OT - Lavazza ModoMio coffee machine

optimisticbiker
optimisticbiker Posts: 1,657
edited May 2012 in Commuting chat
As made by AEG or Saeco or Gaggia or whoever they want to be today...

Just acquired one of these (or rather Mrs OB did). Seems to be a fine art between getting a jug of foamed milk and an overflowing jug of hot water and milk... think I've wasted about a pint of milk practicing so far.. :lol:

Any tips on technique...?
Invacare Spectra Plus electric wheelchair, max speed 4mph :cry:

Comments

• iPete
    iPete Posts: 6,076

Just acquired one of these (or rather Mrs OB did). Seems to be a fine art between getting a jug of foamed milk and an overflowing jug of hot water and milk... think I've wasted about a pint of milk practicing so far.. :lol:

Any tips? No but you're going to waste more than a pint to get it right :D

I seem to recall placing the steamer near the bottom and raising it closer to the top as it warmed whilst swirling it around but its been a few years!
  • Just help yourself to Tailwindhome's milk. Doesn't matter how much you use, he seems pretty laid back about such things. :wink:
    Nobody told me we had a communication problem
  • optimisticbiker
    optimisticbiker Posts: 1,657
    iPete wrote:

I seem to recall placing the steamer near the bottom and raising it closer to the top as it warmed whilst swirling it around but its been a few years!
    I can get it perfectly on the one in the office... but that doesn't have any limit on the amount of steam produced...
    Invacare Spectra Plus electric wheelchair, max speed 4mph :cry:
  • DrLex
    DrLex Posts: 2,142
    iPete wrote:

echoed, plus use semi-skimmed (not a lot) in a metal jug. I've become lazy and just use a Nespresso whisking frother (no steam) - far easier and less to clean.
  • twist83
    twist83 Posts: 761
    Have a read of this (When you have an hour....)

http://coffeegeek.com/guides/frothingguide/steamguide

If you do not have one I would advise a thermometer. It makes it far far easier as it is too easy to overheat the milk or not enough to get the sweetness it creates at the right temperature.

Do not forget the knock and spin at the end to get ride of any larger bubbles as well.