Another Halfords Warning

ElliesDad
ElliesDad Posts: 245
edited May 2012 in MTB buying advice
Just to share my recent experience of buying an MTB from Halfords.

Two weeks ago I bought a Boardman Comp HT, don't get me wrong the bike is superb, suites my needs brilliantly and is a real bargain considering the spec of the bike. Where it all falls apart though is buying it from Halfords.

As many people know, when buying through Halfords the general consensus is to either buy it boxed and build yourself, take it to your LBS for a thourough check or at the very least give it a once over yourself if you know what you are doing. I ordered the bike online to be built in store, only to find when I went to pick it up it was down as a boxed bike. To Halfords credit they built the bike the same day for me, however I ended up adjusting both the gears and the brakes at home that evening. Everything else seemd ok. However, I took my 6 year old daughter to Cannock last Sunday and took her round the green route so nothing too onerous but one of the pedals felt a little strange. When I stopped to investigate, the pedal axle had was not straight and had worked loose. When I got home I took the pedal off to find that the thread on the crank arm had been completely stripped, obviously the pedal had breen cross threaded when put on the bike.

I took the bike straight into Halfords, a little worried as the receipt still said that the bike had been boxed, however to Halfords credit the guy that served me recognised me and said without argument that they would change the crank arm under warranty. Good result I thought even though they can't get a new crank arm until Thursday, but at the end of the day its not really good enough that Halfords are sending bikes out with basic faults. How many unsuspecting punters without any bike knowledge are taking delivery of bikes in a potentially dangerous condition.

So in short, although the mid to higher end Halfords bikes are great bikes and brilliant value for money, buyers beware and make sure you properly check the bike out before using it.
2012 Boardman FS Team
2014 Giant Defy 2

Comments

• Twelly
    Twelly Posts: 1,437
    I done this myself when I was younger and I built my first boxed bike (I was 15 I think) It's probably the easiest and most costly mistake you can make when bolting the bits together on a boxed bike. I would expect a bike retailer to know better than an impatient 15 year old with little-to-no mechanical skill (me at the time!) though.

At least they are sorting it out for you, they could have put up a fight and been bastards about it.
  • Mistake made and then fixed within very good timescales?
    WTF else do you want?

Mistakes happen, not just at Halfords.
  • nicklouse
    nicklouse Posts: 50,675
    same can happen any where.

some are good and some could do better just like any shop.

Get over it topic locked.
    "Do not follow where the path may lead, Go instead where there is no path, and Leave a Trail."
    Parktools :?:SheldonBrown
  • nicklouse
    nicklouse Posts: 50,675
    ElliesDad wrote:
    Just to share my recent experience of buying an MTB from Halfords.

Two weeks ago I bought a Boardman Comp HT, don't get me wrong the bike is superb, suites my needs brilliantly and is a real bargain considering the spec of the bike. Where it all falls apart though is buying it from Halfords.

As many people know, when buying through Halfords the general consensus is to either buy it boxed and build yourself, take it to your LBS for a thourough check or at the very least give it a once over yourself if you know what you are doing. I ordered the bike online to be built in store, only to find when I went to pick it up it was down as a boxed bike. To Halfords credit they built the bike the same day for me, however I ended up adjusting both the gears and the brakes at home that evening. Everything else seemd ok. However, I took my 6 year old daughter to Cannock last Sunday and took her round the green route so nothing too onerous but one of the pedals felt a little strange. When I stopped to investigate, the pedal axle had was not straight and had worked loose. When I got home I took the pedal off to find that the thread on the crank arm had been completely stripped, obviously the pedal had breen cross threaded when put on the bike.
    I took the bike straight into Halfords, a little worried as the receipt still said that the bike had been boxed, however to Halfords credit the guy that served me recognised me and said without argument that they would change the crank arm under warranty. Good result I thought even though they can't get a new crank arm until Thursday, but at the end of the day its not really good enough that Halfords are sending bikes out with basic faults. How many unsuspecting punters without any bike knowledge are taking delivery of bikes in a potentially dangerous condition.

So in short, although the mid to higher end Halfords bikes are great bikes and brilliant value for money, buyers beware and make sure you properly check the bike out before using it.
    not obviously. more likey you did not spot it was lose when you checked it and it was damaged as the user could not tell it was lose.
    "Do not follow where the path may lead, Go instead where there is no path, and Leave a Trail."
    Parktools :?:SheldonBrown
This discussion has been closed.