Superstar Switch hubs and Sapim CX Ray spokes ?

hucking_fell
hucking_fell Posts: 1,056
edited May 2012 in MTB buying advice
Hi, I'm thinking of getting these wheels from Superstar, for the BFe:

Custom Wheelset Generator - Pair of Wheels £328.98
- Adaptor Included F - SWITCH HUBS 20mm Adaptor
- Adaptor Included R - SWITCH HUBS QR Adaptor
- Hub Type Front Switch EVO Front Hub - Black
- Hub Type Rear Switch EVO Rear Hub - Black
- Nipples Brass
- Rim Stans Arch EX Disc Black - Instock
- Rimtape Included Free of Charge
- Spokes CX Ray Black SAPIM Spokes - Ultralight Bladed

My questions:

Are these hubs any good ? Every hub I currently own is a Hope (Bulbs, XCs and Pro2s). Are these as good ?

Can the fancy flat spokes be as strong as say Sapim double butted 2.0mm - 1.8mm spokes ?

I know the strength and flex of a wheel depends a lot on how well a wheel is built but does anyone have these hubs or spokes and use them for fairly aggresive XC type riding ?

Thanks.
More freerange chicken than Freeride God
Bighit , 5 , BFe

Comments

• sanchez89
    sanchez89 Posts: 567
    the guys on my DH course on saturday were using Superstars AM wheelsets and they said they have held up fine for DH duties, jumps, drops, rocks, roots etc.

i would imagine that as long as they wheels are built well, which i think most sets from Superstar are, they will be fine.

however if you buy and do have issues, as long as you are not using them beyond there imagined purpose, feel free to get in touch with them, they will probably be more than happy to help you out.
    2011 KHS Full Susser Carbon 29er Race Build
    Clank wrote:
    M'eh, I might just go back to zapping it with frikken lay-zur beeeems. And sharks.
  • warpcow
    warpcow Posts: 1,448
    The hubs have been fine for me. The bearings are a bit hit-or-miss, but they're easily replaceable. I'd check on the notubes website (in their forum) about aero-spokes and Stan's rims. There are some who say that aero-spokes cannot be adequately tensioned in non-eyelet rims, but then there are quite a few people who seem to have no problems with it. The spokes themselves are actually said to be stonger than some round-profile ones. Stiffness is comparable to round-profile ones for a given weight, but only if tensioned higher than round-profile.
  • I use the switch on my Canyon for everything from XC to DH... exactly the same as hope pro2, but without the cracking issues.
    Still get the great customer service too.