-axles (15 or 20mm) depending on what rim you choose too.

I'd second McCraque's recommendation too. I have a set on Flow rims. They're good value, but perhaps not quite as high quality as Hope builds.
  • Mccraque
    Mccraque Posts: 819
    Build quality is good enough for them to offer a 2 year warranty though.....
  • diy
    diy Posts: 6,473
    Flows are not a great choice for a hopper, better off with the slimmer version. However, I have a set of flows on hope pro 2 and they have been bomb proof. In fact the pro 2 hub has been the week link requiring two sets of bearings (but lots of abuse and miles).