Thigh burn/pain

AAG
AAG Posts: 123
edited May 2012 in Commuting general
Hi,
After completeing my first full week of commuting and after 3 days off my thighs still ache.

Ive try searching here but nothing as yet, so can anybody point me in the right direction as to what i can take or do, if supplements is what i need then tablets are best for me.

Also i do stretch before and after.

Thx.
MTB- Cannondale SL2 2011
Road- Saracen Sestriere now winter bike
Road- Trek Domane 4.5 2013

Comments

• godders1
    godders1 Posts: 750
    What distance is your commute?

Sounds like DOMS:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Delayed_on ... e_soreness

It should pass, try a few short, low intensity rides over the next few days.

Over the next few weeks I'd see if you can make other arrangements to travel to/from work on the odd day (say Tues and Thurs) to give your legs a rest. Build up to doing it daily.

Also try getting some carbs and protein back into your body soon after each ride (protein to repair muscle tissue and carbs to replace glycogen stores). Plain old chocolate milk from the supermarket is good for this. (This might be a bit OTT if your commute isn't a great distance although probably still worthwhile initially as your body is getting used to the additional exertion).
  • AAG
    AAG Posts: 123
    Oops its only 3.6 miles each way, but from tomorrow i was going to do 7.4 miles to work, 3 times a week
    MTB- Cannondale SL2 2011
    Road- Saracen Sestriere now winter bike
    Road- Trek Domane 4.5 2013
  • Hi - I'm new to commuting (a couple of months) I had the same thing.. Knees, Thighs throbbing - for me it took about three weeks to stop aching! :-)
  • twist83
    twist83 Posts: 761
    If you have gone from doing little Exercise to banging out just over 7 miles a day, 5 days in a row that is probably why! Stretch out after and before but it will dissapear with time.
  • Initialised
    Initialised Posts: 3,047
    It's growing pains, a sign that it's working and you are building up muscles in your legs, it will pass in time, I used to get it bad, couldn't sit down for more than a few minutes without aching down my thighs. Now that I'm used to a daily ride ~7 miles each way it's mostly gone. For now use hot baths, ibuprofen and stretch/warm up before and stretch again after each ride. A high protein diet for a while can help muscles develop quicker.
    I used to just ride my bike to work but now I find myself going out looking for bigger and bigger hills.
  • jonomc4
    jonomc4 Posts: 891
    I find having a protein drink help my muscles repair quicker (well about halves the time) - I always have one now after coming back from a hard ride.