Am I right to look forward to the hill home?

benjii19
benjii19 Posts: 67
edited May 2012 in Commuting chat
I've done some sort of cycling everyday for the past 8 or 9 days (mostly the short 4.5 mile commute to work). My legs have got a nice ache to them, however my @rse feels a bit sore. The commute in is pretty much downhill home is uphill (408ft elevation gain according to Strava)

I feel a bit wrong for looking forward to it. Can anyone explain this to me?? Is it a newbie thing?

Comments

• My advice would be to give up cycling now: It sounds like the first signs of addiction, turn back before you bore all your friends, don lycra and start shaving your legs.
  • benjii19
    The other half loves cycling but already thinks I've got a problem. She's just jealous!
  • bigmat
    bigmat Posts: 5,134
    Whisper it, but some of us even take diversions looking for hills on the way home...
  • madtam
    madtam Posts: 141
    The standard commute is about 5 miles generally downhill on the way in and about 450 feet of elevation according to Strava. However on the days with a bit more time I used to turn left out of the drive instead of right and head 100 metres up the 25% hill, round the 33% hairpin on to the short level bit and then climb for the next mile and a quarter up a 10-15% hill. It was a good way to get the blood flowing first thing in the morning and actually only added about 3 miles to the commute in total.
    I think I must be getting older though as I haven't done it too often lately.
  • Initialised
    Initialised Posts: 3,047
    No, I could have a nearly flat run home but most days I add a ~150 foot climb and an extra mile. I sometimes have an internal debate about the hill while approaching it but it usually wins.
    I used to just ride my bike to work but now I find myself going out looking for bigger and bigger hills.
  • benjii19
    Thoroughly enjoyed it! After only a couple of weeks of regular cycling and commuting I can definitely feel the fitness improving. Not bad considering the only exercise I used to get was 1 hour of football and the odd short ride every couple of weeks.

You don't get fitter going downhill!