ALDI Cycling Computer help needed

joshr96
joshr96 Posts: 153
edited May 2012 in Road beginners
In the cycling sale at Aldi the other day I picked up a cheap cycling computer since I didn't have one. I've set it all up with the wires and zip ties. The little magnet thing that goes on the spokes of the wheel passes directly past the receiver attached to the forks and there is a battery in the actual console on my bars. I press a button on it and there is all the numbers and everything there as if I wasn't moving on the bike. For example. If I was stationary, it would say 00mph. But it does the same when I'm moving.

Has anyone got the same cycling computer that could offer any help?
Carrera TDF 2011 Limited Edition.
Crossbow Hybrid
Boardman AiR 9.8 one day..

Comments

• team47b
    team47b Posts: 6,425
    Not got one, but...

Have you programmed in the wheel circumference?
    Is the magnet within 5mm of the sensor?
    Try wiggling the cable where it meets the meter, is it a loose connection?
    Did you buy chocolate when you were in ALDI?

Best solution, sit and eat chocolate and wait for an expert :D
    my isetta is a 300cc bike
  • Tregolwyn
    Tregolwyn Posts: 20
    Could be the battery in the sensor on the fork is dead or maybe has a strip of plastic to stop it making contact before use. Battery shouldn't be dead but if its been sat in a warehouse for a few years it could well be.
  • team47b
    team47b Posts: 6,425
    Just remembered my wired cateye on my hybrid did the same as I was going along, it was the contact between the meter and the bit it clicks into was a bit lose, took it off, slid it back on, it was then OK

Have you finished the chocolate yet? :D
    my isetta is a 300cc bike
  • ForumNewbie
    ForumNewbie Posts: 1,664
    In the cycling sale at Aldi the other day I picked up a cheap cycling computer since I didn't have one. I've set it all up with the wires and zip ties. The little magnet thing that goes on the spokes of the wheel passes directly past the receiver attached to the forks and there is a battery in the actual console on my bars. I press a button on it and there is all the numbers and everything there as if I wasn't moving on the bike. For example. If I was stationary, it would say 00mph. But it does the same when I'm moving.

Has anyone got the same cycling computer that could offer any help?
    Have you definitely got the little magnet on the wheel passing the sensor part of the receiver attached to the frame? If so is it within 5mm? Try putting it closer and lift the front of the bike up and just spin the wheel and see if the display on the bars starts registering.
  • tomhowells
    tomhowells Posts: 171
    I had that, had to move the magnet on the spokes and the sensor on the forks further down the wheel so they passed each other a bit closer. As soon as I did that, Robert is your fathers brother.
    Boardman 8.9 SLR - Summer
    Holdsworth La Quelda - Commuter
    Moda Intro - Winter
    Planet X Stealth - TT
  • steelie600
    steelie600 Posts: 519
    yup ive got mine pretty close to the sensor, but works brilliantly. Well worth the fiver!!
    Idiot ^^^^^^^^^

Ralph
  • I had the opposite experience. I bought one a while back before I had my garmin... Couldn't get the damn thing to work ever. Ended up binning it
    Twitter: @FunkyMrMagic
  • Frank pole
    Frank pole Posts: 112
    Have you tried changing the battery in the magnet?
  • smidsy
    smidsy Posts: 5,273
    I have one and found that it needed very careful matching of the sensor and magnet.

The tie wrap fixing around the forks is difficult to get tight (well it was on my highly polished carbon ones) and that meant the sensor moved (with road vibration etc.) and the thing stopped working.

They need to be pretty damn close to each other and sit squarely in relation to each other for best performance.

I have since changed wheels and as they have flat spokes the magnet does not fit so I no longer use it - and to be honest I do not miss it.
    Yellow is the new Black.