Mavic freehub width

The Rookie
The Rookie Posts: 27,812
edited May 2012 in MTB workshop & tech
Using Crossrides, I know the freehub needs a spacer for my nine speed cassette, but WHY, it looks like an extra gear would fit in there (so 10 speeds at '9 speed' seperation) but where do I get such a cassette?
Currently riding a Whyte T130C, X0 drivetrain, Magura Trail brakes converted to mixed wheel size (homebuilt wheels) with 140mm Fox 34 Rhythm and RP23 suspension. 12.2Kg.

Comments

• nicklouse
    nicklouse Posts: 50,675
    Mavic M10 bodies are designed to work with Mavic 10spd cassettes which do not need a spacer.

Sram and Shimano 10spd MTB cassettes need the Mavic spacer. Sram road 10spd cassettes likewise. Shimano 10spd road cassettes need the shimano spacer as well as the Mavic one.

and dont bother with thw Mavic one.
    "Do not follow where the path may lead, Go instead where there is no path, and Leave a Trail."
    Parktools :?:SheldonBrown
  • The Rookie
    Thanks Nick, I wasn't going to bother with the Mavic one, but had thought of usint a 36T and 9 speed spacer with an 11-32 cassette to make the rear 10 speed, presumably the Mavic spacing is the same as 9 speed? If so I could use my XT mech with some form of 10 speed shifter? Or am I being optimistic?
    Currently riding a Whyte T130C, X0 drivetrain, Magura Trail brakes converted to mixed wheel size (homebuilt wheels) with 140mm Fox 34 Rhythm and RP23 suspension. 12.2Kg.
  • nicklouse
    presumably the Mavic spacing is the same as 9 speed?
    no idea. (later add in if I had to guess i would say no).

it may be mavic special...... never bothere with mavic hubs and cassettes or shifters as they used to be more roadie....
    "Do not follow where the path may lead, Go instead where there is no path, and Leave a Trail."
  • The Rookie
    OK, thanks Nick, time to be guinea pig I think.....

Hypothesis, will take extra sprocket and spacer - easy check
    Can use existing XT rear mech - again easy to check it has the reach
    What shifter..........

Will look, but what mech/shifter do you use with the Mavic cassette?
  • nicklouse
    OK, thanks Nick, time to be guinea pig I think.....

Hypothesis, will take extra sprocket and spacer - easy check
    Can use existing XT rear mech - again easy to check it has the reach
    What shifter..........

Will look, but what mech/shifter do you use with the Mavic cassette?

something roadie.

Look at the flat bar 10spd shifters.
  • The Rookie
    I thought of that, but the throw for them across 10 speeds with an MTB mech is the same as the throw for 9 speed (Shimano 10sp cassette being the same width as 9sp cassette) so that won't work, I need something that moves it further than a normal ten, so wondered if MTB 10 speed would do it....
  • nicklouse
    nope the shimano 10 is wider than the 9.

Road based shifter with an MTB 9spd rear mech.

done.
  • The Rookie
    nicklouse wrote:
    nope the shimano 10 is wider than the 9.
    But they fit the same freehub......or am I missing something, either way the gears are closer together on 10sp as I understand it so my 9 speed +1 cassette won't be compatable surely?

Just found out that the Mavic M10 cassette is effectictively Campag 10 speed design (wider than Shimano 10sp) but with Shimano HG compatable internal splines, so it would work fine if I were using Campag mech/shifters!
  • nicklouse
    yes they fit on the same free body but the 10 spd over hangs the flange. the road 10 spd needs a spacer to fit on the shimano body. does that mean it is narrower? nope it is wider but they just designed it like that.

so options.

if you want 10 spd new spacers and make a cassette out of 9spd cogs...... or just go 9 or 10 spd.
  • The Rookie
    OK thanks Nick.....may try that then....
  • nicklouse
    yep using a 9spd cassette and just adding a cog and spacer would work but only as a 9spd as there is no shifter to do it UNLESS you find and old friction shift that may have the range and who cares about indexing?
  • Chunkers1980
    Chunkers1980 Posts: 8,035
    Sounds like a major bodge to me. Give up I say Simon, more interesting things to have a go a first.