Tubeless ooze!

Sambuca
Sambuca Posts: 116
edited May 2012 in MTB general
Have recently mounted up some standard non tubeless maxxis tyres on tubeless rims, got them on fine and inflated and holding pressure. Noticed the next day a black oily ooze coming out around the bead - still holing pressure but it's a few big drops each day and is oily to touch. Can't see how it can be the stans sealant escaping as surely it would deflate at the same time??

Comments

• Northwind
    Northwind Posts: 14,675
    Also Stans sealant is white. Has it got the Black Oil Virus?
    Uncompromising extremist
  • Sambuca
    It was white when I put it in.... Black oil virus??
  • Northwind
    Sorry,that was a crap joke

TBH I have no idea what it is- the sealant'll sometimes leak a little but it comes out as white as it went in, or should. Is it coming from both tyres?
    Uncompromising extremist
  • Sambuca
    Ha I see! Yeah both tyres stood up overnight and you can see it running from the bead down the tyre and on the garage floor, about the size of a 50p pence each tyre, one is an older Minion super tacky and one is a brand new 60a ADvantage
  • YeehaaMcgee
    YeehaaMcgee Posts: 5,740
    It's probably the Stan's sealant, but it's picked up a bit of dirty crap from the tyre on it's path to oozing out.
  • cat_with_no_tail
    cat_with_no_tail Posts: 12,981
    It's probably the Stan's sealant, but it's picked up a bit of dirty crap from the tyre on it's path to oozing out.

This, can't see what else it would be, unless you store your bike in an oven or something.

[crudcatcher response] It's probably got aids[/crudcatcher response]
  • austinsoft
    austinsoft Posts: 12
    Hi OP
    I emailed Stans about this when it happened to my tire.
    Was running cheapo version of Conti Speed Kings. Say tire, as it only happened with the rear tire.
    Clearish oil with a black tinge.
    Stans requested photo, but never got any further info after sending pics in. The tire stopped leaking the liquid after about a month and all is good now ;-)
    Mike.
    <a>My Bike </a>
  • Sambuca
    austinsoft- that's interesting that they wanted to see it, one of mine has lost a little air but not much so hopefully will sort itself after a bit of settling in, cheers
  • nicklouse
    nicklouse Posts: 50,675
    remember the issues a while back where the sealant was eating the rubber of some tyres to such a degree that on maker had a list od what tyres not to use with their sealant.

Nom Nom.
    "Do not follow where the path may lead, Go instead where there is no path, and Leave a Trail."
    Parktools :?:SheldonBrown
  • Northwind
    Aye, I was wondering about that... And the photo that people always use to illustrate it is a highroller iirc, that's gone a bit elephant man. But I've used loads of maxxi tubeless and they've all been fine- seems it'd take a lot of tyre to turn sealant black.
    Uncompromising extremist
  • austinsoft
    Heard all sorts of rumors about plasticizers leaching from tires etc and saw the pictures, but my tire suffered no noticeable deterioration.
    I have probably done around 500 miles since going tubeless and around 400 since the oily substance stopped leaking out.
    So hopefully no problem for the OP either ;-)
    Mike.
    <a>My Bike </a>
  • YeehaaMcgee
    YeehaaMcgee Posts: 5,740
    austinsoft wrote:
    I have probably done around 500 miles since going tubeless and around 400 since the oily substance stopped leaking out.
    So hopefully no problem for the OP either ;-)
    Mike.
    Yeah, but when the Mayan prophecy comes true, we know you're the one to blame though. Little black oily marks today, apocalypse tomorrow.
  • austinsoft
    YeehaaMcgee
    Mayan prophecy: The world won’t end, as a newfound calendar goes on and on and on, bit like this post LOL
    Mike.
    <a>My Bike </a>