Box Hill

islwyn
islwyn Posts: 650
BUGGER ME....

How nice is that new surface & no speed bumps?

Went and rode it for the first time today... Beaut.

Comments

• FransJacques
    FransJacques Posts: 2,148
    edited May 2012
    It's too easy now. Careful about climbing that shallow pimple and having any delusions you're Pantani.

IMO they shoulda put Whitedown on the olympic route...
    When a cyclist has a disagreement with a car; it's not who's right, it's who's left.
  • jibberjim
    jibberjim Posts: 2,810
    Next weekend the wind direction is favourable for it too (wasn't this weekend so no super fast times on Strava) so we should then see exactly how much time has been taken off. In any case I'm sure the main reason of doing it to increase cavendish's chances of making it over the hill will succeed, is it really money well spent though?
    Jibbering Sports Stuff: http://jibbering.com/sports/
  • islwyn
    Without a doubt, anyone who's previously ridden it will get 10% on their PR.

It's been levelled out a fair bit.

I agree about whitedown but would you say the road is too narrow?
  • ugo.santalucia
    ugo.santalucia Posts: 28,309
    Better make the most of it, the speed bumps will surely be back after August
    left the forum March 2023
  • ilovebigwig
    ilovebigwig Posts: 118
    Hi, I'm new to this website/forum/area...can anyone describe to me how tough Box Hill is? It's almost impossible to get any actual facts about it. I ride around Richmond Park quite a bit, is it the equivalent to 5 Dark Hill's or anything like that? Sorry for the amateur vague question, just might head over after work one day and don't want to get caught completely with my pants down!
  • jibberjim
    Hi, I'm new to this website/forum/area...can anyone describe to me how tough Box Hill is? It's almost impossible to get any actual facts about it. I ride around Richmond Park quite a bit, is it the equivalent to 5 Dark Hill's or anything like that? Sorry for the amateur vague question, just might head over after work one day and don't want to get caught completely with my pants down!

It's easier than any of the hills in Richmond park. It's not much more than Kingston to Richmond Gate without the rest in the middle, obviously it's a little more than that, but as it's considerably less steep than either of three real hills in the park you'll have no trouble at all with it.
  • SmellTheGlove
    SmellTheGlove Posts: 697
    First time I rode it I thought I'd found the wrong hill so rolled back down and did a repeat just to be sure.
    Fabulous view awaits if you ride a couple of hundred metres past the cafe.
    "Consider the grebe..."
  • islwyn
    First time I rode it I thought I'd found the wrong hill so rolled back down and did a repeat just to be sure.
    Fabulous view awaits if you ride a couple of hundred metres past the cafe.

+1... Clear day and you'll see France if you jump high enough to look over Ditchling Beacon :D
  • Edward H
    Edward H Posts: 38
    No no, please no more jokes about Surrey Hills, your killing me!
  • rodgers73
    rodgers73 Posts: 2,626
    I'm sure it's a nice place and all that but living in South Yorks I get a bit tired of hearing about this place. Every cycling mag on the shelf mentions it most issues and London cyclists seem obsessed with it. Seems like a bit of a fuss over nothing really - whats the gradient like?
  • jibberjim
    rodgers73 wrote:
    I'm sure it's a nice place and all that but living in South Yorks I get a bit tired of hearing about this place. Every cycling mag on the shelf mentions it most issues and London cyclists seem obsessed with it. Seems like a bit of a fuss over nothing really - whats the gradient like?

It's 5%
  • bikergirl17
    bikergirl17 Posts: 344
    that is really the average? feels closer to 3% -- it just feels like a long road between me and a biscuit at the cafe at the top!

the hard way would be coming up to box hill from headley (and descending via zig zag).
  • rodgers73
    rodgers73 Posts: 2,626
    jibberjim wrote:
    rodgers73 wrote:

It's 5%

Views look nice though :-)
  • jibberjim
    that is really the average? feels closer to 3% -- it just feels like a long road between me and a biscuit at the cafe at the top!

the hard way would be coming up to box hill from headley (and descending via zig zag).

The average is maybe 4.9 - it really depends where you finish it. The last bit is the flattest. The start is the steepest other than the inside of the 2nd zig (zag?) so you do the steepest bit where you're freshest.

Not sure what you mean by Headley though - that's even shallower. Pebble Hill up from Betchworth to headley is pretty steep though.
  • bikergirl17
    bikergirl17 Posts: 344
    mean the reverse of what i do coming down box hill, which is go through box past headley down into epsom. it feels like 7 miles of pure downhill, so i *assume* it will be a bit of climb coming the other way.

perhaps it is because i sometimes approach box hill from that dorking-ranmore-denbies climb that box hill feels so gradual. that said, i am not exactly breaking any time records!
  • Wirral_paul
    Wirral_paul Posts: 2,476
    jibberjim wrote:

The average is maybe 4.9 - it really depends where you finish it. The last bit is the flattest. The start is the steepest other than the inside of the 2nd zig (zag?) so you do the steepest bit where you're freshest.

I thought all the jokes about Box Hill from my fellow Northerners were just a bit of banter but really - that sounds like a truly pathetic excuse for a hill!! :lol::lol:
  • mrushton
    mrushton Posts: 5,182
    Is that it - 5%? Over how many km? Anyone who rides in Wales or Northern England around Yorks or Lancs is riding those grades all the time? If you live in Holmfirth that gradient is known as flat. Still, give the mamils something to brag about when they get their Strava times on the Garmin on Monday mornings.
    M.Rushton
  • Wirral_paul
    Wirral_paul Posts: 2,476
    http://www.herneweb.com/climblog/

2.8k at 4% average, max 6% ?? Does seem like the Olympic Road Race course is being tailor made for Cav then hey!!
  • Le Commentateur
    Le Commentateur Posts: 4,099
    That loop is a kind of Hillingdon cycle circuit for the pros, with a 30 mile run in afterwards. The finale is going to be something like the Melbourne world champs race, a mass gallop to the line, with people trying to get away/stay away on the flat after Richmond Park.
  • willy b
    willy b Posts: 4,125
    rodgers73 wrote:

Know what you mean, after living in Sheffield for 4 years, and prior that Nottingham I'm used to hills.

Now living in London, when I first rode Box Hill I was a little surprised how easy it was. However you've got to take what you can get, and for the South it's a good hill. No doubt there are probably harder ones out there!
  • roger_merriman
    roger_merriman Posts: 6,165
    willy b wrote:
    rodgers73 wrote:

Know what you mean, after living in Sheffield for 4 years, and prior that Nottingham I'm used to hills.

Now living in London, when I first rode Box Hill I was a little surprised how easy it was. However you've got to take what you can get, and for the South it's a good hill. No doubt there are probably harder ones out there!

it's one of the easiest ways to climb the North Downs ridge but, it has a cafe with views at top and it has mini alp switch backs.

Much like in the 100 greatest climbs, at least around my folks place the climbs chosen and great road climbs but what they are not is the hardest challenge.
  • ugo.santalucia
    A climb doesn't need to ba a 20% wall to be hard... even 2Km at 5% can be hard if you push... anyone can go up Box hill no problem, try going up box hill on the 53 at 16 mph!
  • jibberjim
    A climb doesn't need to ba a 20% wall to be hard... even 2Km at 5% can be hard if you push... anyone can go up Box hill no problem, try going up box hill on the 53 at 16 mph!

But I go up Box Hill in the 38 at 16mph... is that easier?
  • mrushton
    mrushton Posts: 5,182

I can do that on a 48 or a 50 but as posted, it's easier on a 36 or 38. At a push I can prob. get near 16mph on my fixed with a 48x19 or 20. It's just that CW seems to make out that Box Hill is some kind of deity that only the greatest of cyclists would dare attempt when in fact you could go riding in Airedale/Wharfedale/Nth.Lancs and be on that grade and above all day. I'm not including climbs like Rosedale,Park Rash or HardKnott.Just normal riding in those areas.
    M.Rushton
  • ugo.santalucia
    mrushton wrote:

I can do that on a 48 or a 50 but as posted, it's easier on a 36 or 38. At a push I can prob. get near 16mph on my fixed with a 48x19 or 20. It's just that CW seems to make out that Box Hill is some kind of deity that only the greatest of cyclists would dare attempt when in fact you could go riding in Airedale/Wharfedale/Nth.Lancs and be on that grade and above all day. I'm not including climbs like Rosedale,Park Rash or HardKnott.Just normal riding in those areas.

Stop believing the hype then, magazines have to sell tosh to make a living... hype is all around... even the Alpe d'Huez is not such a hard climb, where I come from we have a dozen climbs harder than the Alpe d'Huez and there's not much hype around them.
    Box Hill is a very beautiful road and if you go there early in the morning before the crowds it's very special... one of the few places in southern England to have some kind of alpine feel about it... the woods, the hairpins...
  • cougie
    cougie Posts: 22,512
    If I never hear of Box Hill after August it will be too soon. Cycling Weekly have been banging on about it for years now in every issue.

If its as easy as everyones saying - you'll not be able to tell its a hill on TV.
  • Le Commentateur
    Le Commentateur Posts: 4,099
    +1

It has everything the Surrey mamil needs: a carpark at the bottom (Rykas cafe), a gentle steady gradient and a cakeshop cafe at the top.
  • ugo.santalucia
    cougie wrote:
    If I never hear of Box Hill after August it will be too soon. Cycling Weekly have been banging on about it for years now in every issue.

If its as easy as everyones saying - you'll not be able to tell its a hill on TV.

The PROs will go up it at 20-23 mph, so yes, not much of a hill for them... even Cavendish can probably keep up... although having seen him in the equallly easy hills of the Milan Sanremo... :roll:
  • dsoutar
    dsoutar Posts: 1,746
    where I come from we have a dozen climbs harder than the Alpe d'Huez and there's not much hype around them.

Name them - we demand to know !!