Seat Dropper, maybe the Kronolog

MrCubeLtd
MrCubeLtd Posts: 192
edited May 2012 in MTB buying advice
The Crank Brothers Kronolog is due out soon. £224 from most UK sites. Now I know CB gets a bad press for shoddy products but there is also good reviews for their stuff. Looking for a dropper.

Reason for interest in the CB Kronolog is I prefere the handlebar mounted switch to the Reverb. It looks more unbreakable then the plastic one from Rock Shox. Plus it is air operated and based on the videos I have seen it seems to be a smother operation.

http://www.crankbrothers.com/seatposts_kronolog.php

According to CB, many Pro riders are using this.

Would you go for the Kronolog or get the 2012 Reverb?
I'm pedalling as fast as I can!

Comments

• Possibly not helping as such, but one of the lads at the weekend made a vaild point.

If your're someone that likes to drop your post all the way into the frame, then the CB Kronolog cant be for you.
    The mechanical gubbins at the bottom of the post means the minimum height is always an inch or so above the top of the seat tube.

Whereas the Reverb will drop all the way into the frame pretty much.
  • MrCubeLtd
    A valid point never that I never thought off, maybe the Reverb is a better option.

I have a 400mm seat post that is 140mm out for my seat height. Any more then 140mm and I would struggle to keep both feet touching the ground.

Does the Reverb 380mm with 125mm travel seem like the best option for the Reverb?

Thanks

sorry forgot to add thats on a 31.6mm post
  • chez_m356
    chez_m356 Posts: 1,893
    why do you need both feet on the ground ?
    Specialized Hardrock Sport Disc 10- CANYON Nerve AM 6 2011
  • MrCubeLtd
    Old habit from my motorbike days. Like at least ball of both feet touching the ground. Is this a bad habit? :D

I've just upped the seat to 160mm height from stem and can still touch the floor ok ish. Maybe it was too low?
  • chez_m356
    MrCubeLtd wrote:
    Old habit from my motorbike days. Like at least ball of both feet touching the ground. Is this a bad habit? :D
    it depends how you look at it, everyone has there own preference, but if i have my seat at normal riding height, i cant touch the ground with either foot without leaning the bike over, all about the optimal riding position, leg extension etc etc
  • MrCubeLtd
    I can go higher with the seat slightly, my leg is fully extended at 165mm seat height. anymore and I wouldn't feel comfortable when riding. Its only been a month riding since a 22 year lay off so still lacking confidence on some aspects!
  • chez_m356
    MrCubeLtd wrote:
    I can go higher with the seat slightly, my leg is fully extended at 165mm seat height. anymore and I wouldn't feel comfortable when riding. Its only been a month riding since a 22 year lay off so still lacking confidence on some aspects!
    a little bit of info here regarding set up http://www.bikeradar.com/fitness/articl ... ike-22707/ may be of some use to you
  • MrCubeLtd
    Much appreciated :D
  • lostboysaint
    lostboysaint Posts: 4,250
    Crank Brothers must be fairly confident of their products now as most come with a 5 year warranty, so if it does fail you've got a long time of coverage!
    Trail fun - Transition Bandit
    Road - Wilier Izoard Centaur/Cube Agree C62 Disc
    Allround - Cotic Solaris
  • MrCubeLtd
    Does sound tempting but like NorthernMonkey said there is at least a 1" drop limit due to the base of the Kronolog.
    As for CB's products I can only go on what I have read online etc Some good, some bad. I don't know enough from experience or other rider's to say if any good or not. Hence my post here....

I prefer the Kronolog to the Reverb, plus its cheaper as well. But the Reverb has some excellent reviews from people but then the Kronolog could be right after years of CB faffing up the Joplin.

I'm tired of having to drop and raise the seat on descents, I didn't lower it enough yesterday and smacked my b*llocks into the seat, ended up walking like John Wayne :D (I panic breaked too hard - lack of experience was to blame. My logic is now working overtime and £250 ish gold coins will save me a trip to the hospital next time around.
  • jairaj
    jairaj Posts: 3,009
    Do you guys really need the seat post so low down that 1 inch of seat post sticking out is an issue?

Most modern frames have loads of stand over these days that even a couple inches out of the frame shouldn't be an issue.

If you like the fixed cable routing of the Kronolog then have a look at the Gravity Dropper too they've been doing it for ages also the new KS Lev seat post should be out soon. Both brands have better reliability than Crank Bros
  • MrCubeLtd
    edited May 2012
    Correct me if I'm wrong but dosen't the gravity dropper need wedges to fit most seat stems? ie The diameter on the gravity is for 30.9mm?

Bike Components have the Lev, 20 day lead time for €249 plus postage
    http://www.bike-components.de/products/ ... 2012-.html
  • styxd
    styxd Posts: 3,234
    Do you guys really need the seat post so low down that 1 inch of seat post sticking out is an issue?

Some people like to use their bikes for other styles of riding than just mincing round trail centres. For this, a slammed saddle is preferable.
  • jairaj
    MrCubeLtd wrote:
    Correct me if I'm wrong but dosen't the gravity dropper need wedges to fit most seat stems? ie The diameter on the gravity is for 30.9mm?

Depends which model you go for I think they come in 27.2mm and 30.9mm and shims to make them fit most other sizes. But what's wrong with using a shim?
  • MrCubeLtd
    Don't the shims eventually cause the seat post to come loose? Only going with what I read on other forums.
  • MrCubeLtd
    edited May 2012
    Also now looking at the KS Dropzone. Leisure Bikes have it for 179.99 inc remote. Reviews look good and its going to save me some cash.

Trying to find the best way to thrase this....

The base of the dropzone (black body) appears on pictures to not be flush with the seat stem and sticks out a fair way, then seatpost on top. Does this make sense?

So for my setup, 165mm (6.5") of my seat post sits above the stem. If I was to get the Dropzone how much of that 165mm would be used up by the body, then seat post on top?

Ignore this spoke to leisure bikes and the body can be slotted to meet ride height whilst inc 5" post height. Panic over
  • jairaj wrote:
    Most modern frames have loads of stand over these days that even a couple inches out of the frame shouldn't be an issue.

Standover height is a thing of the past though... there is a thread somewhere.
  • MrCubeLtd
    Just ordered the Pure Racing LS Dropzone 31.6mm Black got the last one from Leisurebikes for £179.99 all in...

No more smashed goolies on the bike :D
  • pilch
    pilch Posts: 1,136
    This looks pretty good, some nice features: below the bar button, clip in cable, quite tempted by it...

http://www.bikerumor.com/2012/02/13/blacx-2012-jewel-magnetic-air-dropper-seatpost-gets-stronger-lighter-better/
    A berm? were you expecting one?

29er race

29er bouncer
  • Torres
    Torres Posts: 1,266
    Saw this on pinkbike this morning.

I know it's only one persons opinion, but it does point out a few issues that may need to be addressed.
    What We Achieve In Life, Echoes In Eternity
  • leaflite
    leaflite Posts: 1,651
    Torres wrote:
    Saw this on pinkbike this morning.

I know it's only one persons opinion, but it does point out a few issues that may need to be addressed.

That wear on the post shaft looks like a major design flaw! Looks like the crank brothers warranty department will be busy :lol:
  • jairaj
    leaflite wrote:
    That wear on the post shaft looks like a major design flaw! Looks like the crank brothers warranty department will be busy :lol:

Scroll down to the bottom for Crank Bros response. Seems like they'll just blame it on incorrect setup by the customer.
  • Torres
    Torres Posts: 1,266
    They do; however the tolerances required to ensure a the post will function correctly and wont eat itself are too small for a ham-fisted-ape like myself.
    What We Achieve In Life, Echoes In Eternity
  • lawman
    lawman Posts: 6,868
    jairaj wrote:
    leaflite wrote:

Scroll down to the bottom for Crank Bros response. Seems like they'll just blame it on incorrect setup by the customer.

Well they're hardly gonna say they've made a shit product are they! Very, very few manufacturers have the honesty to own up to there own cock up. The window of setup they claim is utterly ridiculous, and how they can claim that the wear experienced by pinkbike shows its working properly is just plain insane.
  • MrCubeLtd
    I work from home, I've extended the intercom strapped to my head, I can reach most rooms before the cable gets tangled waiting for the glorious Mr Postman with my new dropper :D

On a more serious note: I have grease ready, should I grease the inside of the seat tube before slotting in the dropper or grease the base of the dropper that sits in the seat tube?

thanks
  • MrCubeLtd
    Just installed my droppper. Cable is flush with frame via black cable ties. Been for a quick blast, got seat position correct and also running slightly higher then before but finding it more comfortable to ride and get more power to the peddles.

I have a question regarding routing the dropper cable from the right front handlebar. Do I route under the lever or over? When under the lever, there is no clashing with the break lever etc But not sure what is best to do?
    THanks
  • jairaj
    do what ever feels more comfortable. although watch out for cable rub and use a protection patch if required on the lever.
  • MrCubeLtd
    Or I could cable tie loosly to the existing loom at the front, providing full lock left and right dosen't pull the cable tight?

Full lock both ways and plenty of play in the cable. :D
  • dusk
    dusk Posts: 583
    it's less likely to break in a crash if mounted underneath, you can also put your bike upside down without damage
    YT Wicked 160 ltd
    Cotic BFe
    DMR Trailstar
    Canyon Roadlite
  • that would annoy the p*ss outa me! whats the chance that it could move to cover the lever and get in the way?

Seems a good product in theory but a bit shonky when it comes down to it? Same as the old ones then...