MTB clip less 'Trail' pedals

Greggors
Greggors Posts: 53
edited May 2012 in MTB buying advice
Ive been looking at buying some new SPD pedals for ages, finally getting around to ordering some but wondering about the trail versions of XT pedals or any pdeals for that matter. Do the extra cages around the pedal actually give much more support on the shoe? My shoes have quite a decent tread on the bottom so also worried they might catch on the cage.

Any opinions?

Comments

• omegas
    omegas Posts: 970
    I use and have used M647, 424, 520, 540
    Its down to personal choice for caged or not , even though I use both I don't know if caged gives you more support more of a confidence that your foot stays in place when the going gets hard. The DX 647 is the best pedal for finding the cleat as it is slightly concave .
    The new shimano M785 has a completely different shape to the cage so I am going to try some out in a few weeks and see what they are like.
  • Long_Time_Lurker
    Long_Time_Lurker Posts: 1,068
    I have some M530s - they have a large cage. I think it is mainly a 'mind over matter' thing.
    I find it comforting that if I the cleats don't engage properly first time, my foot won't slip off the pedal.
    2007 Felt Q720 (the ratbike)
    2012 Cube Ltd SL (the hardtail XC 26er)
    2014 Lapierre Zesty TR 329 (the full-sus 29er)
  • .blitz
    .blitz Posts: 6,197
    Have some 530s some 785s and some 980s & with the same shoes there's no difference. If you wear flexible shoes you might be able to feel the cage

Biggest advantage with the trail SPDs is that they are easy to flip over and clip in
  • Giraffoto
    Giraffoto Posts: 2,078
    Another vote for 530s - I have them on the Tricross. Dead easy to get a foot into. Or onto.
    Specialized Roubaix Elite 2015
    XM-057 rigid 29er