brakes help

dazzzer
dazzzer Posts: 72
edited May 2012 in MTB workshop & tech
Got my new bike today and just wonder how you can adjust the brake levers on my hydraulic brakes, the brakes work fine but I would like the lever to be a bit more faster to brake with less travel on the lever .

Comments

• The Rookie
    The Rookie Posts: 27,812
    Knowing what brakes they are would help - in fact it's crucial as they are all different!
    Currently riding a Whyte T130C, X0 drivetrain, Magura Trail brakes converted to mixed wheel size (homebuilt wheels) with 140mm Fox 34 Rhythm and RP23 suspension. 12.2Kg.
  • Greer_
    Greer_ Posts: 1,716
    Reach adjust wouldn't help, but maybe try advancing the pads? Take the wheel out, slowly squeeze the lever so the pads move CLOSER together. Re-insert wheel and pump the brake. Maybe topping up the resevoir could help too?

EDIT: Forgot about the most obvious - the brakes need to bed in as they are new. Give them a few rides before you start changing anything.
  • dazzzer
    The brakes are called Tektro Draco hydraulic .
  • qube
    qube Posts: 1,899
    Greer_ wrote:
    Forgot about the most obvious - the brakes need to bed in as they are new. Give them a few rides before you start changing anything.

+1
  • SUPERSUTT
    SUPERSUTT Posts: 292
    im looking for new pads for my Drakos no one seems to do them or are they compatible with another make ????
    falling off doesn't hurt....its the landing that hurts

FS Giant Trance X3 (2013)
    FS Specialized Camber 2011 (2011)=(stolen)
    HT Merlin Malt one (sold)
  • cooldad
    cooldad Posts: 32,599
    Have a look on Superstar - they have a chart of different shapes and (I think) some Shimano ones fit.
    I don't do smileys.

There is no secret ingredient - Kung Fu Panda

London Calling on Facebook

Parktools
  • dry664
    dry664 Posts: 155
    TEKTRO DRACOS!! If you are after new pads just look for Shimano M515 or Tektro Aurigas as they are the same. I tried the Superstar sintered (S2) but I found Nukeproof Enduro were a little better.
    Even with the new pads I find that the Dracos arent powerful enough to be consistent. Also the more Ive used them the longer the lever travel has got. Im just waiting for one last excuse before replacing them.
  • bikaholic
    bikaholic Posts: 350
    The obvious answer is to overfill the reservoirs to push the pistons closer to the rotor.
  • dazzzer
    bikaholic wrote:
    The obvious answer is to overfill the reservoirs to push the pistons closer to the rotor.
    If this means bleeding the brake system i think i will leave it for now as i dont want to mess around with that part of the brake system.
  • nicklouse
    nicklouse Posts: 50,675
    dazzzer wrote:
    bikaholic wrote:
    If this means bleeding the brake system i think i will leave it for now as i dont want to mess around with that part of the brake system.
    have you been out and beeded the pads in yet?
    have you adjusted the lever reach?

do these before anything else.

DO NOT overfill the system with fluid as it is the cause of most peoples problems.
    "Do not follow where the path may lead, Go instead where there is no path, and Leave a Trail."
    Parktools :?:SheldonBrown
  • SUPERSUTT
    SUPERSUTT Posts: 292
    dry664 wrote:
    TEKTRO DRACOS!! If you are after new pads just look for Shimano M515 or Tektro Aurigas as they are the same. I tried the Superstar sintered (S2) but I found Nukeproof Enduro were a little better.
    Even with the new pads I find that the Dracos arent powerful enough to be consistent. Also the more Ive used them the longer the lever travel has got. Im just waiting for one last excuse before replacing them.
    Im just waiting to upgrade/replace mine to im looking at shimano SLX
    falling off doesn't hurt....its the landing that hurts

FS Giant Trance X3 (2013)
    FS Specialized Camber 2011 (2011)=(stolen)
    HT Merlin Malt one (sold)