How do you treat yours?

Chunkers1980
Chunkers1980 Posts: 8,035
edited May 2012 in MTB general
How does every one feel about minor scratches and dings ect in their steeds?

I think it's best to take well if it still functions as it should approach, then not worth working yourself up about it.... Otherwise there's pain to be had.

Trouble is I could name every incident of damage.

Comments

• qube
    qube Posts: 1,899
    Small scratches and dings are a fact of life and in the nature of the game.

Although I do look after it... not throwing it on the ground when resting etc etc, I always find a handy tree to lean it against.

If I find a scratch on the motor however, that's a different story! Out with the clay bar and polish!! :twisted:
  • ilovedirt
    ilovedirt Posts: 5,798
    I'm not too bothered, i break a lot of parts etc, scratches aren't really that much of a bother.
    Production Privee Shan

B'Twin Triban 5
  • Chunkers1980
    Chunkers1980 Posts: 8,035
    I'd add to that breaking stuff. That's more annoying as you need something new.
  • Anonymous
    Anonymous Posts: 79,667
    If it's not scuffed up, you haven't been using it.

I don't see my bike as some love object to be admired. Otherwise I'd make an effort to not look like a scruffy git for starters.
  • bluechair84
    bluechair84 Posts: 4,352
    Scars tell stories. If it's not battered, it's not being ridden hard enough! The only thing I do to look after it is not to upturn it on stony ground, I hate scratching the bar caps...
  • Ghostt
    Ghostt Posts: 192
    I don't think a bike looks right until it's got a few scratches and dents, and then there are the stories they tell. And yes breaking stuff pisses me off too, but not as much as it did my mate when he destroyed a brand new XO mech. Much ribbing did ensue :D
    Only those who will risk going too far can possibly find out how far one can go - T.S. Eliot
  • Greer_
    Greer_ Posts: 1,716
    Scars tell stories. If it's not battered, it's not being ridden hard enough! The only thing I do to look after it is not to upturn it on stony ground, I hate scratching the bar caps...

+1
  • Anonymous
    Anonymous Posts: 79,667
    Scratched caps, just buy another packet of Haribo at Superstar and you get bar caps included ;)
  • IT66T
    IT66T Posts: 377
    I'm not to bothered about scratches and minor dents as it can be repainted , i'd be more annoyed if it got nicked .
    You must treat others with respect in order to be respected ..
    09 5.2 Rockrider budget rescue . viewtopic.php?f=10017&t=13033836&p=19671152#p19670604
  • Abra
    Abra Posts: 338
    deadkenny wrote:
    Scratched caps, just buy another packet of Haribo at Superstar and you get bar caps included ;)

This :P
    DO MORE OF WHAT MAKES YOU HAPPY
  • sloppycowpat
    sloppycowpat Posts: 349
    mine are all scratched and battered and look used and loved, look much better when they are a bit muddy as well you cant tell :D

I don't like it when people wont use one of their bikes in case it gets chipped, scratched or muddy, just seem s pointless

when i was working in a bike shop the amount of people that would bring a bike back after a month or so asking for a partial refund because the bike was scratched was insane

leads on to another question if you bought a brand new bike from a lbs and it had a scratch would you refuse to take it even if they chucked in say a helmet? wouldn't bother me unless it was really bad
    worst moment ever...
    buzzing down twisting single track then.... psssst BANG!!!
  • dan shard
    dan shard Posts: 722
    Depends on the bike really. On my old cube I was very conscious of scratches as it was a very pretty bike. My remedy is a bit more of a tank so I could care less lol
  • Dub L
    Dub L Posts: 62
    I tend to notice them quite a bit when the bike is fairly new, after a while though it doesn't bother me, like everyone says, if it's pristine, you aren't using it properly.
  • Twelly
    Twelly Posts: 1,437
    All the scratches on mine are from me kicking it and throwing it in a bush when it breaks.
  • Majski
    Majski Posts: 443
    Scratches from riding don't bother me, scratches from uplift trailers do
  • homers_double
    homers_double Posts: 8,233
    Gutted, I almost rejected my Heckler when I collected it as it had been scratched on the swing arm in the shop. They did a free shock upgrade to an RP23 to compensate.

I almost still rejected it but common sense told me I'd hit that exact spot on its first outing anyway.
    Advocate of disc brakes.
  • mrmonkfinger
    mrmonkfinger Posts: 1,452
    second hand frame = pre-scratched

I'm not so worried about the odd scrape here and there.
  • craigw99
    craigw99 Posts: 224
    Gutted, I almost rejected my Heckler when I collected it as it had been scratched on the swing arm in the shop. They did a free shock upgrade to an RP23 to compensate.

I almost still rejected it but common sense told me I'd hit that exact spot on its first outing anyway.
    +1
    i got my boardman with some scratches on it - in places i knew i would get hit when out riding, some freebies eased the pain
    opinions are worth exactly what you pay for them ;-)
    2012 boardman team F/S tarting has begun..
    1992 cannondale m1000 still going just
  • Torres
    Torres Posts: 1,266
    It's part and parcel of riding; a bike that's been used as intended will have a wealth of scratches, scrapes and scars.
    I just live with them, but that doesn't stop it hurting a bit the first time I damage a new bike...
    What We Achieve In Life, Echoes In Eternity
  • ilovedirt
    ilovedirt Posts: 5,798
    Majski wrote:
    Scratches from riding don't bother me, scratches from uplift trailers do
    Yeah, uplift scars bug me a little, but you just have to be sensible in the way you stack the bikes. Though as long as my stanchions are ok, I'm never hugely bothered.
    Production Privee Shan

B'Twin Triban 5
  • Thewaylander
    Thewaylander Posts: 8,594
    I am amazed my bike still has paint left on it. Simples.