What's Hampshire like ?

shedhead
shedhead Posts: 367
edited May 2012 in The bottom bracket
Hi all,

Bit vague i know, but i have just had a call from some "headhunters" re: a possible job offer in Hampshire. Location not known at the moment, great package, long way from where i am at the moment. Just thought i'd maybe get the 2inside track" from anyone on here before i look at it further.

Thanks
'Success is not final, failure is not fatal: it is the courage to continue that counts'.

Comments

• laurentian
    laurentian Posts: 2,505
    Well, it has the New Forest.

It also has Basingstoke!
    Wilier Izoard XP
  • lostboysaint
    lostboysaint Posts: 4,250
    It's a right mixture. From biggish cities (Portsmouth, Southampton) to rural in a few miles. There's loads of good riding (road and MTB), Wiggle are based here so you can blame them if you don't like it, there's beaches, some good night life around Gunwharf in Portsmouth and Oxford Street or Bannister St in Southampton. Housing isn't cheap but there aren't too many dreadful places to live. It's very well connected to everywhere else (London in an hour by train or road) so if you are off elsewhere it isn't tricky. There's a LOT to do, all the time so it's great for the active!
    Trail fun - Transition Bandit
    Road - Wilier Izoard Centaur/Cube Agree C62 Disc
    Allround - Cotic Solaris
  • finchy
    finchy Posts: 6,686
    Flat. Rains a lot. Nice countryside. Surprisingly good social scene in Southampton and Portsmouth.
  • p9uma
    p9uma Posts: 565
    Bits of it are quite posh, in some areas of Hampshire they even get out of the bath before they go for a piss.
    Trek Madone 3.5
    Whyte Coniston
    1970 Dawes Kingpin
  • clarkey cat
    clarkey cat Posts: 3,641
    Winchester is nice.
  • solosuperia
    solosuperia Posts: 333
    johnfinch wrote:
    Flat. Rains a lot. Nice countryside. Surprisingly good social scene in Southampton and Portsmouth.
    Don't the South Downs run through the county and I wouldn't call the I.O.W. flat.

I suppose I'd better mention I currently live on the cusp of the Fens!
  • finchy
    finchy Posts: 6,686
    ^^^ I suppose it's all relative, but from my perspective Hampshire is flat. The South Downs are piddling little molehills, although there are some nice sharp climbs to be had.
  • mm1
    mm1 Posts: 1,063
    Made the move in reverse - Haselmere (Surrey / Hampshire / West Sussex borders) to the Fen 10 years ago and still regret it. Hampshire, load of good road and mountain biking in easy reach (some good RR circuits round Dunsfold etc), and loads of posh horsey types...compared with no hills, no trees and... has anyone mentioned Huntingdon on the S+it towns thread? I'd move striaght back if I could.
  • geoffgomez
    geoffgomez Posts: 34
    I'll agree that there aren't any mountains but spend a day riding on the downs and you'll not spend much time on any flat bits (as I found to my cost over the weekend). I think Hampshire is a great place to live in general but I'd check exactly whereabouts. Southampton, Winchester etc. lovely; Basingstoke not so much (although there are some lovely villages nearby with really nice riding).
  • team47b
    team47b Posts: 6,425
    BIG
    my isetta is a 300cc bike
  • indysmith
    indysmith Posts: 276
    I live here but I don't enjoy it. It's a cultural thing. There is none.
    There's some pretty good road riding around the New Forest and the South Downs (particularly the Meon Valley) though.
  • oldhairylegs
    oldhairylegs Posts: 220
    It's a big county and it's not flat except near the coast and in the New Forest.
    The rest of it is rolling and lovely for riding around - there are lots of sportives run and plenty of racing to be had too.

Most of the smaller towns are nice places to live but can be a bit expensive. Portsmouth and Southampton are ok but like any cities, they have some areas that are best avoided.
  • BelgianBeerGeek
    BelgianBeerGeek Posts: 5,226
    Yes, narrowing it down would be good. It's quite a diverse place and has it's good and not so good bits. At least Southampton and Portsmouth are fairly easy to escape from. I don't really understand the fascination with the New Forest as it's VERY tourist-y and a pain to get to and from (unless you take the bike on the train).
    For my tuppenceworth, the eastern part of the county is better. Some of the hangers around Petersfield will give some evil little climbs and exhilarating down bits, the off-roading is good, and there are some cracking little pubs for a carbohydrate refill. Or on a hot day head for the seaside and cruise along the beach front.
    It probably sounds like I have a downer on the county, but overall it's one of the best places to live in Britain.
    Ecrasez l’infame