Why isn't/wasn't Levi better?

phreak
phreak Posts: 2,941
edited May 2012 in Pro race
Reading some of the comments in the Giro TTT thread today and there were comments about the smaller guys suffering, but of course they'll be able to pay it back in the mountains.

Which got me thinking about Leipheimer. He was usually up there in the time trials, maybe not winning them but much better than the Schlecks for instance, so he must have decent power. He's also pretty small, so you'd imagine he'd have excellent power/weight and would therefore go uphill quickly. Yet he never really got close to winning any GT. I appreciate he might not have had a good acceleration or something but Evans has shown you don't need that to do well.

Is there something I'm missing?

Comments

• andyp
    andyp Posts: 10,455
    Races are won on power to weight ratio alone, and sometimes you need to lead and not follow. Leipheimer is a follower.
  • jonginge
    jonginge Posts: 5,945
    Not far off in the 2007 TdF and 2008 Vuelta...

...falls off a lot though. Breaks bones every time, it seems.
    FCN 2-4 "Shut up legs", Jens Voigt
    Planet-x Scott
    Rides
  • cal_stewart
    cal_stewart Posts: 1,840
    depends how you climb, look at wiggo if you TT the whole climb and don't lose it when a whippet goes off the front you don't need to be 50kg
    eating parmos since 1981

Canyon Ultimate CF SLX Aero 09
    Cervelo P5 EPS
    www.bikeradar.com/forums/viewtopic.php?f=40044&t=13038799
  • takethehighroad
    takethehighroad Posts: 6,811
    andyp wrote:
    Races are won on power to weight ratio alone, and sometimes you need to lead and not follow. Leipheimer is a follower.

This, finishing high up in GT GCs isn't bad, but to make that next step needs that extra "killer" instinct.

Last year he won the Tour de Suisse (chipper) by being best time triallist of the climbers and best climber of the time traillists.