The Long Way Home

lighty89
lighty89 Posts: 183
edited May 2012 in Commuting general
So... Who takes the long route home?
My commute is about 2.5 miles on the way, and is all uphill constantly.
I usually go this way home, but cant help think the longer, less hilly and more scenic route is going to be better!
MTB - VooDoo Bantu
Commuter - Raleigh Grande

Comments

• Kieran_Burns
    Kieran_Burns Posts: 9,757
    I always take the long route home tbh - the shortest distance is 10 miles, but I don't like the route so always take the 12.2 mile variant instead.

On the odd occasion I'll loop back through Nottingham and along the canal path which is 18 miles of blissful tracks...hmmm... speaking of which.
    Chunky Cyclists need your love too! :-)
    2009 Specialized Tricross Sport
    2011 Trek Madone 4.5
    2012 Felt F65X
    Proud CX Pervert and quiet roadie. 12 mile commuter
  • lighty89
    lighty89 Posts: 183
    Sounds good, yeah the 2.5 mile uphill slog is pretty grim.
    The nice route home would definately be a bit better, especially when the weather is a little nicer!
    MTB - VooDoo Bantu
    Commuter - Raleigh Grande
  • mudcow007
    mudcow007 Posts: 3,861
    my normal route is 6miles ish, but when the weather is good, it turns into 16miles
    Keeping it classy since '83
  • Initialised
    Initialised Posts: 3,047
    Not done my proper ~30mile long route for some time. Mostly just adding a mile of climbing at the moment. I save it for when the weather picks up and the kids are away.
    I used to just ride my bike to work but now I find myself going out looking for bigger and bigger hills.
  • CiB
    CiB Posts: 6,098
    Just did the first proper one of the year so stretched it out to 33 miles by the simple act of turning left instead of going straight on or right. Eventually the headwind became a crosswind became a tail wind. Fun. And like Mudcow said, now that the weather has improved a bit and I'd only be coming home to an empty house tonight it would have been rude not to take advantage.
  • rubertoe
    rubertoe Posts: 3,994
    The wind was a killer tonight and I had really bad Friday legs so I just ambled home!

I was actually praying for the return of the rain if it would have forgone the wind, roll on the 25 degree still air summer.
    "If you always do what you've always done, you'll always get what you've always got."

PX Kaffenback 2 = Work Horse
    B-Twin Alur 700 = Sundays and Hills