MTB Buying Advice

tonionio
tonionio Posts: 29
edited May 2012 in MTB buying advice
Hi there guys.

I am onto buying a used mtb 1-2-3 years old...I found some bikes here and on gumtree.
For example I found an Orange P7 at a good price and I would like to know if it will do the job.
I am looking for something that will be decent off road and to be aple to commute if I need to!Can I put road tyres on these wheels? (sorry if q is stupid :P )

I was wondering what options do I have...I also have in mind a boardman pro , a rock lobster and some other bikes...

Thank you for ur time

Cheers

Nick

Comments

• tonionio
    Anyone ?:(
  • nicklouse
    nicklouse Posts: 50,675
    It might it might not.

It might be good it might be dead.

Used bikes are used how can anyone offer any opinion without seeing what you are looking at?
    "Do not follow where the path may lead, Go instead where there is no path, and Leave a Trail."
    Parktools :?:SheldonBrown
  • tonionio
    http://www.gumtree.com/p/for-sale/orang ... /101716118

viewtopic.php?f=40050&t=12851994&p=17600709&hilit=rock+lobster#p17600709

http://www.mtbe.co.uk/boardman-pro-hard ... 24151.html

These are the options I am looking at...Basically I am looking in general and try to find something suitable for offroad and be able to commute when I need to .

Thank you or ur answer. :)
  • bartimaeus
    bartimaeus Posts: 1,812
    A hardtail will be fine on road, and you can buy 26" road tyres or semi-slicks or commuting... lots of people commute on MTBs and you'll get plenty of advice on set up the Commuter part of the forum. If you are riding on roads a lockout on the fork can be useful.

The bikes you mention (P7, Boardman Pro, Rock Lobster) are all good for off-road use - but as Nick says any given bike may be a bargain or trashed... depends on how old it is, how it's been ridden and how it's been looked after.

You'll only get meaningful advice if you link to specific bikes.
    Vitus Sentier VR+ (2018) GT Grade AL 105 (2016)
    Giant Anthem X4 (2010) GT Avalanche 1.0 (2010)
    Kingley Vale and QECP Trail Collective - QECP Trail Building
  • tonionio
    So basically I should avoid buying a bike without seeing it first right?

I have bought and sold stuff before and I completely understand what ur saying and you are 100% right.
    The thing is that some adds seem ok others are not...
    Pfff so confusing :)

How can I understand if the fork is in good shape and not a wreck?

I hope I find what I am looking for...I really like the lobster and the boardman...The P7 seems good but the looks are just ok :P

Cheers and thnx
  • chez_m356
    chez_m356 Posts: 1,893
    the P7 seems too good, £300 for a a 2 yr old £1500 bike,especially for an orange, which have quite a fan base, sounds a bit iffy to me, he could probably sell the forks alone, for somewhere around that on ebay
    Specialized Hardrock Sport Disc 10- CANYON Nerve AM 6 2011
  • rebel_brown
    rebel_brown Posts: 126
    chez_m356 wrote:
    the P7 seems too good, £300 for a a 2 yr old £1500 bike,especially for an orange, which have quite a fan base, sounds a bit iffy to me, he could probably sell the forks alone, for somewhere around that on ebay

I agree, the P7 looks too good to be true. Probably stolen.
  • Mikelancs
    Mikelancs Posts: 99
    Worth a punt but ask the orange seller for the frame number so you can check on the bike register website. Even if it hasnt been registered it will give you some indication as to wether its been nicked - either he will pass it over willing, not give it you at all or tell you it's not been registered - meaning he is probably the original owner.
    2012 Giant TCR Composite 3
  • tonionio
    Is there a way to understand if the fork is in good condition or not?

cheers
  • cooldad
    cooldad Posts: 32,599
    Try it out.
    I don't do smileys.

There is no secret ingredient - Kung Fu Panda

London Calling on Facebook

Parktools
  • tonionio
    Well if you meet someone with the bike in central London its going to be a bit hard to try it out!
    Any other tips?What should I be careful of?

thnx for the reply man
  • cooldad
    Only way, you can't tell by looking at them, unless they are obviously totally trashed.
    You don't need to ride down a mountain, but you do need to try them out.
    I don't do smileys.

Parktools
  • The Rookie
    The Rookie Posts: 27,812
    The Orange is a bargain, it may be knicked or may just be someone with more money than sense, I got a similar bargain recently and the seller was genuine as he still had all the receipts and guarentee made out to his name and address.......A test ride will tell you if a bike is good, but a good bike set up badly (like gear indexing) will ride the same as a bad bike......
    Currently riding a Whyte T130C, X0 drivetrain, Magura Trail brakes converted to mixed wheel size (homebuilt wheels) with 140mm Fox 34 Rhythm and RP23 suspension. 12.2Kg.
  • chez_m356
    The Orange is a bargain, it may be knicked or may just be someone with more money than sense,
    must have a lot more money than sense if this is the best description he can give-
    The frame is a 19 inch frame, it has fluid disk brakes and air front suspension
  • 101_North
    101_North Posts: 607
    The P7 is never a 2010 bike. Looks more like a 2008 (maybe earlier) to me.

• Chunkers1980
    Chunkers1980 Posts: 8,035
    Meeting in central London, dodgy discription, possibly the wrong year, cheap. All the signs of being knicked to me.
  • tonionio
    How can I tell which year the bike is?

I mean its really amazing...Out of curiosity I ve called the guy and the phone is closed.
    They probable buy sim cards for one use and then get rid of them...
  • Chunkers1980
    Chunkers1980 Posts: 8,035
    Frames. Changes in gussets, welds, stays ect. Spec to some degree
  • 101_North
    Went to check images of the 2008 frame on Google images - check out the 4th image on the top row:

http://www.google.co.uk/search?q=orange ... 66&bih=653

Looks pretty much the same image as the Gumtree add except it's from a thread on Singletrack forum which was started over a year ago. It's also clearly identified as a 2008 frame.

If you follow the link in the thread you get this:

http://s1108.photobucket.com/profile/jamesorangep7

Those photos certainly look familiar!

I'd stay clear - something doesn't seem right!

• chez_m356
    101_North wrote:
    Went to check images of the 2008 frame on Google images - check out the 4th image on the top row:

http://www.google.co.uk/search?q=orange ... 66&bih=653

Looks pretty much the same image as the Gumtree add except it's from a thread on Singletrack forum which was started over a year ago. It's also clearly identified as a 2008 frame.

If you follow the link in the thread you get this:

http://s1108.photobucket.com/profile/jamesorangep7

Those photos certainly look familiar!

I'd stay clear - something doesn't seem right!

yes, definitely the same pic, no doubt potential buyers will be invited to meet on some secluded street corner somewhere
  • tonionio
    Something else...Lets say that we have a 2010 P7 a 2011 P7 and an orange Crush 2010 and all three are in really good condition...
    Also the 17" p7 will it fit me ok?I am 5'10''

Which one do you choose?

Ohh and something last did the 2011 model came out in black?Or just green and brown?

Cheers and thnx in advance
  • 101_North
    I've a 17" P7 and I'm 5ft 9. Fits like a glove. Reckon it should be OK for you but there's no substitute for sitting on one. I think black is a custom option for the 2011 - standard colours were the brown and green. 2010 standard colours were white and black. Can't advise on P7 or Crush though. That's up to you. Can you ride them?

Just to check - are you still refering to the 2010 P7 which you linked to earlier? Even if the ad was genuine it didn't look like a 2010 frame. It looked like a 2008.

• tv
    tv Posts: 338
    chez_m356 wrote:

I agree, the P7 looks too good to be true. Probably stolen.

Thats what I was thinking
  • tonionio
    101_North wrote:
    I've a 17" P7 and I'm 5ft 9. Fits like a glove. Reckon it should be OK for you but there's no substitute for sitting on one. I think black is a custom option for the 2011 - standard colours were the brown and green. 2010 standard colours were white and black. Can't advise on P7 or Crush though. That's up to you. Can you ride them?

Just to check - are you still refering to the 2010 P7 which you linked to earlier? Even if the ad was genuine it didn't look like a 2010 frame. It looked like a 2008.

What do you mean with the question if I can ride them ?Sorry I dont understand :P
    As far for the bike , no I am not talking about that one.
    Cheers and thnx for ur answer man.
  • 101_North
    I just meant do you have the chance to try any of the bikes/frames before you buy?

• tonionio
    Unfortunately no man :(
  • tonionio
    Can I ask something else...

What would you choose between a Boardman pro 2012 and a Pure 7 2011?
    And what opinion do you have for the rock lobster ti?

cheers :)
  • tonionio
    anyone ?:(
  • chez_m356
    tonionio wrote:
    anyone ?:(
    from the specs i've just seen by googling, id say the Pro
  • cooldad
    Can't be arsed to Google everything, if the person can't post links to what they're looking at...
    I don't do smileys.

Parktools