Saddle or Padded short issue?

SR7492
SR7492 Posts: 190
edited May 2012 in Road beginners
I know there are a few other posts on this, but I'm unsure where my issue fits in.

Recently I've been left really uncomfortable/achy after my bike rides - the area in question is directly below my 'footballs' - pretty much the centre of my ar*e if not a little forward towards my manhood (the canyon between the front of my legs)

I wear padded shorts which help but after 20 miles in the ride does become uncomfortable - I'm always twitching my riding position to get comfortable.

I've adjusted the saddle slightly (moved forward/higher) but this hasn't made a difference - in fact this has made it worse (maybe I've adjusted this wrongly and should move the saddle back)

It's strange because it hasn't been this bad on my previous rides.

The other could be the padded shorts, I wearing the 'cheapo' ones I bought from Lidl as a trial and buy - maybe I need some proper ones.

Can anyone recommend me a good pair which are really comfortable and have a decent padded seem? Willing to purchase for something up to £40.

Thanks all

Comments

• rob21
    rob21 Posts: 284
    The other could be the padded shorts, I wearing the 'cheapo' ones I bought from Lidl as a trial and buy - maybe I need some proper ones.
    nothing wrong with lidl or aldi shorts,i find them very good and i wouldn't spend stupid money on shorts or tights TBH...
  • heathy_76
    heathy_76 Posts: 213
    I think your saddle should be level or even pointing down slightly iirc.

DHB shorts from Wiggle are good value and get good reviews.
  • unixnerd
    unixnerd Posts: 2,864
    If you're wearing padded shorts and getting a problem like that either your saddle is badly adjusted for you or it's just not compatible with your arse. I'd visit your local bike shop and see what they think.
    http://www.strathspey.co.uk - Quality Binoculars at a Sensible Price.
    Specialized Roubaix SL3 Expert 2012, Cannondale CAAD5,
    Marin Mount Vision (1997), Edinburgh Country tourer, 3 cats!
  • Gizmo_
    Gizmo_ Posts: 558
    Sounds to me like you may have wide "sit bones" and you're sitting on a narrow saddle, so instead of the bones in your a#se supporting your weight, the saddle pushes up between them and bruises the soft stuff in the middle.

Reasonable explanation here:
    http://www.specialized.com/specs/spec.j ... trysaddles
    Scott Sportster P45 2008 | Cannondale CAAD8 Tiagra 2012
  • SR7492
    Thanks guys - much appreciated
  • mattmaximus
    mattmaximus Posts: 132
    +1 for measuring sit bones.

You could do much worse than going to your nearest Specialized dealer who keeps their test saddles. you pay a fully refundable £50 IIRC and try different models in your recommended size until you get a good'un.
  • Cleat Eastwood
    Cleat Eastwood Posts: 7,508
    place some kitchen foil on a chair or the stairs - sit on it and you'll see the 2 indentations of your sitting bones - measure centre indent to centre indent - it'll give you a rough idea of the best width for a saddle.

When i'm setting my saddle i have it about hip height and saddle set central on the rails, then I go on a spin a few times round the block - if I find myself pushing backward into the saddle then I move it forward and make small adjustments. Then when its right i tilt my saddle slightly upwards, it suits me - but everyone is different.

Then when the saddle height needs to be adjusted if i raise the seat post the saddle goes forward a tad, lower the seatpost and teh saddle goes back - seems to work for me.
    The dissenter is every human being at those moments of his life when he resigns
    momentarily from the herd and thinks for himself.
  • SR7492
    Thanks all

I think my arse is a little bigger than normal, not that I'm fat or something (78kgs) :D

So, which saddle will be decent to purchase providing I get the sizing right?

Thanks!
  • rob21
    rob21 Posts: 284
    I think my ars* is a little bigger than normal, not that I'm fat or something (78kgs)
    I can only dream about being that light :lol:
  • mattmaximus
    mattmaximus Posts: 132
    It's not really about the size of your ars*, but how far apart the 'sit bones' are. This - apparently - is genetic and therefore independent of the amount of padding you may or may not have. Gizmo is spot on with the explanation of making the bones, rather than the perineum, take the strain.

Use Cleat Eastwood's method for measuring the bones and use the table on this page
    http://www.specialized.com/specs/spec.jsp?speccode=bodygeometrysaddles
    to see what is recommended (though bear in mind that, say, Fizik might recommend something different to Specialized).
  • place some kitchen foil on a chair or the stairs - sit on it and you'll see the 2 indentations of your sitting bones - measure centre indent to centre indent - it'll give you a rough idea of the best width for a saddle.

Interesting method - thanks. Just one question can you use the kitchen foil afterwards?
  • SR7492
    Thanks all

Off to the kitchen now . . . . . ..
  • SR7492
    Update . . .

I tried fiddling with eh saddle and positioned it facing down by a couple of clicks and this has made a huge difference.

I went for a couple of rides over the weekend and no soreness afterwards nor being uncomfortable on the ride.

However I was always adjusting my sitting position whilst riding (trying to have my butt cheeks on the main saddle) but overall this change has worked.

I have also ordered for dhb padded shorts, so these should help further.

:)