New to sportives. How hard is Le Terrier?

young dog
young dog Posts: 64
Hi folks.

I am new to sportives and am thinking of entering le terrier in the Forest of Bowland.
There seems to be a lot of conflicting information about how difficult it is and I am wondering whether to enter the 71 or 104 mile routes.
On cyclosport.org, they rate it a 5 for difficulty. Yet I have read a thread on another forum and this guy said that he was frightened of it, but he hadn't ridden it.

Thanks for any help. :)

Comments

• 3Pears
    3Pears Posts: 174
    youngdog,
    is this a quote ? If not, your at least one of the organising team, don't ask a question bout your own event to plug it - poor effort :evil:
  • maddog 2
    maddog 2 Posts: 8,114
    how hard is hard?

well it depends on how strong you are....

It's easier than the Fred but still a tough day in the saddle.

Have you done a 100 mile ride with 3000m of climbing before?
    Facts are meaningless, you can use facts to prove anything that's remotely true! - Homer
  • Brian B
    Brian B Posts: 2,071
    Probably one of the hardest 100mile sportives on the calendar - if not as tough as the Fred then its only just. I had bad weather on this event last year but thoroughly enjoyed it.

If this is a plug then good luck :|
    Brian B.
  • nickwill
    nickwill Posts: 2,735
    Agree completely Brian. I think the weather made it particularly hard last year, but the relentless progression of hills has something to do with it. One of the top sportives on the calendar. I'm looking forward to doing battle with the revised route this year.
  • maddog 2
    and it'll set you up nicely for the Bowland badass.... :wink:
    Facts are meaningless, you can use facts to prove anything that's remotely true! - Homer
  • nickwill
    maddog 2 wrote:
    and it'll set you up nicely for the Bowland badass.... :wink:
    Think that one is just going a step too far! A good route has it's own logic.
  • young dog
    young dog Posts: 64
    Just spotted this thread on the forum.
    It was news to me as it had my name with it. I have since found out that 2 friends of mine??? Have been having a laugh at my expense. They both called round on Monday eve to test a 16yr bottle of Lavagulin and when I was letting our dogs out for their pre bedtime amble, they decided it would be a bit of a giggle to post on the forum on my iPad!
    Oh well, you live by the sword eh?
    Nick, fancy coast to coast to coast on 23rd June with us. 1day 260 miles. think Maddog is joining us, but not entirely sure. :D
  • nickwill
    Tempting! I think I better see how I survive the Fred Whitton before I commit myself to anything. Thanks for asking, I'll certainly give it some serious thought.
  • Edward H
    Edward H Posts: 38
    Just checked in to Swan Hotel. Thought I would have a look on the forum.
    Is someone having a laugh with this ride, surely they can't think it's as hard as The Fred. Drove past the Forest of Bowland this morning and had a little peep from the ride HQ on up to Jubilee Tower? Obviously it goes straight into the hills, but they aren't that big. It must obviously get harder.
    I see cyclosport only rate it a 5 for difficulty. Are they correct or is someone having us on? :roll:
  • nickwill
    Edward H wrote:
    Just checked in to Swan Hotel. Thought I would have a look on the forum.
    Is someone having a laugh with this ride, surely they can't think it's as hard as The Fred. Drove past the Forest of Bowland this morning and had a little peep from the ride HQ on up to Jubilee Tower? Obviously it goes straight into the hills, but they aren't that big. It must obviously get harder.
    I see cyclosport only rate it a 5 for difficulty. Are they correct or is someone having us on? :roll:

It really is hard. People that did the Fred Whitton last year followed by Le Terrier were recording similar or slower times on Le Terrier. None of the climbs are massive, but there's hardly a flat section. On the Fred you do get a chance to draw breath between the set-piece climbs whereas Le Terrier doesn't give you that luxury. The last few miles are murderous around Roeburndale. They include a bridleway section that is like a partially surfaced footpath. Having said all that it probably isn't quite as hard as the Fred Whitton but it gives it a run for it's money. I reckon it's one of the best few events in the North of England and deserves to be seen in the same light as the Fred and the Etape du Dales.
  • Tom Butcher
    Tom Butcher Posts: 3,830
    Seeing as I've entered it's hard in what way - long steady climbs or super steep gradients ?

it's a hard life if you don't weaken.
  • maddog 2
    a mix of the lot...

Bowland Knotts is from the long and steady side, and Tatham Fell/Cross of Greet is fine, with a bit of a kick at the end. But then you have a knotty last section with the climb up Lowgill, Roeburndale, and Littledale - all pretty steep. It's a good route - some of the best that Bowland can offer.
  • Edward H
    Well you guys seem to think it's tough. More confused after your posts. I have looked at the website, which I must say is a bit crappy and there really doesn't seem to be many big hills! And where exactly is Roeburndale?
    Let's see how The Biggy goes tomorrow and I may well come back up to ride this event. It sounds like a magic trick- a tough ride on easy roads? :)
  • Brian B
    Brian B Posts: 2,071
    Edward, hope you've done well on the Fred today - wind was brutal and at times just ridiculous. If you'r up for another hard event then try the Le Terrier - it truly is a tough as the Fred. The Fred has a hard last 20 miles with Hardknott/Wrynose combo - wait until you do the last 20 on the terrier. Just constant up and down and no room to get any decent pace going.
    Brian B.
  • parky53
    parky53 Posts: 41
    Edward H wrote:
    Well you guys seem to think it's tough. More confused after your posts. I have looked at the website, which I must say is a bit crappy and there really doesn't seem to be many big hills! And where exactly is Roeburndale?
    Let's see how The Biggy goes tomorrow and I may well come back up to ride this event. It sounds like a magic trick- a tough ride on easy roads? :)

There's no magic about Le Terrier - it's a tough ride on (mostly) tough roads. I've done it twice and each time I have clocked a slower average time than on the Fred in the previous month. Don't judge an event by the website - the Fred has a sponsor to pay for their website - le Terrier is put on by cyclists for cyclists and is the real deal. Come back and comment on it *after* you've done it!

By the way, I'm not surprised that you are puzzled by the local geography ("where exactly is Roeburndale?") - you'll certainly know where it is after you've ridden there! The roads are blissfully depopulated and virtually car-free - because most people only know about the nearby Yorkshire Dales and Lake District and drive past this gem of an area in total ignorance. It's a glaring case of 'know what you like - like what you know'.

Best wishes,

KEITH
  • Edward H
    Ok, ok, I am going to sign up.
    Yes, thanks Brian, had a good Fred for me, but am already thinking it might not be the highlight!
    Terrible journey home, M6 around Birmingham particularly bad, even for a Monday morning.
    Done a bit of research about Le terrier and area today: the queen is the Duke of Lancaster and owns large sections of The Forest of Bowland. Duke of Westminster, Lord Peil, NWW seem to own the rest.
    Dunsop Bridge (owned by the queen) is the geographical centre of the UK.
    I also found a Sportive called Bowland Badass! Sounds like Britains Marmotte (or harder) - 160 miles, 18,000ft of ascent!!!! Makes me feel inferior. Who the hell will be riding that! Some Greek cycling God perhaps.
    LancasterCC, who run Le terrier are having a coast to coast later in June. They don't have to organise transport back to Lancaster as they are riding back! Coast to coast to coast in 24 hours.
    Anyone riding :D with them?
    Think the tv stations should do a feature of the areas cyclists as they are clearly a bit different. Sounds like there is a huge North South divide! Nothing in the South comes anywhere near those (nut cases) guys up there.
    It looks like new standards of difficulty are being set. I will find out for myself.
    Oh, and I still don't know where Roeburndale is!
    Ps A lot of exclamation marks in this post
  • kayo74
    kayo74 Posts: 299
    Well I keep looking at this sportive and getting mixed views so booking on the 71 miler and if I manage it ok will opt in the 100 miler next time. If all fails the Mrs can pick us up.......lol.
  • Edward H
    Sounds like a sensible idea. It looks as though they seem to change the routes every year, so you might get just the one chance to ride this 100 miler. Last years routes were slightly shorter but the climbing looks about the same.
    Have you looked at last years times on the website? Fastest rider was just under 18mph ave, fastest rider on The Fred just over 21mph. Yes I know, it all depends on the quality of the riders, but last years route was 10 miles shorter than The Fred.
    Looking forward to this one and it looks like the weather is improving.. :D
  • Tom Butcher
    Nearly here. Going to drive up on the day so going to be a very early start to get there - hoping to depart about 7.45-8 - from what I can tell that's OK for the long route ? Not planning to hammer it for a time so hopefully the weather is nice and I can enjoy the ride.

• maddog 2
    Roeburndale is 92 -97 mile on this map

http://ridewithgps.com/routes/817698
  • Escher303
    Escher303 Posts: 342
    Nearly here. Going to drive up on the day so going to be a very early start to get there - hoping to depart about 7.45-8 - from what I can tell that's OK for the long route ? Not planning to hammer it for a time so hopefully the weather is nice and I can enjoy the ride.

Forecast says all day drizzle I'm afraid!
  • Tom Butcher
    Met Office is saying clear at the moment - well checked Lancaster and Settle anyway - there's a band of rain forecast and they aren't sure how far north it'll reach - Le Terrier is pretty much the top end of where it might get to so could be dry or could rain all day. Anyway it's forecast to chuck it down all day where I live so it's gotta be better than that - hasn't it :|

• Tom Butcher
    Oh well - now saying heavy rain from 6am til 6pm - possibly torrential around noon :x

• Agent57
    Agent57 Posts: 2,300
    young dog wrote:
    coast to coast to coast on 23rd June with us. 1day 260 miles.

Nutters! ;)

I live in Lancaster (well, Morecambe), so I really should do Le Terrier one year. But... well I'm rubbish up hills. Just getting up Jubilee Tower is a mammoth struggle for me, and that's only a few miles out of town, so I dread to think what 40, 70 or 100 miles of that would be like!
    MTB commuter / 531c commuter / CR1 Team 2009 / RockHopper Pro Disc / 10 mile PB: 25:52 (Jun 2014)
  • Agent57
    Agent57 Posts: 2,300
    Oh well - now saying heavy rain from 6am til 6pm - possibly torrential around noon :x
    Well, that's a bummer - my wife and kids are off to a street party along Morecambe prom during the day. Might come home a little damp... :lol:
    MTB commuter / 531c commuter / CR1 Team 2009 / RockHopper Pro Disc / 10 mile PB: 25:52 (Jun 2014)