My bike is dissolving....

PBo
PBo Posts: 2,493
edited May 2012 in Commuting chat
....and it's not even carbon!

Can anyone remember the last day it didn't rain? I'm sick of trying to keep the bike in any semblance of clean, when half an hour into any journey rain and crap just start grinding through the transmission again, making heart rending sounds...

completely selfishly, I have no garden/flower beds....SO BRING BACK THE DROUGHT AND WHO CARES ABOUT THE HOSEPIPE BAN!

....aaaaaaaannnnnnddddd breathe!

Comments

• SimonAH
    SimonAH Posts: 3,730
    It is getting extremely boring now isn't it. What are the stats? Average year rains on you thirteen times on the commute in the UK? I reckon we've seen that in the last two weeks.
    FCN 5 belt driven fixie for city bits
    CAADX 105 beastie for bumpy bits
    Litespeed L3 for Strava bits

Smoke me a kipper, I'll be back for breakfast.
  • skellator3
    skellator3 Posts: 200
    try living in the south west of scotland, thats our normal weather, we have 2 seasons wet and wetter, so man up and get on with it
    dont only ride a bike
  • mudcow007
    mudcow007 Posts: 3,861
    nice an sunny here today

just saying.....
    Keeping it classy since '83
  • rubertoe
    rubertoe Posts: 3,994
    Its a tad damp in our capital this morning!

Currently have various items of cycling gear doted around the office taking heat from my colleagues - there is also a distinct smell of neoprene in the air as well (overshoes).

Roll on the summer is what i say.
    "If you always do what you've always done, you'll always get what you've always got."

PX Kaffenback 2 = Work Horse
    B-Twin Alur 700 = Sundays and Hills
  • Agent57
    Agent57 Posts: 2,300
    PBo wrote:
    Can anyone remember the last day it didn't rain?

Yesterday. Monday. Sunday. Saturday. Last Friday. Maybe Thursday. Hasn't rained for a while in the bits of Lancashire I ride through - at least, not at the times I'm riding through it...
    MTB commuter / 531c commuter / CR1 Team 2009 / RockHopper Pro Disc / 10 mile PB: 25:52 (Jun 2014)
  • veronese68
    veronese68 Posts: 27,770
    Don't we still have a drought in the South East? Call me old fashioned but I'd like a return to the good old style of drought. Summer of '76 style, you know, warm and dry. It's not a lot to ask of a drought surely.
  • gtvlusso
    gtvlusso Posts: 5,112
    TBH - I don't mind if it totally wee's it down.....it is the grey drizzle that I cannot do!

Wish the weather would MTFU and deliver some proper weather, one way or the other!
  • esspeebee
    esspeebee Posts: 174
    It was lovely and sunny here yesterday. Before that, it was last Monday.
  • mr_ribble
    mr_ribble Posts: 1,068
    A little perspective please. Think back to last October, it was 25 degrees day after day. It barely rained for the rest of the year. I could count on one hand the number of rides in which I got wet and I cycle to work most days.

I remember distinctly the Friday before Christmas I rode to work in shorts, summer socks a short sleeve base layer and a short sleeve jersey. There was some precipitation in Februaury in the form of snow, but then there was a period upto about the 1st of April where it didnt rain at all. Its now mid May, so we have had what, about 6 weeks of wet weather.

Droughts occur due to prolonged periods (many many months / years) of below average rainfall, and six weeks of heavy rain isint going to make up for two years of below average rain levels,
  • bails87
    bails87 Posts: 12,998
    Mr_Ribble wrote:
    I remember distinctly the Friday before Christmas I rode to work in shorts, summer socks a short sleeve base layer and a short sleeve jersey.
    Same here, lovely wasn't it!
    MTB/CX

"As I said last time, it won't happen again."
  • rubertoe
    rubertoe Posts: 3,994
    Mr_Ribble wrote:
    A little perspective please. Think back to last October, it was 25 degrees day after day. It barely rained for the rest of the year. I could count on one hand the number of rides in which I got wet and I cycle to work most days.

I remember distinctly the Friday before Christmas I rode to work in shorts, summer socks a short sleeve base layer and a short sleeve jersey. There was some precipitation in Februaury in the form of snow, but then there was a period upto about the 1st of April where it didnt rain at all. Its now mid May, so we have had what, about 6 weeks of wet weather.

Droughts occur due to prolonged periods (many many months / years) of below average rainfall, and six weeks of heavy rain isint going to make up for two years of below average rain levels,

There is always one that has to come and say "a little perspective please".

No one likes the rain whatever expecially when its on consecutive days... regardless of the time of year - we all want 23 degrees plus. dry and no wind (unless its that elusive tailwind).

Its raining - how can their be a drought? its the bloody water companies i tell ya.
    "If you always do what you've always done, you'll always get what you've always got."

PX Kaffenback 2 = Work Horse
    B-Twin Alur 700 = Sundays and Hills
  • veronese68
    veronese68 Posts: 27,770
    Mr_Ribble wrote:

Exactly. We've been spoiled and got used to a bit of nice weather, now we're sulking. I know all of that and about ground water and run off, but I don't care because I'm having a little hissy fit.
    Hang on, sunny at the moment. Yay! :D
  • rolf_f
    rolf_f Posts: 16,015
    TBH, I couldn't care less what the weather is during the week - I take it like a man! :lol:

It's the weekends that get me down. I've decided to boycott any weather that isn't good (ie needs to be sunny, not cold, no gale force winds etc) for weekend riding.

So far this year, month on month, I have done less and less miles.... :(
    Faster than a tent.......
  • Kieran_Burns
    Kieran_Burns Posts: 9,757
    It should rain only at night so it can be sunny during the day.

As opposed to be sunny during the night as it would be the day then which would mean that it wouldn't rain and the rain could rain when it's not sunny during the day which would then be the night.

So rain when there's no sun, which may or may not be the night depending on whether there is, or isn't sun.
    Chunky Cyclists need your love too! :-)
    2009 Specialized Tricross Sport
    2011 Trek Madone 4.5
    2012 Felt F65X
    Proud CX Pervert and quiet roadie. 12 mile commuter
  • Wrath Rob
    Wrath Rob Posts: 2,918
    SimonAH wrote:
    It is getting extremely boring now isn't it. What are the stats? Average year rains on you thirteen times on the commute in the UK? I reckon we've seen that in the last two weeks.
    Been working weekends?
    FCN3: Titanium Qoroz.
  • aeon
    aeon Posts: 167
    i started commuting in January, and i think i had one or two slightly damp rides in the three months to April.

blimey, i thought. it really doesn't rain anywhere near as much as people think it does. this commuting thing is a piece of warm, dry cake.
    FCN 10 - Crosstrail
  • Ben6899
    Ben6899 Posts: 9,686
    Rolf F wrote:
    TBH, I couldn't care less what the weather is during the week - I take it like a man! :lol:

It's the weekends that get me down. I've decided to boycott any weather that isn't good (ie needs to be sunny, not cold, no gale force winds etc) for weekend riding.

So far this year, month on month, I have done fewer and fewer miles.... :(

FTFY.
    Ben

Bikes: Donhou DSS4 Custom | Condor Italia RC | Gios Megalite | Dolan Preffisio | Giant Bowery '76
    Instagram: https://www.instagram.com/ben_h_ppcc/
    Flickr: https://www.flickr.com/photos/143173475@N05/
  • mattwood
    mattwood Posts: 148
    Ben6899 wrote:
    Rolf F wrote:

So far this year, month on month, I have done fewer and fewer miles.... :(

FTFY.

I'm glad someone else picked up on that - one of the things I cannot stand is the lack of understanding of countable nouns!

As for the wet commute, in many respects, I prefer it. It can be fun :)
  • rjsterry
    rjsterry Posts: 29,357
    Wet weather, I don't mind, but the combination of no-one adjusting their driving/riding for increased braking distances and slippery manhole covers*, just make it hard work. Had another wheel-spinning moment this morning trying to pull away from a junction.

*when there are this many then you can't really avoid riding over them.
    1985 Mercian King of Mercia - work in progress (Hah! Who am I kidding?)
    Pinnacle Monzonite

Part of the anti-growth coalition
  • Mr Sworld
    Mr Sworld Posts: 703
    PBo wrote:
    I'm sick of trying to keep the bike in any semblance of clean, when half an hour into any journey rain and crap just start grinding through the transmission again, making heart rending sounds...

Buy a FGSS and MTFU? :wink: