News on the TV in the morning

SimonAH
SimonAH Posts: 3,730
edited May 2012 in Commuting chat
I'm about to give in. I used to like having the news on as I potter around making pack lunches and brewing coffee but it's driving me to distraction.

Breakfast on BBC is more interested with which 'sleb has brought out a perfume range than hard news and I nearly hurled the kettle at Sky news yesterday when, on reporting the underpants bomb story, their 'expert scientist' explained how a fist sized hole in the fuselage would bring down a passenger jet as the decompression ripped it apart and sucked people out.

Aaaargh! Radio only from now on.
FCN 5 belt driven fixie for city bits
CAADX 105 beastie for bumpy bits
Litespeed L3 for Strava bits

Smoke me a kipper, I'll be back for breakfast.

Comments

• Hmm. Not sure about the radio anymore. Humphrys is getting increasingly annoying and the news, such as it is, more depressing. A few times (when driving into work) I've been forced to switch to Radio 3 to get away from it.
  • DonDaddyD
    DonDaddyD Posts: 12,689
    Nothing is worse than Daybreak, Lorraine and then Phillip Schofield and Holly Willobooby. It actually upsets me that they even exist. Ms DDD insists that we must watch it as oppose to the third run through of BBC News which is on 1hr long repeat (shows how much I hate 3 seperate programmes considering I'd rather watch the same news items three times in a row).

That said if a Willobooby sex tape came out I'd be all over it like Tulisa was all over it in hers.
    Food Chain number = 4

A true scalp is not only overtaking someone but leaving them stopped at a set of lights. As you, who have clearly beaten the lights, pummels nothing but the open air ahead. ~ 'DondaddyD'. Player of the Unspoken Game
  • gtvlusso
    gtvlusso Posts: 5,112
    Watched 'Monsters Inc' on DVD this morning with junior - I was too out of it at 6am for play, although she often gets up much later! Otherwise no TV on at all....just radio 2 in the kitchen.

Layzeee parenting!
  • rolf_f
    rolf_f Posts: 16,015
    SimonAH wrote:
    Breakfast on BBC is more interested with which 'sleb has brought out a perfume range than hard news and I nearly hurled the kettle at Sky news yesterday when, on reporting the underpants bomb story, their 'expert scientist' explained how a fist sized hole in the fuselage would bring down a passenger jet as the decompression ripped it apart and sucked people out.

Kind of serves your right for watching Sky but you'd have thought those idiots would have seen Mythbusters on that very topic. :lol:
    Faster than a tent.......
  • clarkey cat
    clarkey cat Posts: 3,641
    cant stand news in the morning anymore... just reminds me how much I miss Sian.
  • sketchley
    sketchley Posts: 4,238
    BBC news one morning had a feature on chitty chitty bang bang, including that song.... drove me nuts on the way to work......
    --
    Chris

Genesis Equilibrium - FCN 3/4/5
  • anonymousblackfg
    anonymousblackfg Posts: 2,029
    What are you lot doing, get the Radio on the Today Programme and be done with it.
    If I know you, and I like you, you can borrow my bike box for £30 a week. PM for details.
  • Mr Sworld
    Mr Sworld Posts: 703
    Radio 4 in the morning. It's much nicer to wake up to people talking than the latest crap pop song... :)
  • CiB
    CiB Posts: 6,098
    Of late, faced with Evans on the Light Programme, Humphreys et al making a fight out of nothing on the Home Service or some desperately earnest composition on R3, I've taken to enjoying a bout of silence on the way to work in the car of a morning once or twice a week. There's a lot to be said for it.
  • CiB wrote:
    Of late, faced with Evans on the Light Programme, Humphreys et al making a fight out of nothing on the Home Service or some desperately earnest composition on R3, I've taken to enjoying a bout of silence on the way to work in the car of a morning once or twice a week. There's a lot to be said for it.
    You've clearly not heard R3 in the morning recently. They have decided to become Classic FM so mornings are all the populist crap.
  • rjsterry
    rjsterry Posts: 29,357
    cant stand news in the morning anymore... just reminds me how much I miss Sian.

I like to think she saw the way things were going and got out while she still had some shred of credibility.
    1985 Mercian King of Mercia - work in progress (Hah! Who am I kidding?)
    Pinnacle Monzonite

Part of the anti-growth coalition
  • merkin
    merkin Posts: 452
    DonDaddyD wrote:
    Nothing is worse than Daybreak, Lorraine and then Phillip Schofield and Holly Willobooby. It actually upsets me that they even exist. Ms DDD insists that we must watch it as oppose to the third run through of BBC News which is on 1hr long repeat (shows how much I hate 3 seperate programmes considering I'd rather watch the same news items three times in a row).

That said if a Willobooby sex tape came out I'd be all over it like Tulisa was all over it in hers.
    You have 3 hours to spare in the morning??? What time do you start work in the morning?
    Let me guess, you work in the public sector :wink:
    Or you cycle so fast you get to work 2 hours before you left home. :shock:
  • DonDaddyD
    DonDaddyD Posts: 12,689
    I have the option of working from home. I also took time off to help support my fiancee and spend time with my son.

I was soon missing work....
    Food Chain number = 4

A true scalp is not only overtaking someone but leaving them stopped at a set of lights. As you, who have clearly beaten the lights, pummels nothing but the open air ahead. ~ 'DondaddyD'. Player of the Unspoken Game
  • welkman
    welkman Posts: 396
    If I get time to listen to anything in the morning it is normally 6 music which is great.
  • roger_merriman
    roger_merriman Posts: 6,165
    You watch daytime tv?
  • DrLex
    DrLex Posts: 2,142
    welkman wrote:
    If I get time to listen to anything in the morning it is normally 6 music which is great.

No; I disagree.

It's great all day, esp. R&M in the p.m.
    Handlebar-mounted speaker & streaming R6= enhanced commute.
  • magibob
    magibob Posts: 203
    Nicky Campbell on Radio 5 live. What a T0ssa!

Andy
  • mousetoo
    mousetoo Posts: 53
    Sean Keaveny on Radio 6 is the only thing any sane person over the age of 25 should be listening to in the morning
  • rick_chasey
    rick_chasey Posts: 75,661
    Read the paper over breakfast.

Then at least when you get angry you can physically throw it out.