Physics thoughts....

2»

Comments

• bluechair84
    bluechair84 Posts: 4,352
    As a side line to the physics lesson, how about a shock which doesn't have a rebound circuit in the traditional sense but a motor on a ratchet. The rebound drives the motor which converts the stored potential energy (or rebounding kinetic energy) into electrical energy. A smart system could manage the amount of effort needed to turn the motor during rebound depending on what ever factor you like; a switch that says sand/snow/climbing/descending on it, like a Landy. The energy in the rebound can be stored in a battery and used solely to control the rebound rate, or if it collects substantial amounts, power other things.
  • YeehaaMcgee
    YeehaaMcgee Posts: 5,740
    As a side line to the physics lesson, how about a shock which doesn't have a rebound circuit in the traditional sense but a motor on a ratchet. The rebound drives the motor which converts the stored potential energy (or rebounding kinetic energy) into electrical energy. A smart system could manage the amount of effort needed to turn the motor during rebound depending on what ever factor you like; a switch that says sand/snow/climbing/descending on it, like a Landy. The energy in the rebound can be stored in a battery and used solely to control the rebound rate, or if it collects substantial amounts, power other things.
    That's similar to one of the theories on rearwards axle paths on full suss MTBs. As the rear wheel travels away from the BB, it rotates ever so slightly, driving the bike forwards.

EDIT:
    Sorry, I slightly misread, I thought you were suggesting using the electrical energy to drive the bike, not adjust the rebound.
  • bluechair84
    Initially, I thought of suggesting driving the rear wheel through a motor but I figured you'd probably not produce enough energy to mitigate the weight of a driving motor... which is why the post fizzled out like a wet fart with 'power other things'. But it could maybe keep charged the battery for the new electric gears?
  • YeehaaMcgee
    YeehaaMcgee Posts: 5,740
    Or vibrating handlebars to reduce pins and needles and arm pump :lol:
  • cycle monster
    cycle monster Posts: 448
    Physics? This is giving me nightmares and must stop. I will gladly take double maths instead.
  • bluechair84
    Or vibrating handlebars to reduce pins and needles and arm pump :lol:
    Careful now, the women on here might start getting the wrong idea with such technology