Clicking Noise Following Spill - Help Please

Wacky Racer
Wacky Racer Posts: 638
edited May 2012 in Road beginners
I'm hoping someone can help me out here. I had a spill at the weekend, resulting in me suffering badly bruised ribs, mainly from trying to protect my bike on impact with the road, I have no idea why I thought my bike was more important than my ribs, perhaps I should check with a psychiatrist when the ribs are better.

Anyway, I have noticed a "clicking" noise since. It is only evident when free wheeling, not when pedalling, and only when I am in the saddle, it disappears when I lift off. I have checked wheel alignment, which is fine. The brakes aren't interfering at all, although the click sounds to the ear just like brake interference on the wheel, but it isn't as both wheels spin freely. I can only create the noise in these conditions I have been unable to replicate it off the bike in my garage. The click is perfectly in tune with my speed (rapid at speed, slows when I decrease speed), it is coming from behind me, but very difficult to pinpoint.

The bike went down on the near side, the only impact evidence I could detect was the outer left side of the hood, and the left pedal. This would normally point me to the pedal, but then I don't understand why the noise is only there when free wheeling. Any impact seemed to be minimal as I took the brunt of the fall like a muppet!

The bike is a Battaglin C11, with Campag Veloce kit throughout, with a compact 10 speed if that helps.

Any help would be appreciated, thanks.
Ridley Orion

Comments

• Laard
    Laard Posts: 17
    Of course you will protect the bike first, we are only human!

Not got a definitive answer for you but have you been analytical with your investigation work?
    Is the noise at a certain frequency/regularity -
    one full revolution of the crank?
    one full cycle of the chain?

A friend recently thought he had chain problems having just changed cassette and chain and the noise turned out to be the surplus front mech cable catching on the crank, something neither of us looked at as the chain had just been changed, our diagnostics automatically drew us to the chain. Worth a quick check as so often it is the simplest of things.
    Hope the ribs get better soon!
  • Kingy911
    Kingy911 Posts: 134
    Perhaps its not your bike clicking, but your ribs :D
  • rolf_f
    rolf_f Posts: 16,015
    Laard wrote:
    Not got a definitive answer for you but have you been analytical with your investigation work?
    Is the noise at a certain frequency/regularity -
    one full revolution of the crank?
    one full cycle of the chain?

If you'd read his post you'd see that he has been analytical and that, for example, it doesn't occur when pedalling...... :wink:

One thing I would do is test with the brakes in the out position. This seems odd but if it occurs when sat, but not when stood, the only difference I can see that that would make in this case is that stood your centre of gravity is further forward so there is marginally less weight on the rear wheel. Therefore, loaded and sat, the wheel might be flexing enough to rub. Putting the brake blocks well away from the wheel should prove this possibility one way or the other. And do check the spokes - depending on the lacing, a bust spoke can be surprisingly hard to notice.

Being logical, if the noise is proportional to speed then it can't be gear related - it must be related to one of the wheels and you think it is behind you and you think it sounds like brake rub.

It maybe that you are assuming the crash is the cause when possibly it wasn't. You listen far harder for things after a crash than before.
    Faster than a tent.......
  • Wacky Racer
    Wacky Racer Posts: 638
    Rolf F, thanks for this, I hadn't contemplated opening the brakes out, it's a really good point. Definitely my weight is further forward when out of the seat, so that stacks up. The noise wasn't there before though, I would have noticed it (surely :)). All I need now is the pain to subside enough for me to get out and test the theory.
    Ridley Orion
  • sadlybiggins
    sadlybiggins Posts: 158
    It's an outside chance as you said the noise does not happen when pedalling, but one thing worth checking is the bolt connecting the saddle to the seat post. If this became loosened in your spill, it can cause an annoying clicking sound when seated which sounds as if it's coming from the bottom bracket area but isn't. I'd normally expect it to happen when pedalling so it's probably not the problem, but it's worth ruling out.
  • Checked your spokes to see if one is loose?
    Twitter: @FunkyMrMagic
  • ian_s
    ian_s Posts: 183
    Probably unlikely but maybe something in the freehub got dislocated?

Do you have a spare back wheel to try? or a turbo such that you can load it up or get someone to listen up close while you pedal?