Roller brakes or Hydraulic Disk brakes?

efunc
efunc Posts: 42
edited May 2012 in MTB beginners
What’s better? The older ‘Roller’ brakes found in the 2009 Carrera Subway 8 Hybrid bike, or the newer Hydraulic Disk brakes? There are two versions of the Subway 8 you see. This is for general road and trail use. Thanks.

Comments

• nicklouse
    nicklouse Posts: 50,675
    I would not take roller brakes off road.
    "Do not follow where the path may lead, Go instead where there is no path, and Leave a Trail."
    Parktools :?:SheldonBrown
  • IT66T
    IT66T Posts: 377
    I agree with nicklouse as they would be as safe to use as a chocolate helmet off road and your a million times better off with hydraulic disk brakes lol .
    You must treat others with respect in order to be respected ..
    09 5.2 Rockrider budget rescue . viewtopic.php?f=10017&t=13033836&p=19671152#p19670604
  • efunc
    OK, thanks. I'm afraid I don't really know the principal behind roller brakes. Any reason why they wouldn't be so good? Incidentally, I don't go off road very much - just light duty like the thames path and stuff like that at the moment...
  • nicklouse
    They are mainly fitted to town bikes. They are reliable but not good for continued use like disc brakes.
    "Do not follow where the path may lead, Go instead where there is no path, and Leave a Trail."
  • cooldad
    cooldad Posts: 32,599
    They overheat
    I don't do smileys.

There is no secret ingredient - Kung Fu Panda

London Calling on Facebook

Parktools
  • efunc
    OK, so are roller brakes more suitable in the case of road use, or are disk brakes just better all round, whatever the terrain? Thanks for the advice!
  • nicklouse
    efunc wrote:
    OK, so are roller brakes more suitable in the case of road use, or are disk brakes just better all round, whatever the terrain? Thanks for the advice!
    roller brakes are more suitable for going shopping.
  • Fingz999
    Fingz999 Posts: 69
    nicklouse wrote:
    efunc wrote:
    Shopping for disc brakes :lol:
  • IT66T
    IT66T Posts: 377
    Fingz999 wrote:
    nicklouse wrote:
    efunc wrote:
    Shopping for disc brakes :lol:

Wise move :wink: .
    You must treat others with respect in order to be respected ..
    09 5.2 Rockrider budget rescue . viewtopic.php?f=10017&t=13033836&p=19671152#p19670604