Totally off topic: who likes fast jets?

Kieran_Burns
Kieran_Burns Posts: 9,757
edited June 2012 in Commuting chat
http://youtu.be/y7bmv4xptFA?hd=1

A mate took this vid. You would not believe how loud these things are. I've actually stood behind a Tornado when it does this and it is utterly, utterly mind blowing.

(listen to all the car alarms going off as it takes off!!!) :lol:
Chunky Cyclists need your love too! :-)
2009 Specialized Tricross Sport
2011 Trek Madone 4.5
2012 Felt F65X
Proud CX Pervert and quiet roadie. 12 mile commuter

Comments

• SmellTheGlove
    SmellTheGlove Posts: 697
    I like. Especially the bit where it swallows the ground crew whole.
    And what a paint job.
    How it stays on the ground is itself a minor miracle (I believe this beast can't get a ticket to fly because the avionics are obsolete and likely to be scrambled by someone's wifi router or some such)
    "Consider the grebe..."
  • jejv
    jejv Posts: 566
    Vulcan at Marshalls 100th anniversary was loud.
    4389748409_c4cb29efe7_n.jpg

But 20' from F86 warming up at Duxford was louder.
  • optimisticbiker
    optimisticbiker Posts: 1,657
    vulcan inside is even louder and bloody uncomfortable :)
    Invacare Spectra Plus electric wheelchair, max speed 4mph :cry:
  • mudcow007
    mudcow007 Posts: 3,861

my old boss would agree with you

he was a squadron leader many, many moons ago
    Keeping it classy since '83
  • optimisticbiker
    optimisticbiker Posts: 1,657
    edited May 2012
    mudcow007 wrote:

my old boss would agree with you

he was a squadron leader many, many moons ago

It was many many moons and several employers ago, but I was team lead on the approval testing for new ground to air comms equipment and we had a Vulcan as a test bed (we had a Jaguar too, but thats another story)... a long ways up North, in the middle of winter, working outdoors in several feet of snow (despite the ploughs and blowers) because the hanger was full of broken ones... horrible, but more than made up for by the test flights out over the North Atlantic :D

the uncomfortable bit was that all the seating in the 'engineering bay' ( a posh description for a minimally refitted bomb bay) was just a steel shelf with seat belts and the cushions were your parachute
    Invacare Spectra Plus electric wheelchair, max speed 4mph :cry:
  • Kieran_Burns
    This was fairly hair raising...

tornadotakeoff3.jpg

I couldn't get the smell of jet fuel out of my clothing for weeks :mrgreen: I LOVED it! :lol:
    2011 Trek Madone 4.5
    2012 Felt F65X
  • gtvlusso
    gtvlusso Posts: 5,112
    Ah- the good ol' Lightning....

My dad was a draftman and designer back in the day, you have him to thank for the lightning nose cone!

He used to tell stories of how they got lightnings to balance correctly on their landing gear by loading the wings with lead - they were quite literally built by blokes with hacksaws and files.

I always wanted to fly helicopters - I am very jealous of ITB for this reason!
  • jedster
    jedster Posts: 1,717
    I did some work up at BAE Wharton when the first three or four Typhoons were being tested. I remember being shown the footage off a sony handicam pointing backwards out of the cockpit when it took off. You saw the hanger nice and big then just disappear into the distance. Then it took off and the pilot pointed the plane straight up - at forst you could only see tarmac runway then it just turned into a thin strip of grey - the speed was crazy.
  • aeon
    aeon Posts: 167
    :::double post:::
    FCN 10 - Crosstrail
  • gtvlusso
    Vulcan and Concorde are the 2 loudest jets I have ever heard.....funnily enough they share the same powerplant, the rather magnificent Rolls Royce Olympus...

I was working at Aberdeen coastguard the same week that a Tornado from Lossiemouth called in a May Day whilst coming in from a training exercise.....F*cking Scary, the whole control room was on the highest alert, there was silence, the radio chatter was on loud speaker. A pilot really earns their corn when they have a problem....

My favourite jet is the rather slow A10 Warthog - it is just ridiculous looking; it is a totally practical shape and design for what it does....fly slow, be very resilient to attack and be absolutely devastating when unleashing it's armoury.

However, After goin in a Seaking helicopter when I was a kid; thats what I wanted to fly. Sea King, Puma or any other big badass helicopter - but not a Chinook, I don't have a death wish.
  • greg66_tri_v2.0
    greg66_tri_v2.0 Posts: 7,172
    There can be only one.

sr71blackbird.jpg
    Swim. Bike. Run. Yeah. That's what I used to do.

Bike 1
    Bike 2-A
  • mudcow007
    mudcow007 Posts: 3,861
    Greg66 wrote:
    There can be only one.

sr71blackbird.jpg

+100,000

J58-P4 with a v8 petrol engine to start them, thats cool!
    Keeping it classy since '83
  • neiltb
    neiltb Posts: 332
    gtvlusso wrote:
    Ah- the good ol' Lightning....

My dad was a draftman and designer back in the day, you have him to thank for the lightning nose cone!

well you can thank him from me, love the lightning.
    FCN 12
  • rick_chasey
    rick_chasey Posts: 75,661
    gtvlusso wrote:

My favourite jet is the rather slow A10 Warthog - it is just ridiculous looking; it is a totally practical shape and design for what it does....fly slow, be very resilient to attack and be absolutely devastating when unleashing it's armoury..

Pretty sure there's a computer game about that.
  • gtvlusso
    gtvlusso wrote:

My favourite jet is the rather slow A10 Warthog - it is just ridiculous looking; it is a totally practical shape and design for what it does....fly slow, be very resilient to attack and be absolutely devastating when unleashing it's armoury..

Absolutely terrifying: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=riqu8hmPHd0

You would think that rolling around in a tank would be fairly safe in a theatre of war.
  • MonkeyMonster
    MonkeyMonster Posts: 4,629
    gtvlusso wrote:
    My favourite jet is the rather slow A10 Warthog - it is just ridiculous looking; it is a totally practical shape and design for what it does....fly slow, be very resilient to attack and be absolutely devastating when unleashing it's armoury.

It fires milkbottle sized shells - what isn't there to love about it :D
    Le Cannon [98 Cannondale M400] [FCN: 8]
    The Mad Monkey [2013 Hoy 003] [FCN: 4]
  • I love a nice fast jet. :wink:

jacuzzi-jets-large.jpg
    Nobody told me we had a communication problem
  • rjsterry
    rjsterry Posts: 29,344
    gtvlusso wrote:
    gtvlusso wrote:

Absolutely terrifying: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=riqu8hmPHd0

You would think that rolling around in a tank would be fairly safe in a theatre of war.

Um, no, not really. Wouldn't be my first choice of places for a quiet night ;)
    1985 Mercian King of Mercia - work in progress (Hah! Who am I kidding?)
    Pinnacle Monzonite

Part of the anti-growth coalition
  • Kieran_Burns
    When I was at Uni in Stafford (actually a Poly back then) there was a massive exercise based on RAF Stafford - there were attack choppers and fast jets and all sorts of hardware tearing around the sky - I almost fell off my bike when a Warthog suddenly appeared over the trees in front of me, coming straight at me!

Bloody amazing sight though.
    2011 Trek Madone 4.5
    2012 Felt F65X
  • gtvlusso
    gtvlusso wrote:

It fires milkbottle sized shells - what isn't there to love about it :D

Nothing say's 'I kill you to death' quite as well as depleted uranium.....
  • diplomacy
    diplomacy Posts: 34
    When I was at Uni in Stafford (actually a Poly back then) there was a massive exercise based on RAF Stafford - there were attack choppers and fast jets and all sorts of hardware tearing around the sky - I almost fell off my bike when a Warthog suddenly appeared over the trees in front of me, coming straight at me!

we would sometimes get A10s doing practice runs on my school when i was young, which was pretty much the highlight of everything. they worked in pairs, one would circle slowly off to the side and the other would barrel in low and straight across the fields, then break off sharply at the last minute. i guess they were strafing. it's good to know that we were prepared for the day when the soviets might unleash an army of comprehensive secondaries across europe.

in the rotary world - since i started working by the thames in SE1 i've been amazed at the parade of helicopters you get. merlins, pumas, apaches, lynxes and chinooks are pretty regular, plus occasional sea kings and hueys and every now and then a hughes 500 or a pair of blackhawks. where do they come from? where do they go? i have no idea.
  • madtam
    madtam Posts: 141
    I was a bit dissappointed with the Lightning vid. I remember watching them at the airshows when after a short take off run they pulled the carriage up, pointed the nose straight up and just shrank to a dot in seconds.
    I seem to recall they had a flight time of about 4 minutes on full reheat before they ran out of fuel. Must have been fun to fly !
  • roger_merriman
    roger_merriman Posts: 6,165

get what looks like war games over my folks place and area. jets engaging afterburners at night is fairly spectacular!

jets going supersonic at lowish levels is fairly erie since they are silent, until the sound catches up that is, and the jet can be out of sight at that point!
  • Blacktemplar
    Blacktemplar Posts: 713
    In the mid/late 70's I saw the F-15 Streak Eagle at Leuchars demonstrating it's phenomenal climb-to-altitude capabilities. It came along the runway at about 50 feet, then right in front of the crowd the pilot stood it on it's tail and lit the afterburners. He went supersonic in a vertical climb and the noise was awesome. As were the German display team in F-104 Starfighters who flew directly at each other along the runway at treetop hight then rolled in opposite directions at the last instant. I guess crowd safety wasn't uppermost in the organiser's minds in those days, as the aircraft were only a few hundred feet from the barriers.

The biggest pant-sh1tting moment I ever had was ridge-walking in the highlands, when a Buccaneer screamed up out of the glen below and we were almost knocked off our feet by the jet blast. Never heard the bugger until he was on top of us. Have also been above Yankee F-111's and so close you could see the pilots.

Oh and Vulcans are awesome, as are Lightnings (saw the last of 111-Squadron at Leuchars in 1974) and anything with a delta wing. The father of an old GF worked on the team that built the TSR2. Would love to have seen things like the Convair Delta Dart & Dagger.

SR71 is the daddy. That is all.
    "Get a bicycle. You won't regret it if you live"
    Mark Twain
  • mrc1
    mrc1 Posts: 852
    diplomacy wrote:

in the rotary world - since i started working by the thames in SE1 i've been amazed at the parade of helicopters you get. merlins, pumas, apaches, lynxes and chinooks are pretty regular, plus occasional sea kings and hueys and every now and then a hughes 500 or a pair of blackhawks. where do they come from? where do they go? i have no idea.

Tell me about it! I used to work by the Mayor's building and we saw some really exotic stuff flying over. Chinook's were pretty regular but seeing an Apache was the highlight.
    http://www.ledomestiquetours.co.uk

Le Domestique Tours - Bespoke cycling experiences with unrivalled supported riding, knowledge and expertise.

Ciocc Extro - FCN 1
  • BelgianBeerGeek
    BelgianBeerGeek Posts: 5,226
    Me, me! Love 'em. The Blackbird at an air show at Mildenhall when I were a lad was one of the most exciting things I have ever seen. Also at that show was a couple of French Mirage fighters and they were also pretty damn good, considering nothing too flashy was expected.

I have seen the Warthog on a few demos in my squaddie days and they are awesome. The way they can rip open a tank is quite fascinating, and made me very glad we're on the side of the septics.

Fave: the vulcan. Just properly exciting. Just seeing makes me feel like a kid again. And the noise from the olympic engines.
    Ecrasez l’infame
  • Rockhopper
    Rockhopper Posts: 503
    gtvlusso wrote:
    Vulcan and Concorde are the 2 loudest jets I have ever heard.....funnily enough they share the same powerplant, the rather magnificent Rolls Royce Olympus...

The significant difference is that Concorde has reheat (or afterburners if you are American) and the Vulcan does not so Concorde should be quite a bit louder.
  • el_presidente
    el_presidente Posts: 1,963
    Rockhopper wrote:
    gtvlusso wrote:

The significant difference is that Concorde has reheat (or afterburners if you are American) and the Vulcan does not so Concorde should be quite a bit louder.

When I lived in Reading you couldn't hear the TV when it went over about 7pm every night on the evening flight to NYC
    <a>road</a>
  • wac100
    wac100 Posts: 20
    When I was in the Royal Navy one of my last postings was to the Falklands in 2001, during which time I was lucky enough to be nominated as a passenger in an RAF Tornado. We spent about 90 minutes in the air and did just about everything, even doing the attack routes the Argentinian jets took against the British Warships in San Carlos bay, which was pretty surreal as I was on one of those Warships during the Falklands War in 1982, HMS Antrim. It was absolutely amazing, thankfully I didn't need to use a sick bag, one of the best days of my life. :D