BHF London to Brighton Accomodation

Cliveyp
Cliveyp Posts: 173
edited May 2012 in Commuting chat
Hey guys.....apologies if this is the wrong place to put it, i've been directed here from the Cake Stop in the Road section!

I'm (possibly rather stupidly) attempting the BHF London2Brighton day ride next month, and have assumed that a majority of you on here have probably done the same at some point!

Being Midlands-based, our team of three are looking for accomodation for the Saturday night, be it in London or Brighton we're not too bothered, but obviously have a number of requirements:
1) To be close to either start or finish line (official transport will be booked for necessary journey)
2) To have fairly secure car parking near-by
3) To have somewhere to store the bikes the night before that we can get access to early-doors

Can anyone recommend anything?? I'm starting to get a little stressed that i'm the only one looking into it and the remainder of my team are seemingly blase about it all!

Thanks in advance!
2015 Ridley Fenix 105
2012 Cube Ltd SL
2011 Trek 1.2 - Sold
2001 Giant Boulder - Sold

Comments

• tgotb
    tgotb Posts: 4,714
    You could try one of the budget hotel chains, such as Travelodge. They tend to have car parks which I'm sure are fairly safe/secure, and I'm sure they'd let you keep bikes in your rooms if they're clean. Doesn't have to be too close to the start/finish either, as you can cycle there...
    Pannier, 120rpm.
  • t4tomo
    t4tomo Posts: 2,643
    unless you want to cycle it both ways, i suggest dumping your car in brighton on Saturday earlyish and then taking the train back upto London with your bike on the saturday (as they will take bikes on train on Sat) to your hotel.

Once you've done the ride its then pretty hassle free getting home as your car and bike and you are all in the same place.

You can't return on the train with your bike on the sunday so you either cycle back or have the hassle of bus and lorry transport.
    Bianchi Infinito CV
    Bianchi Via Nirone 7 Ultegra
    Brompton S Type
    Carrera Vengeance Ultimate Ltd
    Gary Fisher Aquila '98
    Front half of a Viking Saratoga Tandem
  • Mr Sworld
    Mr Sworld Posts: 703
    When you get to Maderia Drive (where the finish line is) there is a quiet wooded area further down called Dukes Mound. If you hang around there in your spandex I'm sure some nice gentlemen will arrive and offer you a bed for the night... :wink:
  • Cliveyp
    Cliveyp Posts: 173
    I've gotta say........thats really given me the shivvers!! :lol:
    2015 Ridley Fenix 105
    2012 Cube Ltd SL
    2011 Trek 1.2 - Sold
    2001 Giant Boulder - Sold
  • richVSrich
    richVSrich Posts: 527
    t4tomo wrote:
    unless you want to cycle it both ways, i suggest dumping your car in brighton on Saturday earlyish and then taking the train back upto London with your bike on the saturday (as they will take bikes on train on Sat) to your hotel.

Once you've done the ride its then pretty hassle free getting home as your car and bike and you are all in the same place.

You can't return on the train with your bike on the sunday so you either cycle back or have the hassle of bus and lorry transport.

this sounds like a decent idea - just get the train back up to Clapham Junction, will then take you about 10 mins cycle (at a relaxed pace) to get to the common start line - depending on what ime you want to start you might even be able to get the train first thing in the morning on the sunday (and just sleep in brighton) - 50 mins on the train - brighton - clapham junction..
    be warned, that its better to go as early as you can unless you like huge crowds (though it is kinda fun)

i dont know of many hotels around clapham ...
  • MonkeyMonster
    MonkeyMonster Posts: 4,629
    TGOTB wrote:
    You could try one of the budget hotel chains, such as Travelodge. They tend to have car parks which I'm sure are fairly safe/secure, and I'm sure they'd let you keep bikes in your rooms if they're clean. Doesn't have to be too close to the start/finish either, as you can cycle there...

Very good idea.

You can't put the bike on the train at all. Don't try it. The few times a few people have been lucky has involved cycling back well over 3-4 hours worth before hitting trains that will ever so kindly let you if you get a nice conductor - do not expect this.
    Le Cannon [98 Cannondale M400] [FCN: 8]
    The Mad Monkey [2013 Hoy 003] [FCN: 4]