M&S Insurance - Crash Damage

Soni
Soni Posts: 1,217
edited May 2012 in The bottom bracket
I took out insurance through M&S a couple of years ago on the back of the positive feedback i read on this forum.

I remember when i spoke to them on the phone they said there is no requirement to list each individual item/bike as there cover is quite high for each item, and you only have to name items over that value (can't remember exactly what it was now).

Anyway, moving on, i'm getting a new bike in the next few weeks and REALLY want a Madone 5.2, but i'm worried about crashing/dropping it, so also thinking about the CAAD10 Ultegra, although i already have a Trek 2.5 with Ultegra and don't think it would be a good enough jump going with the CAAD.

So, to cut to the chase, i 'think' i recall M&S insurance covering for crash damage when riding providing its not during racing? Or am i imagining things?

I have the policy document upstairs stashed away, but will take a while to find, just thought i would ask in case anybody knows off the top of their heads?

Comments

• cooldad
    cooldad Posts: 32,599
    Or just check their website. There'll be a copy.
    I don't do smileys.

There is no secret ingredient - Kung Fu Panda

London Calling on Facebook

Parktools
  • geoffgomez
    geoffgomez Posts: 34
    Even if someone does know off the top of their heads I'd really check the cover documents if I were you.

Damn, now I sound like my Granddad. Nice bike though, can't see an envy smilie but if there was one I'd be adding it here.
  • daviesee
    daviesee Posts: 6,386
    Check your documents.

Online is no good as they have changed their conditions for new customers.
    I checked when my renewal was up and it was confirmed that my old documents covered me and that my cover was unchanged. I did not recieve new documents upon renewal.

IIRC it depends on your cover. If you took out the Premium level and took the "Away from Home" option then I think that you are covered. If you didn't, well.......
    None of the above should be taken seriously, and certainly not personally.
  • OffTheBackAdam
    OffTheBackAdam Posts: 1,869
    http://money.marksandspencer.com/media- ... /PR100174/

Old item, but states that items over £3,999 must be specified.
    This looks worth a read for yourself.
    http://singletrackworld.com/forum/topic ... full-whack
    Remember that you are an Englishman and thus have won first prize in the lottery of life.
  • team47b
    team47b Posts: 6,425
    If you have the slightest inkling that the insurance company might try to wriggle out of anything, then you are probably right, they will, sneaky bunch of bastardos!

woke up in a mood today
    my isetta is a 300cc bike
  • sfichele
    sfichele Posts: 605
    I love Douglas Adams [hitch hikers gttg] quote about insurance company scoundrels.

“If the insurance company failed to pay up -- which seemed increasingly likely in light of the strategy that insurance companies had adopted in recent years, of merely advertising their services rather than actually providing them...