Folks in the Exmoor area.

Going to ride out see my dad in Minehead on Saturday, does this loop look any good or should I be heading in any different directions? Il either ride down from Bristol or cheat and get the train to bridgwater.

exmoor.jpg

Comments

• Ron Keegan
    Ron Keegan Posts: 41
    I don't live in the Exmoor area but have some knowledge of it, through my involvement with helping and riding the annual Exmoor Beast sportive. Although your map doesn't show any great detail, it looks like it includes big chunks of 'The Beast' route - in reverse. This should make for a great ride. Have a good one and - if you start from Bristol - it will be one hell of a challenge. Tell your dad to get the beers in - Exmoor Beast Ale is highly recommended !!!
  • Gizmo_
    Gizmo_ Posts: 558
    Just a small remark... You'll be going UP Countisbury Hill.
    Scott Sportster P45 2008 | Cannondale CAAD8 Tiagra 2012
  • derek48
    derek48 Posts: 67
    Countisbury Hill is just outside Lynmouth. After the first 25% section it's not too bad. At least you'll be going Down Porlock Hill, which is a lot steeper.
  • Bobbinogs
    Bobbinogs Posts: 4,841
    Contisbury hill is quite achievable depending on your climbing ability (as above, it does have a 25% section but this is short...take it easy, nice and slow and leave a bit in your tank) and will give some stunning views over your left hand shoulder. I would probably avoid the coastal road dropping into Lynton/Lynmouth and drop via the Watersmeet road (stay on the A39 and ignore the B3243 fork on the left). Then, I would also avoid dropping down Porlock hill and instead take the toll road (left hand turn just after an AA box on the RHS, just after a cattle grid). The toll road is lovely, lovely. Great surface and a nice 5% the whole way down. It may cost you a quid (if you get caught) but I think this is worth it. The rest of the route looks good. Enjoy the spin up from Bishops Lydiard on the B3224 as that will get most of the metres of climb in a nice way.
  • mustol
    mustol Posts: 134
    Looks good, but a possible alternative would be to adjust your route to include the climb from Luccombe to Dunkery Beacon - a tough one, but the views at the top towards Wales are fantastic, especially as the weather forecast is looking good - a fun descent the other side aswell. Whichever way you go, you'll have a great ride. I'll be cycling over Dartmoor on Saturday - probable sunshine and dry roads - that'll be the first for a while!
    :D
  • nickel
    nickel Posts: 476
    mustol wrote:
    Looks good, but a possible alternative would be to adjust your route to include the climb from Luccombe to Dunkery Beacon - a tough one, but the views at the top towards Wales are fantastic, especially as the weather forecast is looking good - a fun descent the other side aswell. Whichever way you go, you'll have a great ride. I'll be cycling over Dartmoor on Saturday - probable sunshine and dry roads - that'll be the first for a while!
    :D

To climb Dunkery from the north the OP would have to go well out of his way he'd have to come off the A39 to ride up Dunkery to only ride straight back down it again and head for minehead. Not to mention he'll have 100+ miles in the legs by that point if he rides from brizzle, although even riding out from Bridgwater it'll still be tough ride. To the OP; if you do get the train I would have thought Taunton would been the best place to ride out from (unless you're trying to lengthen the ride by riding from Bridgwater?).
  • Abdoujaparov
    Abdoujaparov Posts: 642
    Hooking a right at Simonsbath onto the other B road will give you a fantastic descent down into Lynmouth. Cycled up it last weekend thinking what a descent it would be.

Also, if you're up for fierce climbs, you could divert down to Hunter's Inn (top left of your map above) and climb up King's Lane (west to east). Possibly the toughest climb I've ever done (with an 8kg rucksack on my back) - only just stayed on the bike all the way up. Long stretch of 25-28 per cent at the bottom puts you nicely in the red after just 200m then you're hanging on all the way to the top.
  • vorsprung
    vorsprung Posts: 1,953
    On the most west part of your route you could go on the A399 towards Combe Martin and then use the lanes via
    Hunters Inn and the Valley of the Rocks to get to Lynmouth

See this google map which is for the "Valley of the Rocks" audax
    http://maps.google.co.uk/maps/ms?hl=en& ... d46cf0&z=9

Personally if I was riding to Minehead from Bristol I'd just go to Bridgwater and then ride up the A39 :D
  • Benjamin Hall
    Benjamin Hall Posts: 608
    Thanks for the suggestions folks. Ive not been feeling great for the last couple of days so i'm not going to go crazy. Just a nice steady ride somewhere pretty. Ive hijacked a big chunk of the exmoor beast route.

exmoor-2.jpg
  • Benjamin Hall
    Benjamin Hall Posts: 608
    Well that was fun. my stomach bug came back with a vengeance so im glad I managed to misfollow my foolproof direction system... I got a bit exited at the bottom of a nice looking climb and forgot to look at my route card thing...only realised i'd gone the wrong way at the top. That vut the ride down to just over 100k. Thank christ!

imag0159.jpg

Felt as weak as a kitten today!

Here's the ride in case you are interested. Can't wait to ride Countisbury when i'm feeling good! That is my kind of climb, hard at the bottom then shift biggest gear you can manage once it smooths out. I would love to race up that!!

http://app.strava.com/rides/8360944

Thanks for the route advice.