Short cage 10sp rear mech?

The Northern Monkey
The Northern Monkey Posts: 19,174
edited May 2012 in MTB buying advice
Wondering, does anyone do a short cage 10sp rear mech?

Thinking of putting 10sp on my canyon to give a better range for when xc'ing. Currently its a bit tough to get up them hills.
But I only have a single ring up front and I dabble in DH, so don't want a long cage thats more susceptible to rock strikes/breaking when I inevitably bin it.

Comments

• nicklouse
    nicklouse Posts: 50,675
    "Do not follow where the path may lead, Go instead where there is no path, and Leave a Trail."
    Parktools :?:SheldonBrown
  • Never been on the shimano site... man thats terrible.

Anyways, Shimano XT 10sp Short Cage?

I can find a road 10sp short cage but not an xt....
  • Ahhh wait.. GS not SS. doh.

So they do a medium but not a short... that makes sense.
  • Thewaylander
    Thewaylander Posts: 8,594
    I know SRAM do short cage in X7 and X9 mechs

And you can get a 36 tooth on the back then which would really help if you want to get it up the hill :)
  • warpcow
    warpcow Posts: 1,448
    Then there's the new Saint and Zee stuff coming in the next couple of months. That's what I'm holding out for.
  • Anonymous
    Anonymous Posts: 79,667
    I run a short cage X9 on the hard tail with 12-36 cassette, 34t up front. Little slack in that and shifts great.

And yeah, definitely don't want a long cage for a single up front. Not sure about using a short cage on a full sus even with single ring though due to movement of the chain as the suspension moves. Certainly fine for a hard tail though.
  • nicklouse
    nicklouse Posts: 50,675
    short is fine on most sus frames.
    "Do not follow where the path may lead, Go instead where there is no path, and Leave a Trail."
    Parktools :?:SheldonBrown
  • agg25
    agg25 Posts: 619
    Could go for the XTR GS shadow which will reduce chain slap as well or wait for the Saint/XT/SLX to come out. They may be medium cage though, not short (except for the Saint)
  • Chunkers1980
    Chunkers1980 Posts: 8,035
    I'd don't see how a normal short cage reduces slap. It moves the chain closer to the stays
  • agg25
    The shadow has a chain slap reducing mechanism in it which holds the chain tighter, google it
  • Chunkers1980
    'the shadow' there are lots of them. I'm fully aware.
  • agg25
    well as it was in reply to my previous post which mentioned the XTR GS shadow didn't think I'd have to repeat myself but anyway, this one -> http://www.artscyclery.com/descpage-SHRD980GS.html
  • bails87
    bails87 Posts: 12,998
    Chunkers wasn't talking about the 'plus' clutch not working, he said "I'd don't see how a normal short cage reduces slap"
    MTB/CX

"As I said last time, it won't happen again."
  • Thewaylander
    I'd don't see how a normal short cage reduces slap. It moves the chain closer to the stays

basically there is less chain in the loop as you run less gears,

Less chain = less range of movement pretty much on a simple terms.
  • Anonymous
    Anonymous Posts: 79,667
    That's my understanding, or something like that. That's what I'd read anyway when I did my 1x10 hard tail, and pretty much the advice from SRAM too. Works for me anyway. Good enough that I don't need to consider a chain device and it's not clattering on a bit of gnarl. Unlike my 2x10 on the big rig which has a medium cage. Bigger ring has more tension but it slaps about a lot still and may end up with a chain device.
  • Chunkers1980

Yes, but some is offset by being closer to the stay?
  • Thewaylander

Yes, but some is offset by being closer to the stay?

the mech isn't smaller, thehanging cage is so distantce from the frame remains equal, but there is less chain so generally the system is under more tension.
  • oodboo
    oodboo Posts: 2,171
    Less leverage on the spring maintaining the chain tension. A longer cage (ie lever) requires less force to pull the cage forward allowing slack. That's how I thought it worked anyway.

The cage length debate is more about gear range though.
    I love horses, best of all the animals. I love horses, they're my friends.

Strava