Paris to oxford in 3 days 100 miles a day advice

littlejane
littlejane Posts: 15
edited May 2012 in Road beginners
Hi There
I have been training since feb for this and am now doing 25 miles four times a week and longer at the weekends 65/70 miles. I am coming to the last three weeks and the next two weeks is non stop training. I have been told to ease off during the last week is this right?? and if so what should I be eating? I have just got my nutrition just right.
I have never done anything like this in my life so it will be a real achievement and I only got my bike last November.
I have fallen in love with cycling and cant wait to get going. Please let me know what you think??

Comments

• ForumNewbie
    ForumNewbie Posts: 1,664
    littlejane wrote:
    Hi There
    I have been training since feb for this and am now doing 25 miles four times a week and longer at the weekends 65/70 miles. I am coming to the last three weeks and the next two weeks is non stop training. I have been told to ease off during the last week is this right?? and if so what should I be eating? I have just got my nutrition just right.
    I have never done anything like this in my life so it will be a real achievement and I only got my bike last November.
    I have fallen in love with cycling and cant wait to get going. Please let me know what you think??
    I'm no expert but I've just been reading in a cycling mag you should ease up on training over the last week or so before a big event. I would do very little cycling in the last week, so you are fresh and raring to go. Good luck.
  • southdownswolf
    southdownswolf Posts: 1,525
    Not done much longer distance cycling, but I do run marathons. The last 1 or 2 weeks are for tapering, you cut down on exercise and in the last few days "carb load". With two weeks to go I do my last long run, then cut down compared to the previous schedule. I would imagine a similar thing can be effective for cycling. This is to give the body time to recover and restore itself before the main event.
  • littlejane
    littlejane Posts: 15
    Brill ok cheers for that. Just really want to get on with it now. Really dont know if i am ready but hey ho.
  • Gizmodo
    Gizmodo Posts: 1,928
    Good advice so far, I just wanted to add that generally yes, you should ease off (not stop) training in the last week and have some rest. Your training will depend on your age and general level of fitness. Some good resources here:

http://www.doitforcharity.com/cycling-training-guide.aspx

http://www.bikeradar.com/road/gear/article/training-for-a-sportive-33724/