Chain cleaning units

mikeyj28
mikeyj28 Posts: 754
edited May 2012 in MTB buying advice
Hi

just a quick one.
How good are the chain cleaning units such as one shown below?

http://www.chainreactioncycles.com/Mode ... elID=12709

Are they generally hassle free and quick to set up while doing a good job?
Thanks
Constantly trying to upgrade my parts.It is a long road ahead as things are so expensive for little gain. n+1 is always the principle in my mind.

Comments

• Chunkers1980
    Chunkers1980 Posts: 8,035
    IMO waste of money and effort.
  • Can't comment on their effectiveness as i've not used one, but last week Aldi were selling an identical looking cleaning unit for about £4.
  • kenan
    kenan Posts: 952
    I'v had a few heap ones which have fallen appart on me but now have the park version and am very happy with it. I think they do a good job of getting the crap out betwen the chain links and are quick to use.
  • omegas
    omegas Posts: 970
    They make the outside of your chain look nice but I found they are not that good at cleaning the inside of the rollers.

If you have to clean your chain the most effective way is to take it off clean it in degreaser, wash out and re-lube.
  • apreading
    apreading Posts: 4,535
    IMO waste of money and effort.

In my experience (real world experience rather than just opinion), the best money I ever spent on the bike!

But I havent used the one you link to. I have used the below for years:

http://www.wiggle.co.uk/white-lightning ... leaner_Kit

but just upgraded to this http://www.wiggle.co.uk/muc-off-x-1-cha ... er-device/ albeit a non-branded version I got from hong kong but the same thing. It is even better as it has more rollers in different directions to really get inside.

I bet it you buy a bad one then they are REALLY bad, but if you get a good one then suddenly cleaning your chain well takes 30 seconds - literally!
  • Anonymous
    Anonymous Posts: 79,667
    Don't know about that exact one but the Park Tools one works perfectly.

No it won't strip the oil from the inside of the rollers however... you don't want to remove that oil for starters!

Full on degreasing people do are OTT in my opinion. All you need to do with chains is in most cases wipe down the outside and oil the surface of the rollers which works oil in.

If really mucky, a chain cleaner like this is fine as it doesn't wash the internal oil out (which is generally clean) but shifts the gritty crud from outside, including the surface of the rollers. i.e. all the external contact points which is where all the crud is.

Most people obsess far too much about chain cleaning. Hell you can even let it rust and just oil it and ride, and it's soon rid of the rust and still shifts fine ;)
  • felix.london
    felix.london Posts: 4,067
    Got the Park Tools one. Excellent bit of kit.
    "Why have that extra tooth if you're not using it?" - Brian Lopes

Votec V.SX Enduro 'Alpine Thug' 2012/2013 build

Trek Session 8
  • grenw
    grenw Posts: 804
    Got the Park Tools one. Excellent bit of kit.

Same here. Took a few mins to get used to it but makes cleaning a doddle and fairly mess free once you get used to it. Cleaning fluid can work out expensive though if you follow the instructions and you don't re-use it
  • Anonymous
    Anonymous Posts: 79,667
    GrenW wrote:
    Cleaning fluid can work out expensive though if you follow the instructions and you don't re-use it
    As per their suggestion of a replacement. Tiny dash of fairy liquid + water. Does the same job.
  • leaflite
    leaflite Posts: 1,651
    I used to use jizer degreaser. Now I use squirt wax lubricant, I dont have to degrease it at all-any dirt just wipes off with a rag.