Which wheel setup from these? And freestyle rim?

Latenight
Latenight Posts: 47
edited May 2012 in MTB buying advice
Looking to buy a complete wheel, which setup of the below would you reccommend?

So my choices are

Hope pro Evo 2 hub + ns trailmaster

Nuke proof hub+ ns trailmaster

Nuke proof hub + ztr flow rims

Switch hub + ztr flow rim

Will the ns rim be like a normal rim even though it's freestyle. Would it still suit a mtb ride? I wouldn't mind trying a few jumps/drops/pump runs. Etc etc

Thanks

Thanks

Comments

• Latenight
    Anyone? : )
  • bails87
    bails87 Posts: 12,998
    What kind of riding, what budget?
    MTB/CX

"As I said last time, it won't happen again."
  • Latenight
    200 max inc a extra rim.

normal mtb through forests, offroad, with a little bit of small jumping here and there.
  • bails87
    So you want one wheel, front or rear?

And one more rim? To build onto hub and spokes you've already got?

I'd go for Arch EX or Crests rather than flows. I doubt you need the extra strength.
    MTB/CX

• Latenight
    yes sorry i forgot being vague isnt much help.

its a front wheel then a extra rim to build from my existing back hub.

its my budget for the moment then for a later date will update the back hub.

ill check out those. so the trailmaster is purposely built with extra strength for jumping, also meaning its a little heavier then the others.

i still want to consider it because if its just as good rim and will save me money then I may opt for it.
  • Latenight
    forgot to add..the rim must be white. so those rims arnt really an option.
  • bails87
    1: You can't just 'swap' hubs and rims. It's a time consuming job that often works out more expensive than just buying a new wheel. Have you budgeted for new spokes on the wheel? You might have to buy new spokes when you put the new rim on the old hub, and then again when you put the new hub on the new rim. Just get a new wheel, all built up, it'll be cheaper.

2: The trailmaster is complete overkill, don't use it.

3: RWAR60002.jpg
    MTB/CX

• Latenight
    someone quoted me £25 to put a wheel together, otherwise got a friend of a friend im going to see.
  • bails87
    £25 isn't bad, but remember, you may well be paying for two lots of spokes if you do it how you've said above. Even buying one set of spokes, plus one hub, plus one rim plus £25 for a build will be more expensive than just buying a new, whole wheel.
    MTB/CX

• Chunkers1980
    Chunkers1980 Posts: 8,035
    Sure we've been through this. Buy a whole wheel.
  • Latenight
    I am now as before was going to buy parts separately...i cant afford a whole back one aswell but still want a matching rim for the back.

wish my budget would stretch for this...well i never planned to spend this much on a bike.

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Hope-Wheels-P ... 556wt_1348

ill have a think.
  • bails87
    Your budget won't stretch?

But if you buy just a rim now, and a hub later you'll have to pay for:
    NOW: Rim, spokes, build
    LATER: Hub, spokes, build.

That's 2 sets of spokes and 2 £25 builds, plus a hub and rim.

If you wait and save up you'll only have to pay for one rim, one hub, one set of spokes and one build. Or get a prebuilt wheel and it'll cost you even less than that.

So if you're short of cash then don't buy a rim, build it, take it apart, fit it to anothe rhub and have it built up again. It's a very expensive way of getting a new wheel.

If you want new wheels then live off beans on toast for a week to save up the extra for the Superstar/Stans Crest combo at £220.
    MTB/CX

• leaflite
    leaflite Posts: 1,651
    +1
    You can have these in a choice of rim colours and everything:http://superstar.tibolts.co.uk/product_info.php?cPath=40&products_id=496

If you cant stretch to those, they do other wheelsets with cheaper rims for £163

The ns rims are totally the wrong thing for your type of bike, and if you want quality butted spokes you could be paying over £1 per spoke, making 2 wheelbuilds, not including the hub or rim, over £114.
  • Latenight
    yea i can get those i think!

just hope the hubs are good quality.

didnt know they were that reasonably priced.

thanks