Preventing Surface Rust on Chain?

Inthernet
Inthernet Posts: 10
edited May 2012 in The workshop
I've moved recently and have to store the bike in the back garden as the landlord won't have it inside the house. I'm using a nylon cover to keep the bike watertight, but to my horror saw surface rust this morning on the chain. I've never had this before - having kept the bike in a perfectly sheltered place. What is even more worrying is, it's less than 3 weeks since I ran the chain through the Park Tools cleaner. I cycle around twice a week, covering around 20-30 miles total.

Are there any particular ways of preventing my chain rusting further and risk an entire drivetrain replacement?

Comments

• apreading
    apreading Posts: 4,535
    Did you dry it and lube it after cleaning?
  • cooldad
    cooldad Posts: 32,599
    Makes no difference, just ride it and it disappears.
    I don't do smileys.

There is no secret ingredient - Kung Fu Panda

London Calling on Facebook

Parktools
  • merkin
    merkin Posts: 452
    Decent wet lube. The problem with plastic covers is that moisture gets trapped in them and sometimes the bike can stay wetter with them than it otherwise would in fresh air. Maybe some sort of storage shed type thing from one of the DIY places would be better if funds allow? Around £150 on screwfix. Personally I would get a metal one as they tend to make a bit of noise if someone is at them. Then if need be drill some 25mm vent holes in the bottom at each end to get a drying breeze through.
  • Inthernet
    Inthernet Posts: 10
    apreading wrote:
    Did you dry it and lube it after cleaning?
    Yep!
    merkin wrote:
    Decent wet lube + shed
    Aha. I've been using dry lube from Bikehut. My landlord has mentioned he's been wanting a shed for himself for a while but he needed someone to build it.

Thanks for the responses, I'll go pester him!
  • nyanza
    nyanza Posts: 68
    It's not much to worry about. The surface rust wipes off with your finger. The chain will need replacing because of stretch before any rust-related fatigue can take place.
  • mudcow007
    mudcow007 Posts: 3,861
    i hate dry lube, it doesnt last long at all

wet lube all the way, if you cant find any wet stuff, just use 3 in 1, plus wet lube lasts longer on a chain

just wipe off the excess from the chain
    Keeping it classy since '83
  • desweller
    desweller Posts: 5,175
    After applying oil, you can use a thin grease (e.g. moly-slip) to help protect the chain.
    - - - - - - - - - -
    On Strava.{/url}
  • BillyMansell
    BillyMansell Posts: 817
    If you want to go the whole hog you could try ACF50, a marine lubricant and rust 'deactivator' and protector.
  • memsley89
    memsley89 Posts: 247
    mudcow007 wrote:
    wet lube all the way

Aren't you eternally picking up grit from the road though?
    My wet lube seems to attract dirt!