Bike tool advice

hard-rider
hard-rider Posts: 460
edited May 2012 in MTB buying advice
I have general workshop tools (from working on cars) but no bike specific stuff and would like to buy some of the essential bike specific tools to allow me to carry out maintenance on the bike.

I was initially going to buy one of the those 18 or 25 piece tool sets but they seem to have a lot of tools I don't require and some that I wouldn't fit parts of my bike so don't think they are worth it. I also worry that the quality of the tools is not as good as if you bought individually.

I'm looking at getting the following:
    Cone spanners. What sizes should I get and do I require more than one of a specific size? 9 speed Chain whip. Cassette lock ring removal tool. Chain splitter. I have one on my multitool but want a workshop one to preserve the multitool for the road. Pedal spanner. Spoke key. Any particular brand / model? I once read that the one that looks like a red disc was best but cannot remember what it was. Hollowtech II BB tool. Crank installation tool for hollowtech II. Chain wear indicator.

I know Parktools have a good rep but are quite expensive so am looking for good alternatives. The Lifeline range on Wiggle looks good value and seems to rate well as does the X-tools brand on CRC. Would either of these brands be fine?

I'd appreciate any comments or recommendations.