Quick Release help

leonr
leonr Posts: 83
edited May 2012 in MTB general
Hi,

I was wondering if somebody would be able to clear up hub sizes and how quick release standards work?

For example,http://www.chainreactioncycles.com/Models.aspx?ModelID=12910

Do these fit any 10mm rear hub compatible frame? My frame takes 10mmx135mm , not sure if it 'supports' quick release though? How does the mechanism work?

Thanks!

Comments

• ilovedirt
    ilovedirt Posts: 5,798
    Yes, 10mm or QR dropouts will take 10mm or QR(9mm) hubs.
    Production Privee Shan

B'Twin Triban 5
  • specialeyes
    specialeyes Posts: 542
    What axle size does your hubs have?

Link won't open for me for some reason
  • leonr
    I think the site is slow.

I'm actually building my bike up, so I have no rear wheel to look at.
    It's a Kona coiler 2005 , I measured the 'axle' diameter holes on the rear of the frame and they are 10mm, I know the rear widths hould be 135mm, i'm just unsure of which hub I can use basically.
    If it gives me a choice of...

Hub QR
    Hub 10mm
    Hub 12mm

I guess 10 and QR would both fit ok?

Thanks very much guys!!
  • oodboo
    oodboo Posts: 2,171
    leonr wrote:
    I guess 10 and QR would both fit ok?

Yes, I used to have a qr on the back of my enduro but then I changed the hub to 10mm thru axle. Both work with standard dropouts.
    I love horses, best of all the animals. I love horses, they're my friends.

Strava
  • leonr
    Cool, thanks for that.

So how does the QR actually work? Why does 9mm fit a 10mm drop out hole? obviously i'm missing something here.. is it a 10mm hollow axle, and the skewer goes through it or something?
  • oodboo
    oodboo Posts: 2,171
    The qr is only about 4mm or something. It's the hub that's 10mm (the part that rests in the dropout). IIRC rear hubs are 10mm and front are 9mm.
    I love horses, best of all the animals. I love horses, they're my friends.

Strava
  • specialeyes
    imag0193k.jpg
    10mm through axle hub

imag0195zm.jpg
    10mm through axle qr
  • leonr
    This is exactly why I am confused... is your hub above classed as a 'QR' hub? or just a '10mm hub' ?

(options online usually just say QR,10mm,12mm so not much detail as to what you would expect to receive)

(Thanks for the pic btw!)
  • specialeyes
    http://superstar.tibolts.co.uk/product_ ... cts_id=342
    My hub.
    It basically a fatter qr. You can change the hole size by swapping adaptors. It's qr because it can drop out of the frame when loosened without having to remove the skewer.
  • cooldad
    cooldad Posts: 32,599
    Standard rear drop outs are 10mm, so either QR or 10mm axle will fit. Front QR is 9mm.
    I don't do smileys.

There is no secret ingredient - Kung Fu Panda

London Calling on Facebook

Parktools
  • leonr
    http://superstar.tibolts.co.uk/product_info.php?cPath=31&products_id=342
    My hub.
    It basically a fatter qr. You can change the hole size by swapping adaptors. It's qr because it can drop out of the frame when loosened without having to remove the skewer.

Ok cool, I suppose what I mean then is why do they bother having the QR option, why isn't it just 10mm and 12mm with the QR axle like you have? It would still function the same?
  • cooldad
    cooldad Posts: 32,599
    Presumably solid axles are stiffer than hollow ones.
    I don't do smileys.

There is no secret ingredient - Kung Fu Panda

London Calling on Facebook

Parktools
  • nicklouse
    nicklouse Posts: 50,675
    leonr wrote:
    This is exactly why I am confused... is your hub above classed as a 'QR' hub? or just a '10mm hub' ?

(options online usually just say QR,10mm,12mm so not much detail as to what you would expect to receive)

(Thanks for the pic btw!)
    Qr and 10mm are the same unless the frame takes a though axel where you will need to remove the axel to fit remove the wheel.
    "Do not follow where the path may lead, Go instead where there is no path, and Leave a Trail."
    Parktools :?:SheldonBrown